Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my work cut out for me today.. Mustang Seat.. Iso Grips.. Freeway blaster horn.. Power distribution block mod.. 12V outlet install.. Tank bib.. Kruzer Kaddy drink holder.. Excited and ready to get to it as soon as 'Bama gets done whooping up on Kent State!! RTR!!

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
..add the Kermit Mod to that list.. license frame just came in the mail! :mosh:

·
aka The Rev
1,854 Posts
Well Bro I am excited to see your bike with it's new look. However, I don't think it is going to be Monday. I believe we are going to see nothing but rain. I will call you.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yeah, looks like the weather is going to call Monday.. Call me!

Well.. I did most of what I set out to do..
Power Distribution Block Mod.. CHECK!
12V outlet.. CHECK!
Tank Bib.. CHECK!
Mustang Wide Vintage Tourer.. CHECK!!! O..M..G it feels like another bike!! (Kimberly better not skip too many rides.. it looks GOOD solo!! ):mosh:
Freeway blaster horn.. CHECK!
Kermit Mod.. CHECK!
Kruzer Kaddy drink holder. CHECK! (although I'm glad the holder comes off, it will only join me on long rides, not too many places to put it on a "C")

I didn't install the Iso grips, I ordered a throttle boss and it is coming in a separate shipment (hopefully Tuesday unless UPS is delivering Monday). I think I read one of the threads that it is helpful to have the throttle boss when you install the grips to help get it in the right position. Any advice on that?

Now I'm having problems getting the last fender bolt on the left rear. I just can't seem to get it lined up. I think I'll post for that in the help forum to see if anyone has ideas or knows a chain store that has M10x1.25 taps.. I think I may have bunged up the threads trying to get it in. I ran the bolt in from the back side and it went all the way through though.. Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

Nonetheless.. it's a great feeling wrenching on the bike all evening then standing back and seeing the difference you made! Can't wait to take it on a long ride and see the difference this Mustang seat is going to make! :choppersm

·
There Can Only Be One
2,732 Posts
When tightening the fender rail bolts on one side, it helps to have the others loose. Then you can wiggle the fender a little to try and get everything lined up well. If you got it to go through from the back side, you should be good. I've had to do that with a few myself. Just go easy and take your time.

If you do need a tap & die set, Ace Hardware has a really good selection of metric parts. That's where I go for all my metric fasteners I've needed for the bike.

Good luck...bike's looking good! :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I've got plenty of time to work on it.. tropical storm Lee just dropped in to say hi and supposed to keep everything wet for a few days. Need the rain but it sure was nice getting to ride every day for the past month!

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I got the fender bolt installed.. I lifted the bike up on the jack so it was straight then ran the bolt in from the backside again.. this time all the way to be sure I cleared the threads in the outside of the nut. Then, I backed it out and tried it from the outside with my saddlebag and sissy bar in place and it went right in! I guess I didn't run it in far enough to clear the threads on the outside and that's why the bolt wouldn't start.

So, got it all together and ready to put some miles on this Mustang seat :choppersm.. as soon as Tropical Storm Lee goes away.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
The mods and the total effect look great. Glad you got the last bolt in. Sometimes when working I get frustrated and need to just walk away and do something else. I get tired and things don't seem to go right then. Later when I have relax and try it again it goes together just fine. No explaination for it I just know it works.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Be sure to keep an eye on that Radiantz plate frame. The first one I got had some bad LED's in it. It was replaced free of charge. It seems the manufacture had a bad batch of lights.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Be sure to keep an eye on that Radiantz plate frame. The first one I got had some bad LED's in it. It was replaced free of charge. It seems the manufacture had a bad batch of lights.
Thanks for the head's up Wayne, I'll keep an watch on that. Looks really cool!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Thanks for the head's up Wayne, I'll keep an watch on that. Looks really cool!
The first one I got I tested before I put it on and it was fine but after a couple of days half of the light strip went out. I had it replaced and 10000 miles later still burning bright.

·
Premium Member
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Power distribution block mod what is this
That's where you install a fuse block on the bike (I put mine on the tool box door) so you can safely attach accessories (such as a 12V outlet in my case) on a fused circuit so if something goes wrong you don't damage the wiring on your bike or drain your battery. Here is the link I used as a guide, I found my fuse block at Autozone for $9.00. http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=17395&referrerid=33639

Here is a picture of mine.. extremely easy to do!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts