Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a neighbor who should not have a motorcycle. He has dropped it three or four times, because he is only about as tall as “Mickey Rooney”. I won’t go into his other shortcomings; dent in tank, bent & scratched left rear view mirror, damaged left handle grip, bent left foot peg, scraped paint down to the metal on rear left swing arm, etc…
He purchased 2010 Honda 1300CS Sabre back in February at the local stealer. Walked in said I want that one, they fixed him up $12,559.00. (I know they saw him coming)

I ordered him some ISO grips, and a set of Cobra Fatty engine guards and install them for him.

Then I offered to help him out and replace both the broken left turn signals front and back, damaged during one of his drops.

Has anyone ever replaced one of the OEM turn signal assemblies?

The new one has two wires coming out of the stem with a quick connect on the end.
The OEM parts image shows a machine screw that goes into the stem from behind an ABS plastic molded part that mounts under the rear fender.
Looking under the fender I can see a screw that looks like 8mm bolt, but cannot see where the connector for the wires is. I suspect it goes under the molded plastic part that holds the taillight and licenses plate.

(I know the Forum police are going to chastise me for posting here, so just wanted to let you know I posted it over there also.)

Need your input, how-to or suggestions.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just follow the wires that are on the bike. The connectors should be as far up the wire as the connectors on the new light.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Risers to move the handlebars back and the shortest shocks available for it. What size rear shocks on it maybe he can go down to 11.5 to lower it some to get his feet down for more control. Without looking at the bike I'm guessing.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Risers to move the handlebars back and the shortest shocks available for it. What size rear shocks on it maybe he can go down to 11.5 to lower it some to get his feet down for more control. Without looking at the bike I'm guessing.
No rear shocks on the Sabre 1300CS. It has one nitrogen filled hydrolic shock under the seat on the bike. The frame is designed like the Yamaha V-twin 1100 bike.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
with all those short comings, the only suggestion i have is take away his key before his last short coming is never coming back up

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with all those short comings, the only suggestion i have is take away his key before his last short coming is never coming back up

I rode with him on one short ride and I thought if he doesn't kill himself he is going to kill or mane me.
I let him take the lead and when he remembered to use his turn signals he would not cancel them and cars would make the assumption that he was going to turn left and they would turn in front of him then he would get upset.

Then I suggested that he ride behind me, bad idea he almost ran over my foot and twice came close to rear-ending me.

He is just dangerous, and when I try to educate him he sulks up and get defensive. I am just trying to keep him from getting hurt or killed.

I'm old, but he is just one year older than me, he is just a old dumb fart

·
Registered
821 Posts
He may not like it and you may not either, but if he's so stubborn you may have to get downright rude with him about it and insist that he take at least one riding course. Sounds to me like he's on track to getting someone killed. I think that's a little more important than hurting his feelings. Hopefully you can convince him of the safety issues and get him to go.

That being said, there are people out there who don't belong on the road, whether it's on two wheels or four.

I feel sorry for the bike.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
He may not like it and you may not either, but if he's so stubborn you may have to get downright rude with him about it and insist that he take at least one riding course. Sounds to me like he's on track to getting someone killed. I think that's a little more important than hurting his feelings. Hopefully you can convince him of the safety issues and get him to go.

That being said, there are people out there who don't belong on the road, whether it's on two wheels or four.

I totally agree.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
+1 :banghead:

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
+3...basic riders course. Never leave home without it.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Any more riding with this guy would have to be under the condition he take & pass the rider safety course PERIOD!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Did your friend just start riding?He does have a lic. to ride?if he does he must have passed the test,I would try to talk him into going to a parking lot & hone his skills.
I have such a friend & its hard to talk to people sometimes even if its constructive.
Ride safe!

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
I rode with him on one short ride and I thought if he doesn't kill himself he is going to kill or mane me.
I let him take the lead and when he remembered to use his turn signals he would not cancel them and cars would make the assumption that he was going to turn left and they would turn in front of him then he would get upset.

Then I suggested that he ride behind me, bad idea he almost ran over my foot and twice came close to rear-ending me.

He is just dangerous, and when I try to educate him he sulks up and get defensive. I am just trying to keep him from getting hurt or killed.

that was what i was referring to...
i've rode a bike 37 years (since age 6 with years of dirt bike racing) and street bikes since (since age 16 and drag racing bikes into my late 20s)...years ago, i took the riders course with a friend who wouldn't take the class unless i took it with him...after years of riding and having a license, i took the class "for him"...after getting there and watching, i was like cool, this is very interetesting but i already know how to do all this...i actually ended up learning several things in that class and made some good friends out of the class...
my point, no matter what you've been doing or how long you've been doing it, you're never too old to learn something new...like a few have said, it's seriously time to lay down the law with your friend...feelings aside, family comes first and unless he takes the class he would no longer ride with me as i wish for me (and him) to come back home to our families, and he's too big of a risk to ride with until he takes the course...
we're never to old to be corrected and never too old to learn something new :cheers:

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Have a sit down and a beer or two with him and express your genuine concerne for his and other's safety whej he's on his bike...I'm sure he doesn't want to endanger others due to his obvious lack of experience...Then maybe get him to take the MSF course, and you take it with him so he has a "buddy" there (his age) with him...You obviously care about him enough to help him repair his bike, and try to get him to be a better rider....I told Jenny that when I get her old CB450 ready to ride, we'll both take the MSF course together...She said that she'd rather have me there with her than go at it alone...

·
Registered
2,622 Posts

there are times when the best thing we do is nothing. we try to help but in the end, at times get hurt ourselves. if he wants to ride, he'll have to learn. if he doesn't want to learn, YOU can't teach him. usually, it's a lifestyle/lifetime issue with some people and i know a little about that type of destructive behavior in many other topics. I"m an ex professional...

Did your friend just start riding?He does have a lic. to ride?if he does he must have passed the test,I would try to talk him into going to a parking lot & hone his skills.
I have such a friend & its hard to talk to people sometimes even if its constructive.
Ride safe!
even if he/she passes test, we know that some people take a little longer than others. some are willing to learn, others just say they are. good intentions can/will put us in the hospital too, as they run over you! even though i was in the army, i learned something from sea/water rescues. at times, they throw you a lifeline, a lifesaver. you're not a lifeline, a lifesaver, you will get drowned!

the other part about all this, if you're out with them, and he happens not to listen, besides the fact that the nice bike is getting totaled, he may wind up hurting someone else...how are you supposed to be feeling about it then. now the personal accountability comes into view. we are responsible for our actions also. i could go on with something personal, but enough to say that i stopped riding a few years back as a choice. either that or stop drinking/druggin. i chose to stop riding, which was a miracle, but this only happened after a few of the guys i knew had gone down one last time...just my $.02, it doesn't have to be that dramatic, but at times, life is!!! bless, ride safe, even if it means riding alone...:choppersm

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Some just don't need to be on a bike.

Last summer I took a new guy to the area on a ride, he has a Triumph triple street.

We did about 60 miles and I said to myself not again, He swore up and down that he was just rusty from not riding for 15 years or so and said the reason he took the time off of them was because he had gone down in gravel spots a few times.

A few weeks ago our group had a ride and he was there and I told everyone to watch him like a hawk.
We got about 8 miles out of town on a real twisty road he was in front of me and going into one of the turns blue smoke was boiling off his tires yep he locked them up, the old fart won't lean, won't counter steer and if he can't turn the bars to make a turn he panics.
Needless to say but I dropped back almost a 1/4 mile behind him so I wouldn't have to run over him when he went down.

Heck I took him to a church parking lot and explained how to counter steer last summer but he refuses to go practice it.
Last night I got on his case about it and all he could say was I know I need to but but but but, I also told him to take the riders classes.

The guy is mid 60s and just not going to change.

·
Bryden, 1800 F
4,394 Posts
Back to the lights they are soldered in the socket and to the mother bored behind the brake lite it's that way on my F. i hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The guy is mid 60s and just not going to change.[/QUOTE]

Your acquaintance sounds just like the guy I’m talking about.

In a roundabout way I suggested some of the guidance all of you have suggested.

Although when I pushed the emphasis on safety relating to his actions handling the bike, he went off the handle on me with,
“I know what I am doing, I know more than you think I do, don’t tell me how to drive or handle my bike, I probably know more than you do.

Well “OK,” so I kept my mouth shut, and decided that perhaps I should just keep my distance, and limit my association with him.

I plan to keep my promise and complete the repairs on his bike, but after that I will just limit my contact with him until he changes his attitude.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Bill just fix his bike like you said you would and when done tell him you won't ride anywhere with him till you both go to a parking lot and do some practice.

Find a large enough lot where you can sorta do a make shift course, do an hour or so then make a decision more time in the lot or some road work it is your call and make sure he knows it.

Odds are he will tell you to go F-yourself and that is fine too but make it your law.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts