Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... well my sparkplugs are...
1300r, 07. Glenn's a\f tool. Stage 1rejet. California exhaust system removed. Cobra slipons.

Bought bike that sat for awhile, had carb\ exhaust issues from beginning. Had carb cleaner and re jetted. Added Glenn's tool and baffeld cobras. Got rid of the exhaust emission control crap and plated where the old was. I tried a decap of the air box for awhile.....all to no avail.
I can really smell the richness of my exhaust and I get 80 mi. out of my plugs, when I was riding. A\f adjustment doesn't seem to be adjusting at all while engine is warm. Not a mech for miles and the HD shop says busy until Nov. I can wrench, I am just humbly lost in direction and I'd rather not travel a road I don't need to or cause damage somehow....

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
781 Posts
Make sure the Choke (aka enricher) is not open. This will cause all the issues you have reported, since it dumps fuel instead of cutting back air. If it is pushed all the way in, there still is the possibility that the spring on the carb under the cable needs to be stronger. ACE hardware sells springs that look almost identical, but has a higher spring rate. I removed my choke cable, and used that stronger spring to make sure it wouldn't open on it's own.

For a quick spring fix, you can remove the current spring, and stretch it ever so slightly so it applies more force when installed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Make sure the Choke (aka enricher) is not open. This will cause all the issues you have reported, since it dumps fuel instead of cutting back air. If it is pushed all the way in, there still is the possibility that the spring on the carb under the cable needs to be stronger. ACE hardware sells springs that look almost identical, but has a higher spring rate. I removed my choke cable, and used that stronger spring to make sure it wouldn't open on it's own.

For a quick spring fix, you can remove the current spring, and stretch it ever so slightly so it applies more force when installed.
thx JPT....itll be my next go ahead.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Not what I expected. I thought we would see pictures of Robert Smith, David Steward, Oprah Winfrey, Tyler Perry, Michael Jordan, etc.

Reactions: JPT and chopr147
1 - 5 of 5 Posts