Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
New to the forum and yes I did a search for this topic. I found 1 post that mentioned them but had no real information and not photos.
I like to have a clean look on the bike with nothing hanging off it. I really like the bike to show it's true self.
Problem is I need to have some sort of storage. I would prefer not to put full Saddle Bags on or throw overs because to me they just look bulky.

I saw some Swing Arm Bags and was wondering if anyone has put any on or has used them. Additionally if you have any photos of them on your VTX1300 that would be cool too. Lastly if you have them installed how did you do it? Meaning did you just use the straps and attach them to something or did you use a bag mount of some sort? Any help or discussion would be great.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You sound like me! I hate the look of bags and stuff hanging all over. I don't even want turn signals license plates, etc. all over. Gives it a more clean look. I have an s model , but bought some wheels on ebay and cleaned them up really well. Boy, were they bad before I cleaned them! I got rid of all my signals and added a integrated taillight in the rear and integrated (small) mirrors in the front.I had a bracket for the license plate but had recently put it back on it's oem frame/mount. I have a small bag that attaches to the handlebars and rests freely on the headlight. I can fit a lot in this cause the buckles are adjustable. I always think about where I'm going first. If I know I will need storage, i throw on the bags. Most of my trips are short except when i go on vacation. Then I'll put the rear rest on with backpack attached to that, the bags on the side, and the windshield like the one pic . Boy , is it ugly then :) As I get older though, I tend to want a goldwing. I'm a few years away from retirement. I figure , I'll use it then. But, doesn't hurt to look. They are getting sportier and better every year. I'm a fan of the DCT too. I think the old ones were cool though (they were monsters). I know this is kind of contradicting.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the ideas and the photos. I was thinking about the front tool bag in addition to the swing arm bags (photo attached).
The photo does not represent the VTX and I have not really found any photos with these bags on a VTX. On the right side the exhaust is kind of in the way and on the left is the shaft and final drive.

I just bought the bike yesterday and am rather impatient. It would likely be easier if I just waited till I got it home but thats not how I operate. I do have the back seat and a very low sissy bar but my wife rides with me a lot and she generally has crap she needs to bring along.

I am usually pretty good at figuring this kind of stuff out and doing my own maintenance but my lack of patience is driving me to figure it out now.

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
You sound like me! I hate the look of bags and stuff hanging all over. I don't even want turn signals license plates, etc. all over. Gives it a more clean look. I have an s model , but bought some wheels on ebay and cleaned them up really well. Boy, were they bad before I cleaned them! I got rid of all my signals and added a integrated taillight in the rear and integrated (small) mirrors in the front.I had a bracket for the license plate but had recently put it back on it's oem frame/mount. I have a small bag that attaches to the handlebars and rests freely on the headlight. I can fit a lot in this cause the buckles are adjustable. I always think about where I'm going first. If I know I will need storage, i throw on the bags. Most of my trips are short except when i go on vacation. Then I'll put the rear rest on with backpack attached to that, the bags on the side, and the windshield like the one pic . Boy , is it ugly then :) As I get older though, I tend to want a goldwing. I'm a few years away from retirement. I figure , I'll use it then. But, doesn't hurt to look. They are getting sportier and better every year. I'm a fan of the DCT too. I think the old ones were cool though (they were monsters). I know this is kind of contradicting.
In many states not having turn signals and even removing side marker reflectors is illegal and can lead to tickets and fines (Just an FYI)

·
Registered
176 Posts
I've never had a problem and I've been pulled over with the bike the way it is now. Besides, I do have turn signals. They're just integrated, so when I use them they will show. . Also, it passes inspection. I could see you being right though even if it DOES pass inspection. That's how stupid our govt. and laws are. That is obvious nowadays! Different states , different rules. I thought I remembered reading that as long as you use hand signals, you don't need turn signals too. But, i could be wrong. Don't really care anyway as long as they don't bother me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts