Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know for sure where tar snakes come from? I originally thought they resulted from road crew's attempts at sealing minor cracks in the pavement. But upon closer inspection, they typically don't seem to have anything to do with repairs; they're just random dribbling of tar all over the road surface...like a toddler might do with crayons on a wall!

Anybody know the true origin of tar snakes? They sure are hazardous to bikers!

CW

·
Registered
446 Posts
It is a feeble attempt to seal cracks in the pavement but sometimes I think the road crews just pour the stuff out to make it look like they were working. There is one intersection near where I live that is so bad that I avoid it whenever possible.

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
The North American Tar Snake (Posteriorus Puckerus) originated in the northern climates of the United states and has migrated to all corners of the country.

It's breeding grounds are on warm asphalt surfaces. The Tar Snake can range in size from a mere few millimeters to several kilometers. Like the American Bulldog, they are no longer able to breed with out the help of humans, where government funding usually pays for the species' growth.

The skin of the Tar Snake is soft in warm environments, and is very durable, being able to sustain continuous impacts by motor vehicle tires. The skin, when wet, also can become very smooth and hazardous to linear-wheeled vehicles.

While considered a pest to many motorcyclists, the Tar snake is here to stay, and requires constant monitoring. The bite of the North American Tar Snake is often non-fatal, but may require a change of under garments. The use of appropriate safety apparel will often allow those attacked to escape with nothing more than a red face.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Spyker is the leading authority on tar snakes , as he received a nasty bite from one last summer.
P

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
Spyker is the leading authority on tar snakes , as he received a nasty bite from one last summer.
P
I researched them extensively after that incident! While I was able to walk away, it cost a bit of money and a lot of pride.

·
"Semper Fidelis"
5,081 Posts
The North American Tar Snake (Posteriorus Puckerus) originated in the northern climates of the United states and has migrated to all corners of the country.

It's breeding grounds are on warm asphalt surfaces. The Tar Snake can range in size from a mere few millimeters to several kilometers. Like the American Bulldog, they are no longer able to breed with out the help of humans, where government funding usually pays for the species' growth.

The skin of the Tar Snake is soft in warm environments, and is very durable, being able to sustain continuous impacts by motor vehicle tires. The skin, when wet, also can become very smooth and hazardous to linear-wheeled vehicles.

While considered a pest to many motorcyclists, the Tar snake is here to stay, and requires constant monitoring. The bite of the North American Tar Snake is often non-fatal, but may require a change of under garments. The use of appropriate safety apparel will often allow those attacked to escape with nothing more than a red face.
WITH NO KNOWN CURES RIGHT?:hmm2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts