Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a coffe table book, The Honda Story, published in 2005. One section is titled performance first and includes background on the VTX with the concept coming from the 1995 Zodia. A very interesting read. A reference to Cycle World in the section suggests that the 1300 is a more agile cruiser than the 1800 and "may be the best cruiser Honda has yet built". I'll reluctantly agree with the agility but something about that quote doesn't sit well with my 1800.

Merry Christmas...

·
Registered
706 Posts
These kinds of opinions are only valid from a particular perspective. Obviously the scribe at Cycle World favors agility over power.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I know what he means. If a person buys a 1300x and has it for any length of time, he probably loves it to death. But, and this is a big but, if that person rides an 1800, say his brother's 1800 for example, he will probably be torn and twisted by wanting the 1800's amazing power. Now what? Does he sell his 1300 and buy the 1800, does he just borrow his brother's 1800 once in a while to get that power rush, or does he keep his 1300, enjoy it, and wish he never rode an 1800??

I am still trying to figure it out. :drunk:

Bry

·
Keep er safe!! Joe
299 Posts
I know what he means. If a person buys a 1300x and has it for any length of time, he probably loves it to death. But, and this is a big but, if that person rides an 1800, say his brother's 1800 for example, he will probably be torn and twisted by wanting the 1800's amazing power. Now what? Does he sell his 1300 and buy the 1800, does he just borrow his brother's 1800 once in a while to get that power rush, or does he keep his 1300, enjoy it, and wish he never rode an 1800??

I am still trying to figure it out. :drunk:

Bry
One hell of a dilemma!:banghead: I traded my Shadow 1100 in on the 1800 and never even took it for a test ride. It was the first I even heard of a VTX!:confused: Just called the Honda dealer and said I'd like to trade for a bigger bike and he told me to look on their website and as soon as I saw my Big Black Beauty VTX1800 I told him I'd be there in 45 minuets! And was.:choppersm

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I envy ya, JRM. That WAS fast work. I have my 1300, a cb750 and if i buy an 1800 i think my wife and two kids left in the house here will leave me. Gee i'll miss them kids :D

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I had a 1300 retro. After a year I wanted a bike to do a project I had in mind. Got a 1800. I have had it for almost 5 years now and really like it but I think I should have kept the 1300 and used it for the project instead. IF I was going to have 1 bike it would be the 1300.
Oh well, live and learn.

dd

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thats interesting point of view DD, any main reasons why you think you shoulda kept the 1300?

1st air cav That brings back memories

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
I have ridden both and still love my 1300 and really like the fact that I can wrench on it really easy, it's not smarter than I am!
At 6'4" and 260 the 1300 has plenty of power to drag me and my gear all around the country.

But as I always say, ride what ya want, just ride!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Marty, i hear ya, and i know what you say is true. I'm only about 215 lbs and the 1300 is strong, but i think the problem is i used to be a beast with bike drag racing, track or street, didnt matter. For about 20 years i lived for dragging. Eventually i settled down, kids, wife, house, dog, the whole disaster. I never had a v twin cruiser, but although i love my 1300 i still miss the speed rush that i get from big brother's 1800. Man, im sooo torn. :hmm2:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Thats interesting point of view DD, any main reasons why you think you shoulda kept the 1300?

1st air cav That brings back memories
I ride it solo almost always
It would have saved me some $$$ to help with the make over
fuel mileage
I like the feel of a 1300
lower seat height and less weight
being a small guy it is easier to handle
sound
easier to do the valves

I do like my 1800. Fast and handle great. I made some adjustments for it to fit me good.

dd
:patriot:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
good points, DD, you listed probably the same reasons why i love my 1300 and havent sold it for an 1800 yet. One other thing i like is that its relatively easy to adjust, tune, or modify the carb thanks to the help i got from cafe members here. Good riding if the temperature gets better!:D
Bry :choppersm

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
At only 5'3, I think the 1300 fits me great. I've sat on 1800's and the did feel a bit top heavy as some people say, but I'd love to have the extra power. I don't need it but that's why we separate the wants from the needs. One day, I'm sure I'll buy an 1800 and if/when I will consider giving my daughter my 1300 which she really wants.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
you wouldnt want to trust any of your females with this "girl", lol. It's true not too many soft tails ride 1800s, but most of them ride 750s, 900s, 1100s, the smaller cruisers. Those that do ride 1300s ride it for the 1300's better all around handling ability. and why not? :cheers:

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts
you wouldnt want to trust any of your females with this "girl", lol. It's true not too many soft tails ride 1800s, but most of them ride 750s, 900s, 1100s, the smaller cruisers. Those that do ride 1300s ride it for the 1300's better all around handling ability. and why not? :cheers:
Just stirring the pot. The thread was starting go dull. I know some women that ride the 1800s.

We enjoy whatever we are riding. I still have a tinder spot in my heart for the Triumph 650 Bonneville that I rode back in the 1960s. That was a quick, maneuverable bike.

Geezer

·
Registered
198 Posts
You guys aren't looking at it right. Just like 'your first bike is just that, your first bike', You're acting like there's some Federal statue that having a 1300 NOW means you'll never EVER have an 1800. Some of you just don't have it _yet_...in the meantime, run what ya brung.:bleh:

I've been on the highway, precisely, once. Did 80 mph and reached for 6th. I was a little disappointed, but heck, I was scared s#itless at being on the highway, so no big deal.

That'll change come warmer weather, but the 50 mph puttering around town sure is fun on the 1300.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I never ridden a 1300 so I wonder sometimes if I should've gone that route. I'm kinda short as well 5'7" and sometimes the 1800 does seem a little top heavy especially when making slow turns. (parking and u-turns and such). I'm having my seat modded in a couple of weeks to lower the seat height so I'm hoping that will help in that regard. Other than that I love the power of the 1800 and it's surprisingly agile despite the weight and height. I'm also considering going with some shorter rear shocks that would lower the bike a little bit more. But that's a project for another time. I've already spent my budget for my winter mods.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have a friend who has them both and he describes it this way. He said " Riding my 1800 is like taking a Lincoln Towncar down the freeway, but riding my 1300 is like a convertable Corvette in the mountains" I would say that is a pretty good description

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
hehe, owning a 1300 you would say that. I think a more realistic comparison would be saying an 1800 is like cruising with my z06 Corvette and the 1300 is like driviing a Mini cooper:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts