Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aight so I screwed up. I decided I was gonna bob my vtx 1300
I cut the back fender with a grinder (this is my first bike, my learner bike), unaware that the wires to the tail light were inside of a chanel in the back fender. So when I cut the fender, I cut all the wires to tail light. I got a flexible LED light that has an adhesive to stick to the fender with green, red, black, white, and yellow wires. I cut off all the messed up wires and stripped them and got ready to wire this thing up and be done with it, but with the bike running, I've touched every wire from the new light to the tail light wires that attach to the wiring harness and no lights came on. I grabbed every wire from the harness and grounded myself as well to see if I got shocked and I didn't get shocked. So in my head, I'm thinking I'm not getting power.
Can anyone give me an idea of how badly I may have screwed this thing up and how to fix it? I don't know where to look past the wiring harness. There's no disconnect on the wiring harness, it's hard wired.

·
Super Moderator
11,552 Posts
As IndyX indicates, first check your fuses. Then download the 1300 service manual from here on this forum. In the back of this manual is a wiring diagram. It will show you the wire colors for the rear (and all other wires). You can then properly identify/test/use/attach the ground(s), tail light, brake light, and turn signal wires.

·
From ID, GO VANDALS!
2005 VTX 1800N Spec 1
470 Posts
Typically there are disconnects for the tail light / rear turn signals at the front of the fender, under the seat or behind a side cover. The wire harness that is in the fender plugs in to a large boot that will have individual plugs in it. Usually the connections are round and are the bullet style connectors. It may be easier to run the wires from your new light through that channel and out to that connection point rather than have all of those splices right at the new light to keep moisture and road grime out of them.

Ride Safe!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts