Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove from Woodward, OK to Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and Knoxville, TN in my CAR unfortunatly but I just wanted to say how beautiful of a drive it was and TN is one awesome place!!! I wanted my motorcycle there so bad. I was amazed at how green everything is, in NW Oklahoma we are about as dry as dry can be.

I know this was pointless but I just had to tell everyone!!:)

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Never pointless............others that have not been here do not know. I'm sure you took many pictures and it would be kind to share. Get on your bike for the next trip and let us know when you are coming this way.......my picture is from the Smoky Mtns....just down the road......

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Born on a Mountain top in Tennessee, The greenest state in the land of the free.. It the beginning of the ballad Of Davey Crockette. Somebody got it right. Again today I am proud of My Big Orange Roots. Wears Valley just outside of Pigeon Forge. Home Sweet Home...:mosh:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I was stationed in Millington for aircraft mechaics school. I went to reciprocating engine, jets and jet helicopter schools while there. When I got my orders before returning from Nam the CO had gotten me orders to Quantic Va, Presidental Helicopters. Normally that would be a honor but after being in Nam for 20 months and 8 days I knew I'd get discharged becaues I couldn't handle all that spit shine and kissing up needed there. I had a talk with the CO and asked for orders to North side to teach the reserves what they'd to know to survive in Nam. I got them and I finish my 6 years active service in Millington and said good bye to the Corps. I wasn't cut out to be a lifer and I knew it.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I was stationed in Millington for aircraft mechaics school. I went to reciprocating engine, jets and jet helicopter schools while there. When I got my orders before returning from Nam the CO had gotten me orders to Quantic Va, Presidental Helicopters. Normally that would be a honor but after being in Nam for 20 months and 8 days I knew I'd get discharged becaues I couldn't handle all that spit shine and kissing up needed there. I had a talk with the CO and asked for orders to North side to teach the reserves what they'd to know to survive in Nam. I got them and I finish my 6 years active service in Millington and said good bye to the Corps. I wasn't cut out to be a lifer and I knew it.

Oh Wow,
not sure what years you were there, but I use to frequent the base commissary service station and the main gate service station on a regular schedule, delivering the three grades of Shell Gasoline.

Between the two locations we delivered two loads of gasoline a day to each station. (8,000 gal per load of Regular, Plus, or Premium grades)

They had three 20 thousand gallon underground storage tanks at the main station, and three 10 thousand gallon tanks at the commissary.
Note: At that year in time (1976) the price at the base was $0.20 less a gallon than the retail Service Stations.

<O:p</O:p
On Fridays all the enlisted military people who were off on leave for the weekend would line up at 14 fuel island pumps to fill up their vehicles.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I actually spent most of my time in Tenn, school in 66-67, then to Tustin Ca for about 6 months until I swapped orders with a married buddy with kids to go to Nam. I wasn't married so I let him finish my tour in Ca. That gave him at least 18 months before he would be sent to Nam. I was in Nam from Feb 68 -Oct 69, then back to Tenn until my time was up. So I spent a lot of tine in Tenn and got to know it pretty good. I lived in Memphis for awhile and then me and a couple fellow Marines rent a house in White Haven. Life was good there while it lasted.

·
Sarge
643 Posts
:patriot:Holy cow...I was at Millington for 2 full years 78-79 in avionics and electronics school...:cheers:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
:patriot:Holy cow...I was at Millington for 2 full years 78-79 in avionics and electronics school...:cheers:
I actually spent most of my time in Tenn, school in 66-67, then to Tustin Ca for about 6 months until I swapped orders with a married buddy with kids to go to Nam. I wasn't married so I let him finish my tour in Ca. That gave him at least 18 months before he would be sent to Nam. I was in Nam from Feb 68 -Oct 69, then back to Tenn until my time was up. So I spent a lot of tine in Tenn and got to know it pretty good. I lived in Memphis for awhile and then me and a couple fellow Marines rent a house in White Haven. Life was good there while it lasted.
I’ll just bet both of you remember these places in Memphis:

Beretta’s Drive-In BBQ (one of the first fifties style drive-ins with car hops / it closed in the 80’s)<O:p</O:p
Leonard's is a Restaurant that was at it's prime in the 50's another drive-in.<O:p</O:p
Leonard's Pit BBQ Memphis, TN ( still open and I believe it is being ran by the grandchildren, or their grandchildren.)<O:p</O:p
TOPS BAR-B-Q Memphis TN<O:p</O:p
Gridley’s Fine Bar-B-Q<O:p</O:p
Corkey's Ribs & BBQ Memphis, TN<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p

I was born and raised there, transferred to Mobile in 1979. About the only thing I miss from there is the BBQ.<O:p</O:p
I could eat 2 Jumbo chopped BBQ sandwiches right now from Tops BBQ. Love their sauce and the special slaw they made and put on the sandwichs.<O:p</O:p

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I also make many drives when I get to thinking how much better it would be riding! :choppersm

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
They have some pretty awesome roads around there. I go to Wears Valley every year with some friends and I always volunteer to drive solely because of the roads. I'm still trying to convince my girlfriend to allow us to ride the X up there. I don't know if it's 6 hour trip up, one way, or the snow we always have when we go, but she always says no.

Oh and I think this thread is in the wrong forum...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts