Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day,

I recently did some electrical trouble shooting...was chasing phantoms with regards to the charging system, stand switch and battery itself. Anyhow, in the process, it was determined all was well, just needed a new battery despite the ominous indications of something else being wrong.

Long story short, in my adventures, with a bad battery the needle on my aftermarket Tach was spinning like mad and has spun all the way around to end up on the wrong side of the small resting pin it usually sits on. Therefore, the needle can't make any indications until I get it swung back around. I am a bit concerned with damaging the needle as it no doubt want to spin....but I am sure there is an easy fix for this.....anyone able to help?

Thanks and ride safe!

It is a Baron mini tach that is mounted on the bars. Not sure of the model.
:choppersm:mosh::choppersm

·
Biker Doc (to be)
94 Posts
Your best bet would be to take the cover off of the speedo and then remove the needle. If it's anything like the stock speedo, you'll be able to do that by sliding a fork under it with the pin that the needle is on between the tongs of the fork. Just work it a little bit, and it should pop right off. If you had to detach the speedo to get this far, hook it back up to the bike electrically. Turn the bike on so that the needle pin will set to zero. Then you should reattach the needle with the needle just below the stopper pin. Gently slide the needle over the stopper pin, and your speedo should read accurately at that point.

Hopefully that helps. That was the procedure I used when I changed out the LED backlights on my speedo. My speedo is on the money...other than the 10% error that Honda built into it.

·
SR. Member of Much Bling.
787 Posts
Dude, you must have been going FAST!!!! Is your bike Orange or what?

That said...sorry, I don't have anything constructive to say but couldn't help myself.

·
Banned
1,206 Posts
Ummmm....He's trying to fix the needle on his aftermarket Tachometer, not the speedometer.....:banghead:
Hijack!

Bass, Did you ever get that old tach working for your caddy?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What I have done so far...

So it is a Baron 3" bullet tach mounted on the bars. I have the manual in pdf. but it does not account for this problem and no worb back from tech assistance at Baron.

So, I removed the tach assembly from the housing but it seems to be a sealed unit? I can't actually remove the glass face or pull the assembly out of the casing to adjust the needle. The damn light is gone too...which sucks cos if it is an LED (I can't remember if it is red to match the speedo or just a normal white light) then it is screwed as the LED tachs are designed not to be replaced...they will "never" burn out. HA HA.

Hopefully the light and needle are all related....but...any more thoughts? I can't physically get at the needle and the light is now out....anyone have the same tach?

Thanks to all posters.
:banghead:

And yes the bike is orange...and fast...how did you know....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts