Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been a forum voyeur for a while, but finally making my first post. I apologize if this is somewhere else in the forum, I've looked pretty hard.

I own a 2007 VTX1300C. I recently installed the Glens Permanent A/F screw and backed it out to 2 1/2 turns, and man. It's solved all my problems. The engine is running just right and my spark plugs are a beautiful chocolate brown (compared to bright white before).

My question for the group is this. I'm thinking of doing the clayton mod to my pipes, too. Does anyone know what this will do to my gas mileage. I saw one person say his mileage went up, but I always thought your mileage went down when you freed up air flow. If it goes up, I'm definitely wanting to do this.

Let me know what you know guys and girls,

Thanks.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
It wont affect it to any noticeable difference.

-Gonz

·
Registered
198 Posts
When I did Mine (7 holes, 2 of them deep) I didn't notice any fuel mileage differance just louder, sounds great. After I did the scar mod and decapitated my air box, I noticed it was quicker with a faster throttle responce, but my fuel mileage is still about the same. It's always been 38 - 43.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I don't know that it effect the milage one way or the other. It'll make the pipes a little louder but that's about it. Now if you do the kiwi mod I think you'll find the milage go down some. I don't know that much about the 1300 but this is what I found on the 1800.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
+1 on all above. No change in mileage on my 1300 after doing the Clayton mod. 7 holes around and one deep at 6'oclock position to open up sealed baffle tube to make it a deeper sound.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on all above. No change in mileage on my 1300 after doing the Clayton mod. 7 holes around and one deep at 6'oclock position to open up sealed baffle tube to make it a deeper sound.
Thanks for the help on mileage all of you, now I have a few of more questions.

1. I'm wanting to add a little volume but mostly depth to the sound. I just want to be heard better on the highway. The last thing I want to do is shatter windows. I was thinking of doing a 5 hole mod and starting off with 1/4" holes then increasing until I get the volume I like. Is this a good idea, or is it a better idea to do the 15/32 holes and start with two and keep increasing?

2. I didn't realize there were multiple levels to drill through. I see the black cap on the end with about a 1" pipe. Is getting through that is what y'all mean by a "shallow" hole? How deep is the deep hole at the 6 o'clock position?

3. If I'm looking for depth first, then volume second, should I start w/ a hole at the 6 o'clock then move from there?

Thanks for the help, y'all.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
second plate is about 10 or so inches back, you'll need a 12 inch long drill bit to reach it. 1/4 inch holes won't let the sound waves out properly need 1/2 inch holes. check out older threads about the clayton mod, they can explain the sound wave principles better that i can

·
9,160 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Sebring, Florida. :icon_wave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I did it.

First, I punched a 15/32 hole at the 6 o'clock and drilled it deep enough to take out the end of the baffle.

Cranked it up, and I could hear the depth. Loved what it added. Just sounded so much deeper. I rode it around, and found that it didn't add much volume, though. So I punched another at the top. Now I can tell the volume is increased and it sounds even deeper.

I'll probably end up drilling 4. I would still like a little more volume, but I'm wanting to take it slow to see how it sounds on rides and go from there.

Thanks everyone for your help, it's definitely worth it.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Thats the way to go about it... drill a couple, go ride..

The shallow holes are for volume. The Deep holes are for Depth of Tone.

I ended up at 7 holes, 4 of them deep (2 ea baffle) and was quite pleased with the result.

Happy Drilling!

-Gonz

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did the hole saw mod. Drilled the whole baffle out and I love the sound. Don't know if it affected the gas mileage because I did it with only 28 miles on the bike.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
TGORDO4
39 Posts
Easy!

Just wanted to chime in and say to anyone who's nervous about doing this, that it's really easy. I'm new and the thought of drilling into perfectly good pipes wasn't very easy for me. I used a masonary bit to make pilot holes and bought a 12" 3/8 drill bit for the holes. I stopped at five holes in each pipe for now....wanna ride it a couple of times before I go any further. Only took a half hour and already sounds much louder. Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
ditto on the effort-to-benefit ratio!

Just here to echo the words on how easy and satisfying this mod is. I bought my 06 1300C less than 3 weeks ago. It is my FIRST bike I've ever ridden. But one incident of almost getting my front tire clipped by a car coming into my lane in medium traffic made my decision easier. After the mod I went for a loooong ride and no one came near me the whole time.

I was pretty nervous so I actually went through a more lengthy process than most I think.
My steps:
1: took one of my kid's foam craft sheets (looks like construction paper, may be about 1/8" thick or so, I think they sell them at Michael's) and used it as a template. Easy enough to cut so that it fit in the baffle around the exhaust hole.
2: marked out where I wanted the center of the holes, then used a 1/2" washer to draw out the diameter, just to make sure no holes would overlap and there was space for 7 holes (yes I decided to just go straight to 7, that just worked better for me)
3: put the template on one pipe and used a nail poke to notch thew center of each hole. One template fits both pipes, no need to make two.
4: I drilled into the notch with an 1/8" bit. I used bicycle chain grease to lube the bit every once in a while. Just be careful not to get the lube to slide down into the drill's bit connector as it may start to slide around (which can be easily solved if you have bicycle degreaser, which thankfully I also had).
5: Drilled again with 1/4" bit
6: Finished with 1/2" bit
7: sprayed some heat resistant black spray paint on the ends of the pipes so I'd have a unifrom color. The spray is like an epoxy almost so I found it helpful to quickly wip the area with a plastic bag to get a uniform look.

Not sure if I needed the intermediate 1/4" or not. Hoping not as I bought a 12" long 1/8" and 1/2" bits. I'm going to read the forums some more to see what is meant by "more tone." I may go for it, I understand now why everyone says drilling is addicting! :)

Tip: do this on a driveway or put a towel under the area. Little metal shaving go flying in about a 2-3 foot radius downwards (and can be very hot, so best to wear eye protection).

I'll post some photos once I get past my 5 needed posts.

Oh! and no difference detected at all on mileage, but I'm not sure I'd be the best to know at this point...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts