Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
16961 - 16980 of 16997 Posts

·
There Can Only Be One
2,775 Posts
Yesterday I was given a hydraulic motorcycle lift or jack perfect timing I’m going to change the oil my the bike this week.
Actually, you change the oil while the bike is on the kick stand to get the most oil out that you can...that's why the front drain plug is on the side of the block. I also rock the bike back and forth a little and put it back on the kick stand to get a little more out. Much easier without having to lift the bike, too.

·
Super Moderator
12,320 Posts
There is nothing wrong with changing the oil in a VTX with it straight up and down on a lift or stand. If true that this drains less old oil than leaned over on the sidestand, the difference is insignificant and will not affect engine longevity. It is much easier to change the oil when the bike is lifted and the much reduced wear and tear on your body compared to trying to reach under a VTX bike on its sidestand makes it greatly preferable to changing the oil on a lift or stand.

Reactions: PaXman11

·
There Can Only Be One
2,775 Posts
There is nothing wrong with changing the oil in a VTX with it straight up and down on a lift or stand. If true that this drains less old oil than leaned over on the sidestand, the difference is insignificant and will not affect engine longevity. It is much easier to change the oil when the bike is lifted and the much reduced wear and tear on your body compared to trying to reach under a VTX bike on its sidestand makes it greatly preferable to changing the oil on a lift or stand.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with doing it on the lift, but that's not how the front drain plug was designed to drain. Not sure how there's "wear and tear" on my body when I slide the drain pan under, lay down on my side to pull the two plugs and filter, let it drain for a few minutes and then reinstall the plugs & new filter...for a total of less than 5 minutes. I mean, yeah, getting up and down is tougher as we get older, but even on the lift, you still have to get down there to see the plugs and filter to r/r them. And yes, the amount of oil isn't much, but I want as much out as I can get...all while having to do the least amount of work as possible. Getting the lift in place correctly, raising and lowering the bike & removing the lift just adds more time (and possibly some mishaps if you goof up)...all of that is eliminated with the way I do it (and the manual even tells us this is the way to do it).

I'm sure he'll get it done either way. (y)

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,368 Posts
Bikes are made to drain on the side stands. I agree you'll get most of it but to get all the gunk out of pan it helps to be leaned over. I find it more annoying to deal with a lift anyway than just change it where it sits. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
12,320 Posts
Silver F last logged onto the VTX Cafe 9 months ago.

·
Registered
18,400 Posts
Has anyone heard from Chuck (@Silver F) lately? Wondering how he's doing.
I called him a week or so ago. He doesn't answer PM's or emails much anymore, even for me. He has been spending most of his time caring for his ailing wife, and he follows his routine of once a week riding 200-300 mi. around the very southern end of Texas. Other than that he is doing OK.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,775 Posts
I called him a week or so ago. He doesn't answer PM's or emails much anymore, even for me. He has been spending most of his time caring for his ailing wife, and he follows his routine of once a week riding 200-300 mi. around the very southern end of Texas. Other than that he is doing OK.
Glad to hear he's still around...gotta be tough with his wife's health. I know they moved down there for the better climate to help her some.

·
Registered
18,400 Posts
Just realized my 17th anniversary passed with being a Cafe' member...time flies by.
We are glad you're still around. Life gets in the way sometime and folks drift away from here to other things.

Reactions: henkvdb and MR VTX

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,368 Posts
16961 - 16980 of 16997 Posts