Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

16501 - 16520 of 16544 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I interrupt the frivolity for a VTX maintenance question. What do most of you do to elevate the bike for an oil change? In the past I have just placed something like a garden wall brick beneath the kickstand and had just enough room to turn the filter a bit at a time.

Last time I put some pavers beneath the front and rear tire and rode up on them (after a few attempts) for a "bit" more clearance but I don't have those any longer.

No working motorcycle jack and I've seen photos of people nailing boards together to put under the tires, but did they use a lift to put it up on both?

What do you do?

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
781 Posts
I interrupt the frivolity for a VTX maintenance question. What do most of you do to elevate the bike for an oil change? In the past I have just placed something like a garden wall brick beneath the kickstand and had just enough room to turn the filter a bit at a time.

Last time I put some pavers beneath the front and rear tire and rode up on them (after a few attempts) for a "bit" more clearance but I don't have those any longer.

No working motorcycle jack and I've seen photos of people nailing boards together to put under the tires, but did they use a lift to put it up on both?

What do you do?

1500 lb. Aluminum ATV / Motorcycle Lift (harborfreight.com)
SD1K ATV Motorcycle Engine Cradle Dolly | Redline Stands

·
Super Moderator
10,974 Posts
Go buy a Harbor Freight steel motorcycle lift. They are cheap, often on sale, and you can apply another 20% off coupon. Then using ~$20 worth of lumber and screws (used to be $20 worth of lumber - now might cost $5,000 :) ) and following the instructions you can find here on the Cafe, you can build a great stand. Change the oil and filter on the stand and it is quite easy.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,936 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Go buy a Harbor Freight steel motorcycle lift. They are cheap, often on sale, and you can apply another 20% off coupon. Then using ~$20 worth of lumber and screws (used to be $20 worth of lumber - now might cost $5,000 :) ) and following the instructions you can find here on the Cafe, you can build a great stand. Change the oil and filter on the stand and it is quite easy.
I actually have a stand that was fabricated by a former VTX owner. I just do not currently have a lift to get the bike on it. I'll watch for Harbor Freight coupons and grab one then and just continue to lift the kickstand a bit to slide my hand underneath. Thanks!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,259 Posts
I have the lift and a stand and still change oil on the side stand. Find a low profile oil pan, they're like 5 bucks at Ace, or a aluminum turkey pan. Plenty of room from right side of bike and drain plugs and oil filter are on left side of bike.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,936 Posts
Eat More Fruit 2.jpg

·
FREEBIRD
8,055 Posts

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,936 Posts
Once they get into proper position should be less visible. Elon keeps saying they will not be visible at all but every astronomer on the planet calls BS on that.

·
FREEBIRD
8,055 Posts
Yep. He said he painted them black. Lol
Not sure if that was a Rolling Stones reference or what, but I thought it was kinda funny. He's a bit of a cook. I like him. :D

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,936 Posts
Yeah the first ones were not black. The later rounds supposed to be black but still have something visible so they can be tracked? Can't remember been a while since I read on it.

·
FREEBIRD
8,055 Posts
It's still a little weird to see that many satellites tracking each other into orbit. So sci-fi it's almost disturbing. Personally, I think it's cool af. I hope a human walks on Mars before I die. I wish we could get our shit together on Earth first though. That ain't happening. Oh well....at least we have our motorcycles in the meantime!

·
Registered
17,234 Posts
It's still a little weird to see that many satellites tracking each other into orbit. So sci-fi it's almost disturbing. Personally, I think it's cool af. I hope a human walks on Mars before I die. I wish we could get our shit together on Earth first though. That ain't happening. Oh well....at least we have our motorcycles in the meantime!
Ehh. Not so much. Mine's still up on the stand. Called yesterday after 2 months about my Progressive shocks. I was told (March 15) 3-5 weeks. They still can't give me a ship date. Still have to get my back fender and lights re-wired. I'm a little intimidated there. I'll get a round TUIT one of these days.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
FREEBIRD
8,055 Posts
I'll get a round TUIT one of these days.
We had one of those on our fridge back in the day. A round tuit. It was sewn with yarn or maybe one of those plastic grids that you pull yarn through. Lol

·
Registered
221 Posts
I had a teacher that would hand out small wooden nickel type novelties with the word TUIT on it so there was no excuse for waiting.

MPD193 was right and I can't recall why I thought the oil change was a knuckle buster. I had no problems at all changing the oil in my driveway just before making this trip

North Alabama riding

·
FREEBIRD
8,055 Posts

She fired right up. God, I miss this bike! Check out the plate tag. Has it been 5 years already?! I told my wife I was going to store it for our Grandson for the next 14 years. She said "Jackson will not ride a bike!" I said "Wanna bet?" and showed her this pic. 😁 #badgrandad

·
FREEBIRD
8,055 Posts

Somebody's jealous! Lol

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,936 Posts
Ya need to ride more. :)

16501 - 16520 of 16544 Posts