Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a pretty new rider. 2009 VTX 1300R with 11,700 miles. In southern California so temps dont get below 40 typically, even first thing in the morning.

I have been having quite a few issues with the bike. First, if it is below 70 degrees, the bike will not start without the choke out. Beyond that, I have to keep the choke out approximately 1/2" to keep the bike running well.

The power curve, if put on a graph would look something like this:
__
/
___ /
/ \__/
/
/

It dips on acceleration from a stop and will stall out really really easily, often half way through the intersection after I am already off and moving. The bike will also spit and sputter when revved in neutral and on acceleration. I have tried to adjust the idle with the knob below the air box but I cannot figure it out still. Any help is welcome.

I am still a new rider and, although I prefer to work on my own stuff, I am not extremely experienced mechanically. So if you could, please include explanations, no abbreviations, and directions on how to do something if giving a solution. Thank you all!!

·
Super Moderator
9,695 Posts
You probably need to clean the carb and rejet the carb using a Factory Pro jet kit and a Glen's permanent A/F screw. You can find lots of info on how to do this by searching this site.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,214 Posts
Pull your spark plugs they are fouled. Clean or replace (not cost much).

Then avoid using the enricher because all that does is dump fuel into engine, more than can be burnt, leading to quickly dirty plugs struggling to fire.

Also might need to dig into carb and check the rubber diaphragm but start with plugs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My first though would be the air Fuel adjustment . I also use the choke to start my bile for about 10-15. Seconds. I also turn my idle up in the winter time. Takes a while to warm up so it won't cut out. 2005 VTX 1300 R

·
Registered
34 Posts
This sounds stupid and I'm not trying to offend but are you sure you're pushing the choke all of the way in? I've noticed with mine if the choke is pushed nearly in it will not idle and will run poorly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m positive. If I push the choke in all the way it will not run, even after being choked for 2 minutes. But if I intentionally leave it out about a half inch, then it runs really well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts