Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this on my Shadow. Used the same method on my VTX.

The tach is made by Equus (PN 6086). I bought it at the local auto parts store (O'Reilly) for $30. The mount is a standard 1" handlebar riser. I got a pair off E-bay for $17.

Fabricate a "Y" using 16 gauge stranded wire, male and female blade type spade lugs, solder the wires and shrink wrap.

Now back to the tach. On Equus' web site it shows the 6086 capable of 1 to 12 cylinders. However, for some reason the first 6086 had s slide switch for 4-6-8 cylinders. Make sure you get the one that has a "Red" button on the back side. You'll be more sure it's the right tach by its mount. The mount you want has a shallow radius from front to back (the slide switch type has larger radius from side to side.). Drill and tap two 10x32 in-line with the holes on the tach's mount on the shaft of the riser. Be meticulous on the positioning of the tapped holes. The more square and perpendicular the holes are the better in appearance the tach will mount.

The instructions for the tach are clear: red to switched +12v, white to lights, black to ground and green to the "-" side of the coil. I hooked the red and white together and attached it the white wire on the head light plug. The tach's black wire was connected to the green wire on the head light, all inside the head light bucket.

Also running through the bucket is the tach's green wire. From there it's re-routed out and under the left side neck cover in plastic conduit.

Now connect the tach's green wire to one leg of the "Y". The second leg of the "Y" is connected to the bikes Bl/W at the coil. The third leg of the "Y" is connected to the coil where the Bl/W wire was.

Arrange the "Y", conduit and the tach's green wire with zip ties so that the bundle is secure and out of the way.

Program the tach for 2 (two) cylinders.

The tach isn't water-proof. I would go further to say it's not even water resistant. Put a plastic bag over it when washing.

·
WildBikers.com Owner
2,340 Posts
EXCELLENT - I May do this but as one member said above - Its not waterproof?? or what is your experience with it in the rain? It appears you have a windshield mount for your ride which would protect it better than out in the open.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
that's a good and cheap mod
but not for me
in the last two years and 25k miles i never hit the limiter and ride 5th gear with 40 m/h - but also with 100m/h

ride safe
harry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weather proof

EXCELLENT - I May do this but as one member said above - Its not waterproof?? or what is your experience with it in the rain? It appears you have a windshield mount for your ride which would protect it better than out in the open.
The tach isn't water proof. I never ride in the rain. But if I did, or when I wash the bike, I wrap it in plastic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Umpire#3 I went out to Equus web page and the model 6068 was $118 not $30

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Umpire#3 I went out to Equus web page and the model 6068 was $118 not $30

Hi Egrave,
I guess I was lucky when I bought mine at O'Reilly's for $30. However, check out the other tach's they have (http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Gauge+-+Tachometers/N0531/C0134.oap?year=2007&make=Toyota&model=Corolla&vi=1434445&keyword=gauge+-+tachometers) like 6086 (for $30). I think any will work so long as they have that button on the back side and can work on 1 to 15 cylinders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts