Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am probably going to kick my "premuim channels" from my DirecTV account and go to streaming video. It's just a cost thing, I switched from Comcast a year ago, and got a bunch of bonus rebates that made each bill cheaper. These bonus's are aging off now and the damn bill is out of hand. However just killing the movie channels is not an option. My wife loves movies. One thing I've been looking at (and will probably try) is video streaming over the internet.

Right now, I'm paying $36/month for HBO, Showtime and Starz with DirecTV. For streaming, you have to buy the streaming box, it's +/- $100, and you have to pay whatever service you want to use for it's content. I'm thinking of Netflix, and Hulu. Netflix is mostly movies, and Hulu seems to be primarily TV shows. Both cost $8/month. $16 total for an unlimited account. So I can trim $20/month from my viewing costs. Also streaming is VOD. I don't have to pay attention to what is on. I can find something when I want to.

What I want from you guys is some info on quality. DTV is flawless, with almost no service interruptions, but expensive. My cable service is 6M download so connection speed should not be an issue. My TV is a 46" HD TV however it is an older model, and is NOT 1080p. Only 1080i.

How is Hulu to work with? Quality of rented shows? Especially HD shows. Any pixellation? Sound drop-outs?

Same for Netflix. I know they're easy to work with, I've rented DVD's from them for years. How is their streaming quality?

Lastly, I've about decided on a Roku box ( www.roku.com ). The one I'm looking at is the HD box. It's the "middle of the road" box. If you have this box (or any Roku box) please share your thoughts about them.

Thank You for your time.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Might want to look into a Boxee also. You can download the software for your computer for free and if you like it you can buy the hardware version. Or you can do like I did and setup your computer as a media server.

I love my Netflix streaming! they don't have everything you are looking for but they have a lot

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
No personal experience, but I've heard good things depending on the Internet Connection. I've heard 3mb is minimum, 6 or over is good.. But keep in mind not all "6Mb Internet Connections" are the same.. In your contract, there is no guarantee of speed. Never will be. Nature of the beast.

You can go to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and test it out a few times.. Try different areas, and check different times of the day.

If you can average between 4mb and 6mb you will be fine.

I'm 8Mb, averaging 9.5Mb. It could also be higher :)

-Gonz

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well the only input I can offer is on the Netflix streaming movies. I have not had any problems at all and the quality was excellent. The issue i had was with my service provider, every once in a while i would get a message saying my connection had slowed and the Netflix server needed to adjust my buffer or something to continue uninterrupted playback. This usually occurred around 7:30 or 8pm on thursday or friday nights when it happened, not every week but often enough over the last yeqar for it to stick in my mind.

I have a 46" 720 HD tv or something, whatever is the step down from the 1080s. I hooked up 2 different ways;

1. Laptop w/wireless internet hooked to the tv
2. Nintendo WII w/the Netflix disc (you dont need the disc now, just download the netflix channel form the Nintendo store)

The picture from the laptop was the best but more of a pain to hook up since the WII stayed hooked up all the time.

I just cancelled my subscription Sunday for a variety of reasons, Not as many new movies as i would like, cost, frequency of use, etc.

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
No personal experience, but I've heard good things depending on the Internet Connection. I've heard 3mb is minimum, 6 or over is good.. But keep in mind not all "6Mb Internet Connections" are the same.. In your contract, there is no guarantee of speed. Never will be. Nature of the beast.

You can go to http://speakeasy.net/speedtest/ and test it out a few times.. Try different areas, and check different times of the day.

If you can average between 4mb and 6mb you will be fine.

I'm 8Mb, averaging 9.5Mb. It could also be higher :)

-Gonz
wow...i was curious...ran the test here. download speed was 0.70 mb/s. i miss the cable modem. maybe someday this area will catch up with civilization :nope:

·
Cafe Founder & VTX lover
9,667 Posts
Here's a few suggestions....

First, what I did. I bought a dell computer and just upgraded the video card to a HD card with HDMI...with the PC I can do Hulu, Netflix, FanCast, any network site which most have their shows in HD, and I can also do Stagevu.com and watch ripped DVD movies....just got there, click channels, and look for movies. With Boxee, some DVD players, etc they seem to limit you as you can do Netflix but not Hulu etc.

As for your questions, try Hulu, it's free and the same with Fancast. You can use my login and try Netflix, just shoot me an email if you want to try it.

I'm trying to talk Bonnie into canceling Directv totally and doing internet and OTA HD...all major networks I can get at home over the air for free and in HD. Oh, and Blu Ray players like my Sony stream Netflix and Hulu Plus if connected to the internet.

·
citement
2,236 Posts
I'm a huge boxing fan so I plan on keeping my directv showtime. As far as movies go, I can do video on demand at 1080P with directv if it's not offered on Showtime, I don't believe that netflix can do 1080P download. My TV gives me the option of downloading from Amazon, can't say I've ever tried it though. Also as an avid NFL fan I have the Sunday Ticket which only directv offers.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
With Boxee, some DVD players, etc they seem to limit you as you can do Netflix but not Hulu etc.
Yes, and no....

Boxee has a built in browser for going to Hulu. Hulu has a real problem with allowing third party software to access their system and is constantly upgrading to block it.... this is why Boxee added a browser just for this problem...

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I don't know if I'll go as far as Big X did. I'd probably give it a show, but my wife is what I call "technologically challenged". She was happy 30 years ago when you threw up an antenna and got what you could pull in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts