• Never -- screw the other riders

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I came across this tonight when reading my email. Many of you probably know that Gmail puts interesting links on the side of your inbox, relevant to you, and this was one for me tonight -- a funny article about "the wave" >> LINK

#4 makes me laugh, and #5 makes me laugh really hard, because I've seen it several times lately (with gas prices so high, and lots more scooters and/or new bikers on the roads). I have to say though, that the form I see most often is not discussed here. I'm a low (spread/peace) 2-finger guy myself, but what I see most often is a low (joined) couple of fingers. Of course, many of the comments that follow the article are great too.

Anyway... This made me think of a poll... When do you (personally) acknowledge another rider? I think I give a lot more than I get, but I don't really care about that. I do it when it "feels right". It seems that on a divided (with a wall/barrier, but you can still mostly see the oncoming traffic) highway it's usually not done (probably because riders are thinking more about safety and holding on at high speeds), but anywhere else it is. Do you always acknowledge them? Only when they're on your class of bike (no scooters or crotch rockets)? Only when they're not wearing a full face helmet (which I wear)? Do you do it as you overtake another rider who is going slower than you?

Right or wrong, I find myself usually not throwing the sign to crotch rockets and never to scooters. We all enjoy the feeling that riding gives us, and there is comradery in that, as well as the common cager enemy, but I just have a negative impression of crotch rocket riders. Sure, I'd like to have a crotch rocket as a second bike if I had the space and money, but I see most crotch rocket riders as dangerous/reckless punks. I know this is a bad generalization, because lots of them aren't.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the funny little article, and decide to participate in the poll.

See you on the road,

Jay

·
Trying to fit in...
1,835 Posts
Personally I wave at everyone on 2 wheels. I really dont care if they wave back or not...I find they usually do.

I do realize a lot of the crotch rocket riders are young guys but I have never been disrespected by any of them. I feel that if I give them the same respect as any other rider out there, hopefully they will learn to respect me and all others that ride. Most of the time our youth needs nothing more than to be recognized and made to feel like they matter. Thats more than a lot of them get at home any more.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
You sound like a very nice man, doc (irrespective of what everyone says about you!).

Just kidding about the parenthetical comment, but serious about the first one!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I got to the point that I won't 'wave'...for the most part...in town.
Usually, I'm just going to work, so the 'Cool Biker Wave' isn't really appropriate...or so my thinking goes.

HOWEVER...on the road, whether it be the back roads, or the interstate, either myself or Sweety, and a lot of times BOTH will wave.

One thing I've noticed...at 75+ MPH the 'wave' is a lot lower in than at slower, cruising speeds.

Bubba

·
Trying to fit in...
1,835 Posts
You sound like a very nice man, doc (irrespective of what everyone says about you!).

Just kidding about the parenthetical comment, but serious about the first one!
Thanks jagarcia. I think we see eye to eye on a lot of things around here...

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I try to wave to all motorcycles...including scooters....I just feel that we are going to see more and more of them and after all, they are sharing the same perils as us anyway. I don't want to segregate them just because they didn't spend X amount of dollars on thier ride....I kind of equate that to the Harley guys that don't wave to me cause I didn't spent 19,000 on my ride. I even sometimes feel guilty if I don't return a wave cause i'm in the middle of a shift or turn or whatever. Where did the whole wave thing start? and why?

Joe

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did the whole wave thing start? and why?
The article sorta says it started w/ biker gangs -- a member riding by another member and saying hey... And then riding by a rival and showing that he was purposely not saying hey, out of disrespect. I guess this seems like a reasonable explanation (for its origins) to me. I was curious too, and did a few quick searches, but haven't been able to find much else about it as of yet. I know that I was told to do it in my MSF course, the reason being comradery -- "we're all pushin' the same wind", was how the instructor phrased it. Kinda cheesy sounding, but it gets the general point across.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I wave to every motorcycle, regardless of style of bike...Scooters sometimes...It depends on the situation....The other day, we were in town and there was this REALLY big lady on a scooter with a kid (about 12-13) on the back going the opposite direction....The poor scooter was definately overloaded!!...She never even looked our way, so she wouldn't have seen it if I did wave....If I'm too busy shifting/turning/whatever to wave, I give a head nod their direction...

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i'll wave at all of them. scooter, mc, and some of the damn bicycles around here are doing mc waves, so i'll wave at them too. like bass, if i'm changing gears or turn i'll nod

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Anyone lucky enough to know the pleasure of 2 wheels driven by a motor between one's legs gets a wave in my book. But as other's have said, during a shift or turn, a smile and a nod works, too.

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Used to be in the "good old days" (at least that is how it was told to me by my great grandfather) :D the fist was raised when passing another biker as a sign of rebellion (i guess) as most riders were thought of as those bucking against the norm.
right on right on:icon_peac

Pdave:patriot:

·
aka The Rev
1,854 Posts
I wave at any one on two powered wheels wether they wave back or not. I was just taught to "have a friend, you must show yourself friendly".

·
Registered
274 Posts
I am a waver. I wave at everyone. Ok, Well not everyone. I usually will not initiate a wave with a small scooter as they are not required to be registered or licensed in NC, but I will wave back if they wave at me. My wife made fun of me once for waving at a guy on a scooter. I see it this way...a guy willing to ride a 250cc scooter on the highway has more b**** than I do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Started Out on a Scooter

I actually "cut my teeth" on a 1986 Honda Helix (250cc scooter), so I know what it's like to be scooter trash. I waved to everyone and everything on two wheels when I had that thing. I was just so happy to feel that feeling of freedom...feeling the wind on your face, feeling like you're on an amusement park ride at all times...you know, the "magic" of riding. Since then, I've been through a '95 Nighthawk 750, an '06 Shadow Aero and now my X. But this middle aged man on the X is still the young snot on the Helix, at heart. I have a special place in my gut for anyone getting on two wheels and getting out into the mix. You have 2 wheels and an engine? I'm wavin'. :patriot:

·
Solo Rider
146 Posts
Another wave poll ?

I used to wave at everyone. I found that lots of riders didn't return the wave. I took it personal. Then after reading lots of posts on other forums, I got the impression that folks that have been riding a long time are just tired of waving. There are many more riders out here now than there used to be. So many to wave at.
I'll return the wave if I get one. I don't often wave first anymore.

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I found that lots of riders didn't return the wave. I took it personal. Then after reading lots of posts on other forums, I got the impression that folks that have been riding a long time are just tired of waving. There are many more riders out here now than there used to be. So many to wave at.
This is a good point -- I bet it's at least partially right. Depending on where you are, it can be a real pain in the butt to wave at every single bike. At some point you want to ride. :) Most times though, I don't see more than a couple at a time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in Missouri, a helmet-requiring state, and so I wave at anything that is on 2 wheels wearing a helmet. Most of the 50cc scooters I see riding around here I don't wave at. Sport bikes often don't wave back, but I initiate regardless.

It was fun, when I got my first bike (600 shadow), I also drove a '95 Jeep Wrangler, and Jeeps are also notorious for their waves. Sometimes, I was so used to waving when I passed either a jeep or a bike, I'd accidentally wave at a bike while driving or at a jeep while riding.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts