Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has experience this. It's a buzz-sound when the bike is running/ignition is on. When the bike is stopped it makes a "click" sound every time I apply the break handle. The noise comes from the handle area near the break-fluid reservoir.
This happened after I removed the tank today to fix something else. Could it be connected?
Also after I put that tank back on, the bike started to pop and back fire. Did attach everything I took apart but will remove the tank again to double check. Any ideas ?
Appreciate any help with this. The bike is new to me ( since about a week ago) but the guy who owned it before didn't take really good care of it.
2005 vtx 1300 c. About 30 K miles
I'm trying to get it into top shape.
Thanks,
N

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
What was the "something else" that you fixed when the tank was off? Knowledge of that might help others with a diagnosis. Just to be clear, the "buzz-sound" that you hear when depressing the front brake lever occurs when the bike is turned on and running but NOT moving - that is, not being ridden, correct? I ask this because a buzzing or cricket/cicada like sound is common when the front brake lever is depressed while being ridden.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Vinish. The " buzzing" sound from the break is happening as soon as the motor is on, while idling or while riding.
The reason I took the tank off was to stop a rattling sound that increased while riding faster than 55 mph. After I had done it all, and the tank is now solid, took a test drive and discovered that the sound was still there. It turned out to be the radiator. Working on tightening that up today. Must have accidentally created a vacuum somewhere.... I did open the air-box, looked ok and sealed it back up. Could the problem be there for the backfiring?

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Possibly the speedo bezel vibrating. Start the bike and place your hand on the bezel to see if it stops making the noise.

Noises on a machine are strange, they may sound as though they are coming from one place, but be from another.

Sent from somewhere in the deep East Texas Piney Woods using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
While riding the buzzing or clicking sound is caused by the brake pads moving over the drilled holes in the brake rotor. The click near the brake lever while stopped could simply be the brake lamp switch which is located within the brake lever housing.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I don't like to disagree here.Lol. but!
Yea it can be the bezel but you are saying it happens when you apply the front brake.

Nope! Your pads have been changed to after marke pads. The buzzing you are hearing is the way the groves in the pads are passing over the holes in the rotor. It s a common thing with certain brands of aftermarket brake pads. You are just going to have to live with them until you change to a different brand.

Donut/Doug

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
Folks, read his problem description more closely. This is why I asked the question in post #2 in this thread. The sound occurs when the bike is turned on but NOT MOVING. His problem has nothing to do with any pads passing over holes in the rotor since the rotor is not spinning when he has the problem.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
sorry Jim; I misunderstood sometimes I do that ( my bad). I thought he meant when moving and applying the front brake, again sorry.

Doug

·
Registered
882 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has experience this. It's a buzz-sound when the bike is running/ignition is on. When the bike is stopped it makes a "click" sound every time I apply the break handle. The noise comes from the handle area near the break-fluid reservoir.
This happened after I removed the tank today to fix something else. Could it be connected?
Also after I put that tank back on, the bike started to pop and back fire. Did attach everything I took apart but will remove the tank again to double check. Any ideas ?
Appreciate any help with this. The bike is new to me ( since about a week ago) but the guy who owned it before didn't take really good care of it.
2005 vtx 1300 c. About 30 K miles
I'm trying to get it into top shape.
Thanks,
N
1)When the bike is stopped it makes a "click" sound every time I apply the break handle. This one is the switch for the tail light.
2)Also after I put that tank back on, the bike started to pop and back fire. On this one You need to check/replace all of the vac. lines and check the tee fitting for a crack, the line can be gottin' at any auto parts store for about $10.00 and will be better than the stock hose.
3)It's a buzz-sound when the bike is running/ignition is on. Sounds like a vac leak (a hose just on a fitting but not all the way on. or a crack "buzzing") The fix in #2 should take care of this one too.

·
Registered
882 Posts
sorry Jim; I misunderstood sometimes I do that ( my bad). I thought he meant when moving and applying the front brake, again sorry.

Doug
I get this one on mine all the time. Drives me nuts to hear it. Its almost like having a playing card in the spokes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Success and humble pie...thank you's and apologies.

I want to thank you all for very useful ideas and suggestions.
This morning I took off the tank and double checked all the hoses and snipped a few ends that did have plenty of cracks ( will buy new hoses for future), took apart the Speedo Bezel and added cushion and tightened all the screws. That sound is gone.
And also tightened up the exhaust shields that vibrate occasionally and the bike is BACK! Powerful and without excessive popping she did well on a test drive. The vibration sounds that made me take off the tank in the first place is fixed!
I will look into a de-smog procedure to see if the popping will go away even more but for now I'm happy.
The issue with the hand-break is still going on but much less. The vacuum fix seem to have helped all kind of sounds.Thanks to your suggestions I'm not worried.
I found out that the bike has aftermarket pads. Should I replace the switch or just leave it?
I also want to apologize for my description of symtoms.
I was wrong. The "clicking" happens when the bike is off or idle. The "buzzing" is when I'm riding.
Sorry Jim. Forgive a Newbie? I will do better, promise.:eek:

Time to go for a ride! The last sunny day for a while in Oregon the weather-man predicts.
Again, MANY THANKS!
Nina

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I have aftermarket (EBC) front pads on mine, and they're MUCH more noisy then the stock Honda pads...Just using mine up, then I'll get Honda pads when I change them out, and just deal with the noise until then...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll do the same. Have lots of pad left.
Thanks to all for help. So much to learn, a great forum and awesome bikes....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts