Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, this is by all means not a comprehensive write-up....

The high-beam finally went out on my Silverstar H4ST after about 3-3.5 years. I have always liked and used PIAA products in my bikes/trucks in the past, so I figured I'd give one of their bulbs a try this go around. Yes, they are almost twice the price as the Silverstar, and much more than the Harbor Freight bulbs that people have started using around here.

While I changed my bulb, I figured I'd snap a couple pictures. Not sure what this tells anyone, although the PIAA did seem brighter in my garage. I get off of work at 0200, so I could use all the help I could get. I will see how this does tonight on my way home from work. They are both rated at 4000k on the Kelvin color scale and I couldn't find complete lumen specs to compare the two.

The PIAA I purchased is the Xtreme White Plus Anti-Vibration Powersports bulb. Part number from PIAA is 70456.
Here is a link to this bulb on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70456-Xtreme-White-Anti-vibration/dp/B000TK3U4O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1276547333&sr=8-2

Anyways, here are a few pictures...

The Silverstar still in the bike (low-beam):

The PIAA bulb packaging:

The PIAA bulb on the left and Silverstar H4ST on the right:

The PIAA bulb installed (low-beam):

Finally, a side-by-side (H4ST on the left - PIAA on the right):

As you can see in the picture with the bulbs next to each other, the PIAA has a blue cap on the end. This does add a slight blue tint to the light (I mean slight....I will be able to tell how "blue" it is on my way home from work). Just from seeing it in person and looking at the pictures, I'm somewhat surprised they have the same Kelvin color rating.

Anyways, there's my non-comprehensive picture comparison. :D

I will see how long this bulb lasts. I figured it was worth a try since I really liked PIAA products in the past, but only time and night riding will tell if it was worth it or not. Either way, to me, there was only one way to find out. :patriot: :choppersm

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
Gunna watch this...I need more light and haven't really even looked into switching blubs yet, been extremely lazy with this bike :banghead: But am curious to know what you think!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Looks like the PIAA is definitely brighter, but as you said, at a cost.

Are those the stock bulbs in your running lights?

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will definitely let everyone know what I think after I ride home in about 6 hours. :banghead:

Looks like the PIAA is definitely brighter, but as you said, at a cost.

Are those the stock bulbs in your running lights?
Do you mean the driving lights? If so, they are the stock bulbs and they are 35watt. Here's a thread about them: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=40889

·
Registered
23 Posts
i did a full HID upgrade. it was very easy and the ballast for the light fits into the stock light housing.

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Alright, my cold test ride home is done. :D

I will say right away that this is a brighter bulb than the Silverstar. How much brighter? Well, I don't think anyone could really say without some sort of measurement tools. Even then, the measurements can be off from real life experience. One of the biggest improvements that I noticed was more of the side of the road being lit up. The light is also projected slightly further down the road and it's noticeable at the higher speeds. Having a good size fox run right in front of me was a good reminder of why I have the brighter bulb and driving lights installed. This is a regular occurrence on my rides home. In a place where Elk, deer, foxes and coyotes are abundant, the brighter and additional lights are a safety addition and something I wouldn't consider optional.

Is it worth the difference in price? It honestly wouldn't be fair for me to answer this question either. Is it worth the difference for me? I can't really say that yet either, especially since I've had this bulb installed for less than 24 hours. Lifespan is a factor in whether there is value in the difference in price. If someone were to only buy/have one or the other, then there's no difference for them to notice!

Either way, as I said above, I have always been very pleased with PIAA products and I'm not expecting anything different here.

Do I regret my purchase? Absolutely not. There is a noticeable difference in brightness over the Silverstar and I'll take what I can get (while staying with a regular bulb).

I hope this helps for those of you who were looking for more information. Ask away if there are any other questions and I'll answer them as best as I can. :cheers:

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
I am interested in this also. I have the Silverstar H4ST bulb and could tell a big difference from the stock.

If I could get a headlight that matches the light given off by the PIAA lights that came on my HondaLine light bar I would be a happy camper.

I would just like to have the light that the stock bulb on my 750 Shadow Spirit gives off. Way more than even the Silverstar H4ST I got for the "X".

Don't mind the extra cash if I can get extra DISTANCE = Safety/Peace of Mind.

1st •> :choppersm2nd •> •> :choppersm3rd •> •> •>:choppersm4th •> •> •> •> :choppersm Gone •> •> •> •> •> _____ :choppersm​
•• National Cycle Switchblade 2up Windshield, National Cycle Switchblade Chrome Lowers •• Clocks4bikes Clock-Thermometer ••*Big Bike Parts/Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Covers, Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• BrakeAway Throttle Control*••*Paladin Highway bar •• Cobra Luggage Rack, Sissy bar & Tribal Insert, Drive Shaft Cover •• Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen SaddleStow Sissy Bar Deluxe Bag •• Willie & Max Windshield bag ••*VTXExhaust.com 12" Short •• VTX Master Cylinder covers •• WhyPush "X" Air Box, K&N Filter ••*Cycle House side covers, Biglry & Bones Fuel Management •• Coyote Gas Cap hinge •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss, SwingWing Foot Pegs •• Hondaline Chrome Light Bar for 1800C •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator/eCaddy Accessory Mount •• Cardo Intercom Scala Q2 & G4•• iPod •• Avon Cobra 200 -130 tires & Dyna Beads •• Tsukayu Strong bags/EasyBrackets •• Ultimate Lowrider driver seat with backrest and passenger seat •• Rivco Tachometer for 1800 C, Rivco 6" risers, Rivco Passenger boards/forward adaptors •• Big Bike Parts Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• Kuryakin Dually offset pegs, License Plate Mount for VX 1800C, License Plate frame, Texas Inspection Sticker plate •• Gremlin Bell -- next on list • Tweaked Scotrod Tool Bag mod, Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Xena XX14 Motorcycle Disc Lock Alarm, Stebel Horn, Progressive shocks….

·
AKA Pooch
341 Posts
I have the PIAA bulb and when it's on low beam for awhile, it just seems to go out. I switch to high beam and all is good??

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
I use Osram's 85/80W ultra high efficacy H4 bulb, for motorcycles and special-service use. (2400/1750) lumens. $24.00 + shipping.

It's brighter than any other conventional bulb that I've tried in that power range. I ride rough dirt roads frequently and it holds up to the pounding.

But then, I did the relay mod and only drive off road.:)

Geezer

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I have had mine in for about a year/6000 miles. I got it from a guy that is now a fellow X rider. I assume it is the same bulb due to the blue hue. Mine is adjusted too high, I have tried adjusting it a few times. The next time will be the charm. My Cobra light bar seemed to make the most difference, granted it cost more than a light bulb change.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts