2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,856 Posts
Screenshot_20210327-225232.png

Still stuck.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,856 Posts
It's a newer ship. One of the largest in the world.
Not the first ship getting stuck it happens all over the world every few years. Got stuck in the more narrow area of the canal.

I read yesterday they are afraid it will break in half. Front and rear are stuck on land. The middle is under a ton of stress with all that weight pushing down.

No one knows if there are cranes tall enough to try unloading some of the containers. The next idea is heavy lift helicopters. That would be an interesting sight.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
It's a newer ship. One of the largest in the world.
Not the first ship getting stuck it happens all over the world every few years. Got stuck in the more narrow area of the canal.

I read yesterday they are afraid it will break in half. Front and rear are stuck on land. The middle is under a ton of stress with all that weight pushing down.

No one knows if there are cranes tall enough to try unloading some of the containers. The next idea is heavy lift helicopters. That would be an interesting sight.
This....looks like a job for......SUPERMAN! Or Thunderbirds are GO! Not sure which. I need to get out more.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Yay! It's FREE! Now all that stuff from China can get to market. Maybe my shocks will finally show up. I thought they were Made in USA, but who knows.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts
Yay! It's FREE! Now all that stuff from China can get to market. Maybe my shocks will finally show up. I thought they were Made in USA, but who knows.
Made in China. Assembled in the USA.😉

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts
That was quite the ship. Holy cow, it was like a highrise building floating in the ocean. Or NOT floating I guess. Lol

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,856 Posts
That was quite the ship. Holy cow, it was like a highrise building floating in the ocean. Or NOT floating I guess. Lol
Yup, like empire state building on it's side.

There is an even bigger ship built last year. Hopefully they navigate better on that one!

I read today that they were speeding on the canal before they went sideways. Probably some sort of fine charged to company over this especially if they were acting dumb ahead of time.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
Yup, like empire state building on it's side.

There is an even bigger ship built last year. Hopefully they navigate better on that one!

I read today that they were speeding on the canal before they went sideways. Probably some sort of fine charged to company over this especially if they were acting dumb ahead of time.
Speed traps for cargo ships. Speed limit: 3 KPS. Knots per hr. LOL! It was said they were losing $9 B-illion a DAY, just this one ship!

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
This $9B a day is the amount of FREIGHT that is transported through Suez every day. They're just delayed for a few weeks that's all. It will be at least a month or two before everything gets back to normal: all delayed ships arriving at the same time in a harbor, that's not good, there will be a line. Those ships not getting back to China for the next load, depending on your point of view of course, also not good.
But hey, there is this wonderful acronym I remember from working in the world of computers for almost 50 years: SPOF, Single Point Of Failure. The world is very lucky that they were able to get this ship floating again, can you imagine what it would do to world trade if it would have had to be cut in pieces to open up Suez? Scary.
Will countries and companies learn from this? I doubt it.

·
Registered
17,116 Posts
This $9B a day is the amount of FREIGHT that is transported through Suez every day. They're just delayed for a few weeks that's all. It will be at least a month or two before everything gets back to normal: all delayed ships arriving at the same time in a harbor, that's not good, there will be a line. Those ships not getting back to China for the next load, depending on your point of view of course, also not good.
But hey, there is this wonderful acronym I remember from working in the world of computers for almost 50 years: SPOF, Single Point Of Failure. The world is very lucky that they were able to get this ship floating again, can you imagine what it would do to world trade if it would have had to be cut in pieces to open up Suez? Scary.
Will countries and companies learn from this? I doubt it.
My bad. I thought it was just figured on the goods in that one load, being tied up every day.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,856 Posts
Not too late for that plan to use nukes for cutting another canal. Lol.

Common sense realizing irradiating the ground was a bad idea killed that plan.

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,856 Posts
Screenshot_20210320-130458.png

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts
One of my friends just picked up a new toy so he can tear up the back 40 with his kid. I guess there is a silver lining to this Covid thing.(y)

2017 Honda CRF 250

16461 - 16480 of 16487 Posts