Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how the emblem on the side of the tank is attached? I'm wondering whether the tank surface beneath it is flat/smooth, or are there holes or something for attaching the emblem?

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's only held on by "glue" or some other type of adhesive. Just heat it up a little with a hair dryer and use dental floss to remove it. Haven't done it myself but have read thats how to do it... Hope this helps!

·
FREEBIRD
7,598 Posts
Just tape, man. VERY sticky tape. There are a million posts on this, WD40, GooGone, hair dryer. More importantly, take your time, rub softly. Good luck.
We all end up doing it. Not entirely sure why, maybe it's a "not wanting to be a billboard for Honda" thing. Maybe some wish they had a Harl.......... Blej;qfkhsf............Whoa, sorry dude, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit there. Phew! I'm OK, I'll be fine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just tape, man. VERY sticky tape. There are a million posts on this, WD40, GooGone, hair dryer. More importantly, take your time, rub softly. Good luck.
We all end up doing it. Not entirely sure why, maybe it's a "not wanting to be a billboard for Honda" thing. Maybe some wish they had a Harl.......... Blej;qfkhsf............Whoa, sorry dude, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit there. Phew! I'm OK, I'll be fine.
:cheers: Have a drink and you'll be fine.

I was just considering adding some neat graphics for a little customising. It's not an identity crisis. :)

Something like:
http://www.purplemoon.com/Stickers/images/skull-dragons.jpg or
http://www.purplemoon.com/Stickers/images/skll-firedrg.jpg

Thought I might see if this guy can make the custom graphic from an image: http://home.comcast.net/~tpbiker1/index.html

Thanks everyone.

·
FREEBIRD
7,598 Posts
I was just considering adding some neat graphics for a little customising. It's not an identity crisis.
Preaching to the choir! We all want to give our rides that little somethin' that puts our stamp on it. I have two guys living in my subdivision that ride HD's. Good guys, but I can count on one hand how many times they rode this summer! I feel sorry for those hard working lawyer............Blkxvj,tjmd......... Whoa, sorry again, I think I might just go to bed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Preaching to the choir! We all want to give our rides that little somethin' that puts our stamp on it. I have two guys living in my subdivision that ride HD's. Good guys, but I can count on one hand how many times they rode this summer! I feel sorry for those hard working lawyer............Blkxvj,tjmd......... Whoa, sorry again, I think I might just go to bed.
Yeah. When I was looking to buy a bike, this past Sept/Oct, I ran across dozens of Harleys that were several years old, but very little mileage. I always thought, "WTFO? Why did they ever buy the bike?". I picked mine up new (zero miles), near the end of Oct., and it's already got 2,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
All that holds them on is double sided tape. Like what has been said, use dental floss (not like you use it for anything else) and use it like a saw and cut behind it.
I don't mind the tank emblem but I took off the Honda on the side covers. I did the floss / GooGone and had no problem.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Emblem removal

I just dripped some Kroil behind the badges and let them soak overnight. The tank badges came off pretty easy. They looked like they were affixed with a black silicone-like adhesive. The small Honda badges on the side covers were put on with a thick double faced foam tape. After the badges came off, I soaked the side cover tapes and the tank goop again and then used a soft plastic scraper to gently remove what was left. It turned out nice.

I just got my new tank graphics yesterday and hope to get the tank done tomorrow afternoon. I'll post some photos when done.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I tried this two ways (one each side).

WD-40 was first up.
Took about 30 minutes, came out nice.

Hair Dryer was next.
Took about 5 minutes and looked just as good.

Use a hair dryer.

-Gonz

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tried this two ways (one each side).

WD-40 was first up.
Took about 30 minutes, came out nice.

Hair Dryer was next.
Took about 5 minutes and looked just as good.

Use a hair dryer.

-Gonz
I looked over your photo album and saw your graphics. About your tank graphic--is it a sticker, or other type? And how are your graphics holding up to weather and wash jobs?

I've been wondering how well they'll adhere, and whether some types need to be over sprayed with clear coat.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I looked over your photo album and saw your graphics. About your tank graphic--is it a sticker, or other type? And how are your graphics holding up to weather and wash jobs?

I've been wondering how well they'll adhere, and whether some types need to be over sprayed with clear coat.

It was a custom job by Cyclegrafix.com. Its not a "Sticker" per se... I mean, it is stuck on... But its that Breatheable Material that is used to... ahh whats the name of it... you put it on vehicles/busses/etc... stretchable...

Its sticking very well, and was made for outdoors/cars/busses... etc...

Damned if I cant think of the name of the crap at this moment.

-Gonz

Edit: Thought of it.. Its made out of the Vynil Wrap material that busses and cars are wrapped in typically for advertising... trucks they make the Camo Wrap for... its made out of that stuff

-Gonz

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was a custom job by Cyclegrafix.com. Its not a "Sticker" per se... I mean, it is stuck on... But its that Breatheable Material that is used to... ahh whats the name of it... you put it on vehicles/busses/etc... stretchable...

Its sticking very well, and was made for outdoors/cars/busses... etc...

Damned if I cant think of the name of the crap at this moment.

-Gonz

Edit: Thought of it.. Its made out of the Vynil Wrap material that busses and cars are wrapped in typically for advertising... trucks they make the Camo Wrap for... its made out of that stuff

-Gonz
Thanks for the link. Nice resource.

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you have any trouble with the tape coming off,try some gasoline. I got most of it off pretty easy, but some of the tape wanted to be stubborn . Guy at work suggested gas, worked really well.:patriot:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Warmed filet knife.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tank emblem

I have a 2006 VTX1300r, I removed the tank emblems by heating with a hair dryer and prying them off. be careful not to scratch or chip the paint, I used asmall screw driver to get it started and then pulled it off this put a small scratch on the tank. but I was a little careless. I should have used fingers only.. Its put on with double sided tape.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a 2006 VTX1300r, I removed the tank emblems by heating with a hair dryer and prying them off. be careful not to scratch or chip the paint, I used asmall screw driver to get it started and then pulled it off this put a small scratch on the tank. but I was a little careless. I should have used fingers only.. Its put on with double sided tape.
Mono filament fishing line might work well, or weed eater line.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
For the remaining gunk, I simply heated it up as well and just rubbed it off with my fingers kind of.. Rolling it up from one end to the other.. a little warm on the fingers, but it worked really well. cleaned with pledge, done.

-Gonz

·
Registered
223 Posts
I read this post and looked everywhere for the "Like Button". Damn facebook has me brain washed!

Jeremy:choppersm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts