Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a cheap fairing from e- bay and want to post some picks in case anyone else was looking at getting one. Now keep in mind I only paid like $120 for this fairing. I uploaded the pics to a album but can't seem to get them posted here, so take a look at my album.

Out of the box it is very obvious that there is going to need to be a lot of surface prep to get it ready to paint, it is not smoothly finished at all and will need filling and leveling. The fit and finish of the two halfs is not great and there is a small chip on the very nose of the unit. It is a very thin lay up of fiberglass, and there is no reinforceing in it at all not even at the mounting points. I dissasembled it and started to install it on the bike, I would have taken more pics if I knew it was going to be so difficult, so all the pics are of the fairing on the bike, I'm not takeing it off till I have to. I was mounting it on a 1300, so I had to make some quick PVC spacers to get the clamps around, and yes it dose want to crack the fiberglass as you tighten down the camps. I plan on makeing a better spacer when I pull it off to paint. Actually mounting it to the bike wasen't hard, but getting the two halfs back together is a nightmare, it took a good bit of fighting to get the screws back in and have everything line up. If you look at the head on shot you can see the cut around the top of the windsheild mount is wrong and will need to be fixed. Once on the bike it is a pretty good fit and the stereo placement seems to line up nicely as well.

All in all this is going to take some work, the over all shape is good but the finish is poor. I am going to go back and lay in some steel supports around the mounting points and add some more fiberglass to that area. Fiber glass is cheap and easy to work with, I will add picks as I reinforce the fairing with more fiberglass. I think if you are handy and a little creative this isn't a bad deal, it will just take a little time and that I have.

In the end most of the finish dosen't really matter to me, it all looks good when blow by you on the road anyway. Hope this helps someone out there and everyone have a great holiday. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yea, thats why I dont like fork mounted fairings. I dont care who makes them, they just seem very unfinished and a half assed product.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I think it all depends on which buyer you get them from (or I just got lucky) I got a $200 fiberglass fork mounted style with the 6x9's from Ebay and I have to say its a very nice unit that is very well built & sturdy.
Mine mounted right up with no issues and only needed some light sanding on the gel coat to prep it for paint.

(By looking at the speaker mounts it looks like mine is a different style than the OP's, I can't remember the sellers name though)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts