Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two weeks ago today my right hand and a lawn mower got into a fight, I lost. After a few surgeries, today the cast came off and I was fitted with two different kind of hand braces. Tomorrow I am going to try to ride the X. I have use of one finger and the thumb, so it may be a waste of time, but I didn't sit around all winter waiting for summer to sit on the couch and make bike payments.

Wish me luck!

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Good luck. I forget, is it your throttle hand?

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Geez Louise Z!!!! What'd you do man? Shut that thing off before you play up under the deck! :( Sorry you got mangled Dude. I'm sure it was just a freak accident. Hope you heal well. Be very confident in your abilities before you try to ride Bud. I'd hate to have to read how you dropped your bike and screwed up your hand all the more.

I will pray for your healing.

Ray

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good luck. I forget, is it your throttle hand?
Yep, you know it always has to be the dominate hand that gets injured. I am a total idiot using just my left hand, even the simplest things are a headache.

Geez Louise Z!!!! What'd you do man? Shut that thing off before you play up under the deck! :( Sorry you got mangled Dude. I'm sure it was just a freak accident. Hope you heal well. Be very confident in your abilities before you try to ride Bud. I'd hate to have to read how you dropped your bike and screwed up your hand all the more.

I will pray for your healing.

Ray
Here's the thread explaining my stupidity. They painted a bad picture, but either I am a quick healer, or they were wrong in their evaluation. I do have a long recovery ahead of me, and full use of my hand will never be normal, but I am hopeful.

Yes, I will be VERY careful. The bones were compound fractures right at the knuckles, so that will take a long time to heal. The severed tendons need a lot of therapy once the bones heal.

When my Daddy told me about spinning steel blades, he wasn't kidding! :D

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Please don't rush into this, you could do more damage to the hand. It's got to have a chance to heal and fractures need more than 2 weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Getting ready to undergo shoulder surger myself on Wednesday and have resigned myself to a summer of not riding at least until September or later. Be careful like was said, rushing back into it is not worth more injury and messing up your bike too; plenty of time to ride when all is well. Wishing you fast healing.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Please don't rush into this, you could do more damage to the hand. It's got to have a chance to heal and fractures need more than 2 weeks.

Bear is right, it's not worth the damage that you could do, even if you feel the need to ride that badly. Better to heal up some more and fully enjoy it than cause a major setback that may cost you months off the bike.

·
Registered
475 Posts
To rush back into the ride, might just add more problems. Then the ones, that you face now. There's a good chance to drop the bike. And hurt yourself more. Not to mention what you might do to the bike. Your hand healing to a 100% is worth more than any joy ride. Just a thought IMHO

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,234 Posts
I don't get it Zomby. First you stick your hand in a lawnmower and now you want to operate a 700lb motorcycle with one finger and a thumb, two weeks after surgery. Just cut the damn hand off and put a hook on it and get it over with.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey Zomby I missed your first post about your hand. I really pray that you take your time getting back on the bike so soon after the surgery. Sticking that sore biscuit grabber out there if the bike goes over isn't going to be pretty. Good luck with your first ride.:cheers:

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, I hear what you are saying, but my urge is uncontrollable right now. I've been on a bike for 44 years, it is just as much a part of my life as breathing is. Weather has never stopped me. Other surgeries have never stopped me. Riding a bike is just what I do.

But.....

If I go out afterwhile and feel like I can't ride safely, I will turn around, park it and sulk.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Sorry about your hand.You give any thought to a trike,or one of those CanAms?Like others have said be patient ,it will take time .

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Guys, I hear what you are saying, but my urge is uncontrollable right now. I've been on a bike for 44 years, it is just as much a part of my life as breathing is. Weather has never stopped me. Other surgeries have never stopped me. Riding a bike is just what I do.

But.....

If I go out afterwhile and feel like I can't ride safely, I will turn around, park it and sulk.
You sound like me.
I had surgery on my arm and hands and at the time I was heavy into golf.
I asked the Doc when I could swing the clubs again, he knew full well I was going to be in pain if I did so he said go for it as soon as I take the stitches out.
That afternoon my golf game improved greatly as I couldn't over swing the club due to the pain but I did play 36 holes of golf.

I say go for the ride if you want to but remember in a panic stop you are going to hurt like you never have before.

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it is 1:30 and all I have done is move the bike to the end of the garage. I'm a little more apprehensive than I though I'd be.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Apprehension is your brain telling you that it's not time yet. It's also telling you that the better you let it heal, the longer you will be able to ride with no problem. I can imagine myself being the same way brother. I would be glad I had all of you to back me up and care enough to tell me to wait. Hey, maybe try some simple mods or just cleaning it and starting it up to ease some of it, if you think it will help. After all, it's the journey, not the destination, and cleaning and modding is all part of the journey. We're here with ya.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
We all feel your pain. If you are one of those that does ride regardless of the weather/temp, then you can ride beyond the "usual season". By no means am I saying ride in ice/snow but if making sure the hands heals properly requires extending the riding season, go that route. Bikes can be repaired but damaging it because of not letting the hand heal properly will hurt more than a wreck caused by a cager plus any damage to the hand could become permanent (permanently worse than any currently permanent damage if that makes sense).
Regardless of what you do, be safe.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
thats a smart move, zomby. vtx's are big bikes, and i cant imagine riding mine using only two fingers on my throttle or my clutch hand. Be cool a while longer, you will PROBABLY know when you can risk it. Good luck too. Bry

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had a great ride!

My neighbor is an occupational therapist and when he seen me out looking at my bike he came over to see how I was doing. I told him I wanted to ride so bad but was a bit worried about my brace set up. He looked at it and invited me over to his house to see what he could come up with. He fashioned this brace that is absolutely amazing. I had full control of the throttle and the brake lever
. I had no problems and in fact my right hand never got fatigued like it normally does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts