Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to say a big "Thank you" to all the guys on here who have helped me with the VTX. As I have said many times before, I didn't own a wrench before I bought the VTX, and much less the confidence to tackle anything mechanical with it.:cheers:

Now, because of what I have learned here, I am spending the day doing some maintenance on our 2003 Honda CRV and I'm giving it to my dad for Father's Day. It's all pretty basic stuff; fluids and filters, brake pads, transmission flush etc but I will be doing a valve adjustment.

I have found the CRV owners forum:coffee:, but it's the poor cousin to the VTX Cafe! It did provide me a link to a really good shop service manual though - and for the first time in my life, as I read it I had a basic understanding of what it was talking about - foot/pounds of torque, feeler gauges, and gaskets etc ... words that used to inspire fear and might as well have been Chinese writing, now seem strangely familiar. But the CRV Owners Forum doesn't have anything like the support from it's members that we have.

Anyway, like I said, I just wanted to say thanks to the Cafe members - too numerous to mention, but many are the "usual suspects" :icon_susp: and we know who they are. Thanks from me, and I would guess a few others like me who never had the courage to pick up a wrench.

Have a great weekend and ride safe! :choppersm

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
+1...Well said, and what a great gesture to give YOUR Dad the car...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
wow, what a switch, a son that gives to the father instead of the other way around. Your dad must appreciate you a whole lot. Thank God there is a Father's Day! :patriot: Bry

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
It's great to hear about you feeling up to doing your own work. Even better to here what your doing with the CVR when it's done. Karen had one and she loved it. I wish you and your father a Happy Fathers Day.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say; the valves on the car, there might be more of them, but no problem getting the gauges in. It all went really smooth, got the whole thing done with some very basic tools. It's actually pretty easy to work on, followed the advice from here and took my time.

I went to the local Honda dealer for the automatic transmission fluid and he gave me the "shop" discount because I bought a case to do the flush - he wasn't far off the Ebay price! And, a stroke of luck, the oil filter wrench for the bike just fits the car!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts