Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am looking to have enough Cash to be in the market for an 1800 around end of November early December. What would be some of the things I should. On the alert about? I know about bikes but are there any things that are specific to the vtx 1800?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
FREEBIRD
7,683 Posts
Be sure to check out the dilithium matrix in the warp core.
Good point. You should definitely beware of local speed limits and possible speed traps. The 1800 is shockingly 'torquey', not to be confused with 'twerky', which is actually the polar opposite, but I digress. Honda's are very reliable machines. Some guys have turned barn finds into daily drivers with a bit of elbow grease. Good luck in your search, Dead Eye.

·
Too short for my weight
5,555 Posts
Probably should make sure it has two wheels.... And a steering wheel, anyone can ride with handlebars, but a steering wheel takes guts!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Man, you guys are no help at all. :)

If it has been well maintained then unless it has over 50k you are good. Even 50k is mild depending on the year depending on the year and price. There are some on here I would buy their bike with 75k if the price was right.
Earlier years had grounding issues, easy fix available. A good site to visit for maintenance is www.bareasschoppers.com They will have all the fixes and situations that have risen on this bike. Overall a great bike for the money. Check to see if the pair valve removal mod was done and if not bareasschoppers will describe it. Since you know bikes I won't go into the typical things. If you can get it off the ground see how the wheels spin and listen for bearing noise. I would do all fluids when bought and go through the site I mentioned and you will be good to go. The rear brakes are dual link so read up on that. Hand front is all front. Rear is 80 rear 20 front with different pistons. Fuel injection only. No petcock. Warning light only when low on gas. When cold start and go. It does idle slightly faster when cold then drops down. Original head light bulb sucks. Most replace with Sam Beavin's LED bulb. Of course stock seat stinks. If you are lucky it will have a Mustang or Ultimatte X seat. What kind of pipes is up to you and what you like. Fairing as well if you like them. You will love the low end torque of this big V-twin with 4" pistons. Rev tops out at around 5600 rpm before the limiter kicks in. The 1800 is fast for a big bike. Smiles are normal. Good luck on your purchase and finding a good one that has been taken care of nicely.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts

Reactions: Fishingfoolemjak

·
Too short for my weight
5,555 Posts

·
Registered
16,871 Posts

·
Too short for my weight
5,555 Posts
You know that an 1800 won't sound like a HD, right?
huh?.......... [Forest Gump] I'm not a smart man, but i know what an HD is...

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,644 Posts
If the miles are low then check for things like rusty gas tank because it's been probably sitting most it's life.

Not much to worry on if it has oil and runs you should be good just make sure you do a full maintenance on it yourself to get a baseline. Not hard to do. Valves are a pain but best to do it when you are confident you can tackle it.

Wear items like any rubber (vacuum lines, tires, etc) will likely need looked at or replaced. Go by the year on tires over four is going to be problem especially any bike sitting outside. Older than that you'll be seeing things like sidewall cracks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I planned on looking in the tank no Matter what. And it will be getting a full tune up. I will be getting the valves adjusted according to mileage in some cases quite a few of the bikes listed down here are a couple thousand miles below time for first valve adjustment...

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,049 Posts
Several good inputs here...
One recommendation I would make as well would be to brush up on your options. Exhaust options (factory pipes = quiet) for aftermarket will cost you $500-$800 easy brand new when you can still find them. If pipes are something you'll want, you may want to target a bike that already has them as they add no book value to the resale. As someone else mentioned, watch for custom seats. The factory seats are lovingly referred to here as "bricks" and you'll soon learn why if you ride on one for more than 30 minutes.

Every VTX 1800 has the same FI 1800 CC engine and the same 5 speed gearbox. You will find differences in the six models (C,R,S,T,N,F) and it's always best to buy the one you want instead of spending $$$$ to change too much. Here's some info about the different renditions, but Google Images and this link will help tremendously (look at 2002-2008 model years for the 1800)- http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Honda-Motorcycle-Guides.htm.

The 1800 can be found in the R (retro - mag wheels), S (spoke wheels), and T (touring - bags, windscreen, sissybar) models which use the same fender style:

Honda also offered a C (custom) model that has shorter, "sportier" fenders and mag wheels:

Then there's the N (Neo) model with the custom hot-rod retro look fenders:

and the F model. Some people say F stands for "fast" but Honda simply marketed it as a "dragster" style set up:

There's also differences in "Spec" packages (1,2,3) that add different levels of chrome and polished aluminum. This is a chart for the C, but similar differences between the spec packages exist for all (see the totalmotorcycle.com site)

Reactions: PaXman11

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ha yeah Honda has the worst seats in the industry. My old CBR was like sitting on a wooden plank. But thanks good information!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also have decided to go with either the c or the f. The f model is a little harder to find in my price range. That might change when I am ready to buy (Christmas time) but I will see.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,644 Posts
Valves... Most never get the first valve adjustment done after break in 600 miles.
My bike had 2000 ish and valves were way off.
Once you get that first setting they rarely get too far out of spec.
Some check them at proper mileage, some go longer.
The important thing is that they are right to start with which is why I recommend it when you are ready for it. Tech sessions are great for that if you have one near.

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,049 Posts
Also, browse through the "bike of the month" threads and the "what have you done with your X today" threads to see some of the favorite accessories and mods.

It's FAR cheaper to find a bike with the accessories already on it, although it can be more fun doing the mods yourself.

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,644 Posts
Also, browse through the "bike of the month" threads and the "what have you done with your X today" threads to see some of the favorite accessories and mods.

It's FAR cheaper to find a bike with the accessories already on it, although it can be more fun doing the mods yourself.

Sent from my... wait - No free advertising here!
+1000

Knowing what I know now I would have bought a bike with way more mileage and useful accessories rather than buying what I did get. Sold off the stuff that came with it to people on here though so not end of world.
If two bikes are similar price and one has a comfy aftermarket seat, that's money saved right there.

·
Just an Ordinary Member
374 Posts
Several good inputs here...
One recommendation I would make as well would be to brush up on your options. Exhaust options (factory pipes = quiet) for aftermarket will cost you $500-$800 easy brand new when you can still find them. If pipes are something you'll want, you may want to target a bike that already has them as they add no book value to the resale. As someone else mentioned, watch for custom seats. The factory seats are lovingly referred to here as "bricks" and you'll soon learn why if you ride on one for more than 30 minutes.

Every VTX 1800 has the same FI 1800 CC engine and the same 5 speed gearbox. You will find differences in the six models (C,R,S,T,N,F) and it's always best to buy the one you want instead of spending $$$$ to change too much. Here's some info about the different renditions, but Google Images and this link will help tremendously (look at 2002-2008 model years for the 1800)- http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/Honda-Motorcycle-Guides.htm.

The 1800 can be found in the R (retro - mag wheels), S (spoke wheels), and T (touring - bags, windscreen, sissybar) models which use the same fender style:

Honda also offered a C (custom) model that has shorter, "sportier" fenders and mag wheels:

Then there's the N (Neo) model with the custom hot-rod retro look fenders:

and the F model. Some people say F stands for "fast" but Honda simply marketed it as a "dragster" style set up:

There's also differences in "Spec" packages (1,2,3) that add different levels of chrome and polished aluminum. This is a chart for the C, but similar differences between the spec packages exist for all (see the totalmotorcycle.com site)

quoted for truth

first, it's a Honda

next, it's a Honda

OK, enough about quality

check for leaks, smells (yes, get near the engine)

but buying a bike with options that you know you want is the best way

I knew that I wanted aftermarket exhaust and saddlebags and made sure that the bike I bought either had them or was priced so attractively that it didn't matter

Your name shows FL so you should try and look for garage kept bikes because the sun is murder on paint and rubber/vinyl here.

next, consider color. I'm not a fan of black (especially in FL) but should you ever decide to go with a fairing or other body items then many already come in black so you'll save some time and $$$$ not having to prep and paint to match

If the bike does have an aftermarket exhaust, when it's running, slowly increase the throttle and listen for any stutter. Then, blip the throttle and listen to see if it almost dies or returns nicely back to idle. If it's not smoothe then you're looking at needing fuel mgmt due to the exhaust.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for that... Yeah not a fan of black either though if I get a good deal I might have to go with it. Not a huge fan of big fairings, if it doesn't already have it I will be going with removable wind screen. Biggest options i will be looking for are seat and back rest and maybe bags, but want those to be removable as well.

·
Too short for my weight
5,555 Posts
I looked for the bike itself, but I like doing mods and working on adding accessories and making the bike my own... It's whatever you're into.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts