Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

2004 VTX bought 2 months ago with 751miles on her. Looked at pretty much everything but the inside of the tank before I plopped down my money. She's rusted fairly good. I had noticed this after I had some sputtering issues earlier. I'm fairly certain that the rust is responsible for the missing sputtering issues. Anyway I'm planning on stripping and sealing my tank sometime soon but here's the rub. I'm not at home with my garage full of tools. About the only tools I have are the factory tool kit under my side cover and a bike stand that I trailered the bike over here with. Can I get the tank off and do the job with these tools only? Really I just need to be able to get the tank off and then I can wing it with the fuel lines and carb cleaning stuff. That's just screwdrivers and pliers I think. Anyway, if someone see's a red flag I'm missing, holler!

Thanks Much!

P.S. It sucks a lot to be stuck on the side of a Louisiana highway at midnight. Makes me wish I had bought a Harley, then at least I would have a legitimate excuse to be caught on the side of the road in the middle of the night...

Sorry, couldn't help it. Thought of that while I was waiting for the AAA towtruck.

Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
A couple of wrenches, screwdrivers pliars and some good instruction should do it. You probably need to drain the tank and get rid of the water and crap in it, clean the carb and jets good and put it back together and set your a/f properly. May be worth doing the "SCAR" (do a search) mod while you are at it, It is easy to accomplish and makes the bikes much more tempermental.

Should be fine., there is good info on here for pulling the tank and cleaning the carb and jets, will need to use the search tool and do some reading. Not knowing what has been done to your bike means you have a bit of a guessing game (stock jets), but chances are it has just laquered up and is clogging with crap...Good Luck.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of wrenches, screwdrivers pliars and some good instruction should do it. You proabably need to drain the tank and get rid of the water and crap in it, clean the carb and jets good and put it back together and set your a/f properly. May be worth doing the "SCAR" (do a search) mod while you are at it, It is easy to accomplish and makes the bikes much more tempermental.

Should be fine., there is good info on here for pulling the tank and cleaning the carb and jets, will need to use the search tool and do some reading. Not knowing what has been done to your bike means you have a bit of a guessing game (stock jets), but chances are it has just laquered up and is clogging with crap...Good Luck.

Hey,

The bike is absolutely stock except for me doing the Clayton mod. Considered doing the pair valve but then I'm tempted to drop pipes, jets, and intake mods. I rebuilt and took apart my Shadow multiple times so it's pretty easy. Thanks!

-Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts