Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I really wanna do a 240 kit on my VTX 1300 but as with most cost is an issue. From my research it seems the most expensive part is the rear wheel itself.

Now for the possibly dumb question...

I found a wheel for a 240 tire intended for Harley or chopper but the pattern/look is very similar to the VTX, is there any reason that wheel wont work on the VTX? Can it be inexpensively modified?
:hmm2:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I have his number, I just hate buggin the buy, i know hes slammed especially in the winter... But your right if anyone knows its him!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's why I'm trying to do it cheaper. I found the rim I need for 200 as opposed to the 1000 or more most spend. But I don't wanna buy it and then invest in the 240 swing arm and it not fit

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Ask Stump but my guess is no. The rear wheel for the X is designed for a shaft driven bike. I can only imagine the numerous mods needed to make a wheel for a belt or chain drive bike work on it. Keep looking. I'm sure there's a wheel that'll work. But again...check with Stump to be sure.

·
Chrome Ho
2,037 Posts
Cost you more than you want to pay to make that happen. If youre running on a limited budget to begin with you for sure want to run from that deal. Best advice I can give... Be careful. You can only cut the corners so far then you start running into yourself. I see it all the time. People buy parts trying to save a buck only to find out after the fact it costs more to repair, change, modify, wont fit etc than if you just stay on course and do it the right way with parts you know for sure will work and that are warranteed.

·
Chrome Ho
2,037 Posts
Yes you can change the hubs. But his point is to keep his costs down within his budget and changing the hubs doesnt do that according to the discussions we've had.

Also some manufacturers are reluctant to sell just hubs.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is that sarcastic? I know RC Components sells a "phantom hub which makes any rim work with the VTX however im sure its ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Is that sarcastic? I know RC Components sells a "phantom hub which makes any rim work with the VTX however im sure its ridiculously expensive.

Problem is that RC doesn't sell just the Phantom Hub by itself...gotta get their wheel with it. Even if they did you still would need to have a custom internal spacer fabricated which would ultimately cost you more $$$ then buying the RC wheel from the get go. Ever notice why there are only a few VTX's with Weld and Renegade wheels on them??? Because it's damn expensive:(

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just don't get why the Wheel is 1000+ dollars? All for rims for my Mustang were like 1000 and they were 12" wide in the back. I would understand if i wanted chrome... But one black 18x8.5? $1000???

I understand there milled and everything and that process is wasteful and time consuming but why does no one sell a normal wheel for like 300 bucks?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I just don't get why the Wheel is 1000+ dollars? All for rims for my Mustang were like 1000 and they were 12" wide in the back. I would understand if i wanted chrome... But one black 18x8.5? $1000???

I understand there milled and everything and that process is wasteful and time consuming but why does no one sell a normal wheel for like 300 bucks?
Basic economics, supply and demand. Mustang wheels are mass produced in large quantities. VTX RC wheels are made to order, they are not just sitting on a shelf ready to ship.

There is no $300 wheel becuase it would take a huge investment (easily in the Million$) to get them that cheap. And since there is no market for them in that quantity no business man is going to put any $$$ into a losing proposition.

If you are looking for mass produced parts you probably should get a Harley. I tell everyone the same thing when they ask about how much it took to build my bike....

"Harley's are expensive but parts are cheap, VTX's are cheap but parts are expensive." Pick your poison.

·
Chrome Ho
2,037 Posts
Problem is that RC doesn't sell just the Phantom Hub by itself...gotta get their wheel with it. Even if they did you still would need to have a custom internal spacer fabricated which would ultimately cost you more $$$ then buying the RC wheel from the get go. Ever notice why there are only a few VTX's with Weld and Renegade wheels on them??? Because it's damn expensive:(
Bingo! :patriot:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just saying make custom VTX wheels, which wouldn't be a grand, like stump modded a stock rim to be 17x7.5, and I know people who modded there rim to 18. I guess the difference is there not the cool RC component style,and there not milled. I would just do that except I have spoke wheels right now and don't know anyone with the know how to mod the wheel.

So, again, I will switch my focus to the foots / slapjack mod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts