Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bike has started some thing new. It is making a terrible popping/ crackling noise out of the exhaust at 2000 to 2200 rpms while driving through town barley any throttle. If I let completely off no noise, and if I gas on it harder it doesn't do it either. It also sounds fine at 3000rpms going down the highway like it should. My bike has just rolled over 8000mi would this be the valves needing adjusting? anything will help THANKS!!!

Randy:banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Could be lots of things...usually with popping exhaust...my first checks are:

1) Re-torque the exhaust bolts

2) Check the battery cables

3) Add in some seafoam (could be bad gas...and not from tacos :))

Those are the simple checks...after that, a re-jet? Valve issues will usually not cause a popping exhaust.

Bull

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help. And it not bad gas I have rode it 650 miles in the past 2 1/2 days. With sea foam in the first 2 tanks

I have checked the exhaust, its good and tight.

And no I have not totally rejetted but my A/F screw fell out shortly after I bought it, which I have bought a new one and fixed. about 2 1/4 out with the needle on the 4th clip. It has cobra pipes with no baffles and stock air filter.

No I have not removed the pair valves... do you think that could be it?
The thing that has me stumped is it just started this.

I will check the battery cables thanks!

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
As epiphysis asked above - have you removed the par valve and added blockoff plates and not just plugged it off. It will make a gurgling sound.

What jet kit. When you replaced the a/f did you put the washer O ring ans spring back in there. When the old one fell out did you make sure the old O ring was out of there. you don't want two in there.

Donut:patriot:Doug

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
You need to give a little more info on your bike
Is there any air box mod or change
How long ago were the valves adjusted, I see just over 8000 on a 2004 dang that is 6 months riding for me.
How often do you use the choke and how long.
Brand of jet kit used along with the size of the main jet and pilot.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The air box is stock as stated above. and i doubt the valves have ever been adjusted, that is my next step.

And yes I know only 8000 miles that is why I bought it! (about 3 weeks ago)

And I never use the choke don't need it.

I don't know the brand of jets it was done when i got it. I would put money on that the stealership did it. every thing on the bike when i got it was honda line!!

I think I need to remove the pair valves.

Thanks

ps yes the o ring was gone as well. I put a new o ring, washer, spring, and screw in that order in it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
exhauxt pop

So my bike has started some thing new. It is making a terrible popping/ crackling noise out of the exhaust at 2000 to 2200 rpms while driving through town barley any throttle. If I let completely off no noise, and if I gas on it harder it doesn't do it either. It also sounds fine at 3000rpms going down the highway like it should. My bike has just rolled over 8000mi would this be the valves needing adjusting? anything will help THANKS!

Randy:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Was this sound high pitched like a spark arking. Just asking because i had same symptoms at about the same rpms.If this is the same problem I wish I could help but cant because mine just stopped doing it buy itself. if it comes back and i find out what it is I will post what i find. and if you find out what it is please post so i will no what to look for thanx.....

·
Registered
743 Posts
More info needed. Are the pipes stock? Does it do this in any gear? Do you have a fuel chip on it?

·
Registered
4 Posts
well I hate to break this to ya but I have a 2005 1800f model which is fuel injected has cobra pipes and cobra 2000fi controller have done pair valve removal and opened up air box. Now the reason for telling all this is I bought this bike with 11,400 miles on it and now has almost 27,000 it has popped and surged at 2000 rpm with little or no load from the day I bought it and the Honda dealer put baffles in the exhaust and didn't help a thing then I added controller and done the other upgrades and it hasnt helped a bit. Love bike but so ready to find out what this is or trade it off

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i dont know why I never came back to this thread but it was the pair valves. I removed them and problem solved!

Sorry for the 8 month delay!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts