16801 - 16820 of 16861 Posts

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,216 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Imagine what the engineer who built this would think of NASCAR or Tesla? - mind blown -
Two years ago I was with my VTX1800 + camera following the Cumbres & Toltec train through northern New Mexico and southern Colorado. I hooked up with a guy who also was following. We talked about the admiration we both have for the way that these locomotives have been preserved and are still working almost 100 years after being built. The train below was built in 1925.
He mentioned that he was an aerospace engineer who would love to rebuild machines like this using CURRENT technology. What a blast that would be!

NO! This is not a derailment; we're just talking technology here! :giggle::geek:

Train Sky Vehicle Rolling stock Track

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,216 Posts
You're talking my language, Henk. Machines and technology. There's a reason you can buy an 800 hp muscle car. these days.:LOL:(y)

View attachment 243050
Dodge is looking for a "chief donut maker." Get paid $150k to drive and promote a Hellcat for a year.

·
Registered
17,746 Posts

·
Registered
17,746 Posts
Reactions: Wigit

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,216 Posts
Cartoon Vertebrate Organ Human Organism

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,216 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Water Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
'Pothole':
According to Etymonline, pothole (n.) 1826, originally a geological feature in glaciers and gravel beds, from Middle English pot "a deep hole for a mine, or from peat-digging" (late 14c.), now generally obsolete, but preserved in Scotland and northern England dialect… Applied to a hole in a road from 1909.

I guess this is more of a 'pot'.
:giggle:

Other theories

There are other theories behind the name. Some say potholes got their name because of the potters who dug up chunks of clay from the Roman Empire’s smooth roadways more than 3,000 years ago. The clay became pots and those who rode over the holes in the ground knew they were created by potters, which led to their being called “potholes.” Admittedly, this is a somewhat implausible theory, but still fun to think about!

·
Registered
17,746 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: LEGO

·
Registered
17,746 Posts
'Pothole':
According to Etymonline, pothole (n.) 1826, originally a geological feature in glaciers and gravel beds, from Middle English pot "a deep hole for a mine, or from peat-digging" (late 14c.), now generally obsolete, but preserved in Scotland and northern England dialect… Applied to a hole in a road from 1909.

I guess this is more of a 'pot'.
:giggle:

Other theories

There are other theories behind the name. Some say potholes got their name because of the potters who dug up chunks of clay from the Roman Empire’s smooth roadways more than 3,000 years ago. The clay became pots and those who rode over the holes in the ground knew they were created by potters, which led to their being called “potholes.” Admittedly, this is a somewhat implausible theory, but still fun to think about!
Potholes are the state flower of Pennsylvania.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,722 Posts
Potholes are the state flower of Pennsylvania.
And Ohio. Nowhere near as bad in NC now, but I will always remember the roads that made the alignment shops rich.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Tinkerer
1,806 Posts
And Ohio. Nowhere near as bad in NC now, but I will always remember the roads that made the alignment shops rich.
No, it's the Red Carnation 😁

Reactions: henkvdb

·
Registered
17,746 Posts
oHIo- yes! Thats where I probably broke one of my MB shocks last fall, on Ironmk's group ride through a couple 'under construction zones with no transitions between the road base and the milled out top layers.

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,722 Posts
She getting a few miles on her
Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Odometer Car

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,722 Posts
I hope it lives longer than that....

16801 - 16820 of 16861 Posts