Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of switching to snythetic oil in my 1800. Is it worth the extra money? What brand should I use?

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i would assume the 1800 would use the same as the 1300 (that's what i got). i use shell rotella t full synthetic 5w40(blue jug) and a napa gold/wix oil filter. many others use this set up along with a few others. i don't know what the filter number would be for the 1800.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I've been using Amsoil since my first oil change at 500 miles.
There the pioneers of synthetic oil and still make one of the best products.
You will notice a difference from the first start up after changing your oil.
The engine turns over easier at start up and the Honda clunk when you put it into first gear gets a little quieter. I also run Amsoil gear lube in the final drive.
As far as Oil first, after a lot of research I found that the Honda OEM filter is one of the best.
my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My dealer claimed I shouldn't use synthetic because it would damage the clutch. Is he on crack and referring to using synthetic car oil in the bike? I would think that synthetic oil for motorcycles would have sufficient friction for the wet clutch. Am I wrong?

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
should've asked him why honda makes synthetic motor oil for motorcycles with wet clutch function.....what dumbasses (dealers that is)

·
Registered
583 Posts
Those type of Dealers scare me, I guess thats why I do all my own work.
To many Dealers just don't have a clue.
Amsoil make a V Twin syn motor oil specifically for wet clutch operation.
Thats as bad as the old saying once you use syn you can't change back, or don't use syn in a new motor because the calenders won't seat in right. I wish these techs would spend some time reading fact sheets and quit repeating old wise tells.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Those type of Dealers scare me, I guess thats why I do all my own work.
To many Dealers just don't have a clue.
Amsoil make a V Twin syn motor oil specifically for wet clutch operation.
Thats as bad as the old saying once you use syn you can't change back, or don't use syn in a new motor because the calenders won't seat in right. I wish these techs would spend some time reading fact sheets and quit repeating old wise tells.
amen to all that brother..............:cheers:

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
WiVTX1800,

The WIX oil filter for the 1800 is 51358. Drop the first number and you have the Napa part number.

I use the AMSOIL, but others swear by Rotella, Royal Purple, Castrol, and Mobil1. They are all good. Just look for motorcycle-specific and avoid regular automotive blends which may contain "energy conserving" formulas. Basically that means extremely low friction which can adversely affect the performance of your clutch. Both 10W and 5W should be fine. The 20W is usually intended for H-D and other air cooled V-Twins, because they run hotter than water-cooled V-Twins. Living in the Desert SW, I have used the 20W synthetics also with no problems. The other benefits you will notice include smoother shifting and a cooler, quieter running motor.
Buda_Jim

·
citement
2,236 Posts
i would assume the 1800 would use the same as the 1300 (that's what i got). i use shell rotella t full synthetic 5w40(blue jug) and a napa gold/wix oil filter. many others use this set up along with a few others. i don't know what the filter number would be for the 1800.
What's the filter # for the 1300?

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
Tulsa -- Believe it's the same for both the 1800 and 1300 (WIX 51358).

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts

·
citement
2,236 Posts
I'm getting ready to change my oil, is this readily available at a napa store?

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
The 51356 is a car filter and a bit more than 3 inches long, while the 51358 is motorcycle-specific and so a little shorter. The 51356 is usually available at Napa, but you sometimes have to order the 51358. I get my 51358 filters from AMSOIL at the same I purchase their oil. Usually, I get enough for four oil changes at a time. Both filters should fit fine and the internal specs are the same. Great filters.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
the 51356 napa gold filter is the same legth and size as the oem honda filter. same exact measurements (length, diameter, thread depth). i know that cause i'm looking at both them at my desk as i type (not arguing buda just happen to have both handy in front of me). and as buda said tulsa 51356 is readily available at napa usually in stock. 51356 is a popular filter on this site too. 51358 will work just as well if napa has it in stock and is a good filter too as i have used them before too (they'll fit other honda outside the x also).

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I also used the Wix 51356 from NAPA....It's a little bit longer that the Honda filter, but that allows you to just dump the whole 4 quarts of oil in, and it's full on the stick....

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
I've never had them side by side. That's good to know, Whiskey. I have a filter cross-reference I used to select the 51358. The following list is provided as "M/C Filters":

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358
These are listed as 3.25" "Automotive Filters" that will work:

• Fram Double Guard DG7317
  • Fram PH7317
  • Fram Tough Guard TG7317
  • Fram Xtra Guard XG7317
  • Group 7 V4610
  • Group 7 V4620
  • Hastings LF240
  • Mighty M4612
  • Motorcraft Long Life FL-821
  • Napa FIL1356
  • Napa Gold 1356
  • Parts Plus PH2867
  • Pennzoil PZ-109
  • Penske 7317
  • Powerflo SL14610
  • Powerflo SL14620
  • Pro Gauge PGO-4620
  • Pro Tec 164
  • Promotive PH4610
  • Pronto PO3593A
  • Purolator L14610
  • Service Champ OF-4622
  • Shell SH48
  • Shell SH529
  • Stp S-02867.
  • Valvoline VO50
  • Warner PH2867
  • Wix 51356
Buda_Jim

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
cool, i like that list. just printed it off for future reference if my filter is not in stock.
thanks jim

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Hmmmm..the 51356 that I put on mine was longer than the one I took off the bike....Honda dealer changed the oil last time, at 600 mile service....

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
as we were all speaking on this thread i crossed referenced the oem filter (was actually trying to figure out why i had an oem filter for this bike in the first place...lol). i stand corrected and will admit i am wrong, the oem filter i am looking at is my old sabre. i am sorry for that mistake and i hope you guys will let me continue to be a member of the cafe...........:bleh: :D. but it is the 51356 or 1356 filters i use on the x. sorry guys. my bad..:spank:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts