Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am thinking of going to Sturgis, SD this August. As a newby, I wanted any and all opinions on where to camp. I have found several things on the net for consideration, but I am still torn. I want the true Sturgis experience as this is the reason I am going. I am currently considering staying at The Buffalo Chip. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Depends upon what you want. The Chip has lots of concerts during the rally, lots of 'bead earning' type things go on as well. (if you catch my drift). Most of us locals avoid the chip except for the concerts...but then that's because we live here year round. For the most part, ANY campground is going to be ok. The closer to the heart of the action, the better, and the chip is, in it's own right, ONE of the hearts of the action...you'll be ok there.

Me and my wife, we are riding to Canada this year during the rally, last year we went to Minneapolis, next year..well, who knows, anywhere is better than here during the rally!

My honest advice, stay an extra 3-4 days...that way you can actually go ride in the hills without the mass of riders that are here during the rally.
The roads that take forever to travel during the rally, are almost empty in the two or three days following...much nicer rides then. Also, you can get some killer deals the last day from a lot of the vendors.

Hope this helps...others will probably chime in...

Bubba

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bump!

·
Wanderer in training
5,307 Posts
I stay at a campground near Mt. Rushmore, but am not a party type of guy anymore. I go to ride and see the sites. Usually only spend about 4 - 6 hrs. in town, see vendors get a t-shirt or two eat lunch that type of thing. Also to get a picture of my bike parked downtown. to each their own, like most things personal preference drives the choices we make.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts