Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Whatever...
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend took his bike out for a ride over Labor Day weekend. It seems that he got about half a mile from his house when he was in a serious accident. He has a broken femur, pelvis, wrist, several broken ribs, a punctured lung and other injuries. I have ridden with him and he is a cautious rider.

This got me to thinking about my bike, how much I (don't) use it, and my health insurance. I will probably sell it when I get to Florida in late October/early November.

I bought the bike with 12K miles on it in 2015. It had a Vance & Hynes exhaust, and saddle bags when I bought it. Since then I have;
  • changed and maintained all fluids
  • de-PAIRed the engine
  • rebuilt the forks
  • replaced all the drive "cush"es
  • rebuilt and tuned the carb
  • added 4 way flashers
  • added a Memphis Shades windshield
  • replaced the steering head bearings
  • replaced the battery
  • changed to Shinko whitewalls, converted the rims to tubeless and added Ride-On
  • replaced the brake pads and added a braided stainless front brake line.
The bike currently has less than 21K miles, meaning that I have only put 9K miles on in 6 years.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Water

Pre-whitewalls

Tire Plant Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

This year

While the bike is not perfect (it has a small ding on the tank, and scratch on the rear fender), the bike has never let me down in any way since I have owned it. It is just about bullet proof!

Because this community has been very helpful to me over the past 6 years, I'm letting you guys know what I am currently thinking.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Its a tough decision for some of us. I haven't ridden in the last 3 years and am thinking at times along the same line...but it saddens me and I tell myself I'm putting it back on insurance and I'm going to start riding again...and I haven't done anything differently...

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,613 Posts
I can't imagine a life, for me, without riding. It's what I do. It's who I am. I've been hit a few times but healed up and got back in the saddle. That first ride after a wreck is a sumbitch, but I do it anyway. We all are going to die, but not all are going to live. People die in car wrecks but we get back in cars. Planes, trains, crossing the street, etc. People die from doing those things as well, but we get back to doing those things. I do not judge anyone for the decisions that they make regarding their safety. That is a personal choice and I make those choices as well. I hope everyone stays safe.

If you decide to sell your bike, please let me know. I would like a shot at buying that gorgeous bike.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've been down 3 times and still going. Luckily they were all lowsiders at around 45-50 mph or less. 1 was my fault when I was younger and taking a corner too fast being stupid. The other 2 were cagers (1 was a little old lady that decided to cut me off). After the first accident, I stopped riding for a long time cause it scared me. Then, I just started to miss it too much. I ALWAYS wear protective gear though no matter how hot. 90 degrees in leather doesn't bother me. I have a $600 jacket for my sportbike and the gloves are $300 . They are the knox handroids and they had done tests on them where they drop blades onto them and they don't get damaged because of the hard plastic going along the fingers. I guess it simulates if you were to go into a guardrail or something , IDK 😳. You get what you pay for with gear I think.

The one time I had to have gravel dug out of my knee from the slide. My knee got banged up , but not a scratch above the waist. One time I hit my head also (not too hard ) , and the fullface saved me from who knows what. I just had a concussion. Goes to show how much you can get away with wearing gear. That's why the motogp guys can crash at 100mph and walk away easily. All that taught me to be more careful. We take risks in life and just do the best we can to avoid the other idiots that are on the road . Some have much toto important texts that they can't miss, so .... I figure when it's my turn, I'll go

·
Tinkerer
1,799 Posts
I've been down 3 times and still going. Luckily they were all lowsiders at around 45-50 mph or less. 1 was my fault when I was younger and taking a corner too fast being stupid.
That's how I crashed 6 years ago, taking a corner too fast. I learned a lot about riding and about myself from that.

Reactions: footprintsinconc

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
eherlihy, I have been riding off and on since I was 25 yrs old and over 50,000 miles since I started and over 25,000 miles since I retired in 5/1/2017. I have never gone down until 6/10/2021 when I broke my right arm just below the shoulder ball. My fault, let myself get distracted by a near by siren from a fire truck, BUT as long as my arm heals up to where I can ride again I will not stop riding (and BTW I am currently 70 yrs old)!!! When someone asks me if I am not afraid of dying, I tell them that I am more afraid of reaching the end of my life and my last thought is that a wish I had...........................................(fill in your own thought)! As for me, I have flown general aviation air craft, Ultralights, Skydived from 10,000 feet on my first jump without being tethered to anyone else (where you have to pull your own ripcord), captained my own twin engine 38 foot yacht, of course you know about the bikes. No matter where I go from here I will have no regrets and if Elon Musk was to ask me if I wanted to go to the moon on the first trip on Super Heavy I would sign up on the spot!!!! I guess it is everybody to their own. Good luck going ahead and have fun!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts