Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
F rider
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife just called, the new vance and hines bigshots are laying on the living room floor! I can't wait to get off work and get home to put them on! So does anybody have any tips to help make this easier on me!

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
take your time, dont be in a hurry...

get new crush gaskets...

if you can, get a second set of hands to help you...

wear gloves...

Thats all I can think of...

-Gonz

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
I installed my sideburners myself.......after you take off the old pipes, put them aside and wrap them in the packaging from the new ones....go over how to install before you do it......as you line everything up...use blue tape to hold them on the bike while you install.....that will take the place of the second pair of hands or at least help out.....tighten each bolt slowly and gently......keep the plastic wrap on until you are finished......clean them before you turn the bike on...gets rid of fingerprints and other dirt.....after you run them, retighted the acorn bolts...they need that!!

·
FREEBIRD
7,596 Posts
get new crush gaskets

-Gonz
All good advice. This one I tried to ignore when I changed pipes. Couldn't ride for a couple of days while I located some gaskets. Cheap but very important parts.

·
F rider
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dont tighten any bolts until the exhaust is installed and everything is lined up right.
All the advise I got was good, but this was the best advise of all! I got them on and all I can say is OMG this thing sounds incredible!!:mosh: I will post pics tomorrow, but they look great and sound like a million bucks!

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Congrats! :mosh:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Big shots are tight fitting. Have several towels available before starting. When assembling -heat shields- make sure you lay them on a cotton towel also cover the exhaust side of the engine to protect the chrome with a towel.

dd
:patriot:

·
F rider
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Big shots are tight fitting. Have several towels available before starting. When assembling -heat shields- make sure you lay them on a cotton towel also cover the exhaust side of the engine to protect the chrome with a towel.

dd
:patriot:
Very tight! I have 3 pieces of advise for installing them. 1. It is a two man job. 2. Don't tighten anything up untill you have every single bolt started. 3. Get the back pipe started before the front one. I don't think if you start the front one first you will ever get the rear in. It was really a very easy install, took about 2 hours.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
F rider
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LUUUUUUUUV the sound! I Got home this afternoon, and jumped on it and rode just to hear them sing a little. Pics will come tomorrow after I clean the rest of the bike! LOL

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Where's the pics?? Can't brag about your new pipes without posting pics...Oh, and congrats on the new pipes and install.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
ummm, Wazzup? PICTURES!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts