Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been without a motorcycle for a while now looking to get back in. Thinking 1300 VTX so I tested one today. 2008, retro w only 9000 mikes. Everything looked good, started up easily cold. Only thing I noticed it seemed to have a lot of vibration the faster I went. Not a wobble just vibration. Got it up to about 75, so probably really only 65. Is this typical or should I suspect some problem?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
its a V-Twin. a harley copy. go test ride a Harley.
the big difference.. a Honda V-Twin loves to spin.. keep the rpm's UP..
lugging a Honda V-Twin will damage the engine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check the date code on the tires, if more than five years old they could be your vibration problem. With only 9,000 miles those could be the original 2008 tires!!!
True, the tires look good but I looked all over them and couldn't find the date code. the owner bought it just one year ago from a local Honda dealer, I'm hoping they replaced the tires there. They usually do on their used bikes. thanks for the reply.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
On the sidewall there will be the letters DOT followed by four numbers inside a slightly recessed oval cast into the sidewall. The first two numbers represent the week of the year 01 thru 52, and the second two numbers represent the year of manufacture. Every tire sold in the US must have the date code on it!

·
Registered
265 Posts
True, the tires look good but I looked all over them and couldn't find the date code. the owner bought it just one year ago from a local Honda dealer, I'm hoping they replaced the tires there. They usually do on their used bikes. thanks for the reply.
A dealer would only replace the tires if they absolutely needed it. It only represents cost they have to try and recover during the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,267 Posts
Yeah what they said above, wind out the gears you won't hurt it! Has rev limiter but you'll never get near that under normal riding. Riding up to interstate speed in second gear is common for many of us then just click to 5th.

·
Registered
478 Posts
i wonder does it have the handlebars changed?

i noticed my 1300 had big vibration dampers in the bars my 1800 doesn't have. i took them out 'cause they were in the way of running wires through the bars, but i've only rode it once around the block and it wasn't what i was focused on at that moment. i've been thinking on what i can do if it turns out to be a problem.

anyway, as much thinking out loud as answering your question.

·
Super Moderator
9,743 Posts
Those dampers certainly help. When I ran the wires internal in the bars of my wife's 1300, I shortened the vibration dampers so they would not interfere with the routing of the internal wires but still kept the shortened ones in the bars.

·
Registered
3 Posts
there's an app called tire facts where you enter the info on the tire and it will give you the manufactured date of the tire. Hope this helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts