Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:coffee: I'm heading out tomorrow morning for my trip to Sturgis! I'm riding from Erie, PA on my 2006 1300-C with just the essentials and 2 good friends. It's my first time to South Dakota, any words from the wise?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
If you MUST come to Sturgis....and have the time...don't leave until two days after it's officially over. Then, use those two days to do the sightseeing and riding you tried to do during the rally.
The back roads are nightmare, and you can expect LOOONNNNGGGGG delays...but, the day after, it's vacant out there.

Bubba

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,421 Posts
first of all, have a great time, wish I was going with you, second of all, I'm in NE Ohio and often come to Erie........stay in touch, there's another guy I ride with from Erie......

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
If you MUST come to Sturgis....and have the time...don't leave until two days after it's officially over. Then, use those two days to do the sightseeing and riding you tried to do during the rally.
The back roads are nightmare, and you can expect LOOONNNNGGGGG delays...but, the day after, it's vacant out there.

Bubba

I couldn't agree more. We usually ride out a few days before Sturgis so we can check out all the vendors, and then ride our a##es off before anyone gets there. Ask the locals where to ride- any ride with the word "canyon" in its name is going to be worth riding. Where are you staying? Oh, have fun....

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts

Bubba
Aw come on Bubba tell him the truth. You don't need two days you will need a minimum of 4 just to get started good.

Just got back from that area a couple of weeks ago. Spent 5 days going as hard as we could and didn't get to do near what we wanted. Unfortunately we were in a Suburban and not on the bikes. Doesn't make the country any less beautiful and a must see.

1st •> :choppersm2nd •> •> :choppersm3rd •> •> •>:choppersm4th •> •> •> •> :choppersm Gone •> •> •> •> •> _____ :choppersm​
Switchblade 2up Windshield, Clocks4bikes Clock-Thermometer, Big Bike Parts/Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, BrakeAway Throttle Control, •• Cobra Highway bar, Luggage Rack, Sissy bar & Tribal Insert, Saddlebag Supports ••, Barrel Bag, •• Saddleman Shockover Saddlebags, SaddleStow Sissy Bar Deluxe Bag ••, Willie & Max Windshield bag, VTXExhaust.com 12" Short, VTX Master Cylinder covers, WhyPush "X" Air Box, K&N Filter, Cycle House side covers, B&B FM, Rivco 6" risers, Coyote Gas Cap hinge, •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss, SwingWing Foot Pegs ••, Rivco Passenger boards/forward adaptors, Hondaline Chrome Light Bar for 1800C, HealTech Digital Gear Indicator/eCaddy Accessory Mount, Cardo Intercom Scala Q2, iPod, Avon Cobra 200-130 tires & Dyna Beads -- MeanCity Cycles Seat mod, Rivco Tachometer, Peaceful Cruisin Tank Bib -- next on list….

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
I'm heading out for the last weekend of the rally will be at Hill City Mt. Rushmore KOA campground. I'll send you a pm with my number if you are still around then. Aug. 8th - 10th. good luck have a great ride

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got back, left on Sunday got back last night. Great time, I wanted to get there before the big crowds got there. just the right amount of people. I could look at the bikes while I was moving instead of sitting in traffic. I camped at Bear Butte Campground, close to Buffalo Chips and Full Throttle.

·
Floor Board Scraper
623 Posts
I'm leaving on Saturday for Sturgis. Maybe see you there!!!

·
Registered
4,151 Posts

Bubba
i agree with you bubba, if and when i go thats what i will do

·
Registered
178 Posts
Bubba is dead right. A lot of those riders are very inexperienced riders, they bought into the harley image, but they truly dont ride very often or very far. I saw two guys almost miss a turn riding the needles highway. I saw another guy on main street who a friend had to pull on the trunk to help him back out of his parking space.

I saw another guy who barly made it through Spearfish canyon in one piece.

·
Floor Board Scraper
623 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Try and eat at the Alpine Inn in Hill City. Awesome!!

http://www.alpineinnhillcity.com/

I was passed today on I-135 in Wichita KS by an SUV filles with guys and stuff and one Pickup pulling a trailer. The pickup had 2 bikes in it and the trailer had 4 bikes. Two looked like custom type choppers with wide rear tires and long front ends.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Aw come on Bubba tell him the truth. You don't need two days you will need a minimum of 4 just to get started good.

Just got back from that area a couple of weeks ago. Spent 5 days going as hard as we could and didn't get to do near what we wanted. Unfortunately we were in a Suburban and not on the bikes. Doesn't make the country any less beautiful and a must see.

Well, not actually..if you can skip the 'family' places, and just ride, ride, ride, you can get a bunch of the things done in just a couple of days, but yes, ideally, a week without the other bikes around would be ideal. Then a person could enjoy the rides AND the sites. Me, I just go whenever I have a day off, and sometimes when I have an excuse...

BUT...next week, we ride to Canada...get OUTTA here during the rally!!!

Bubba

·
9,160 Posts
Ride safe and have a good time. :patriot:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts