Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking around under my bike this evening because I smelled a tiny bit of coolant after a ride and I wanted to investigate. I don't see any apparent leaks but I did find one single drop of coolant on the ground where I park my bike -- it seemed like it had collected too much dirt/dust to have been from tonight, but it definitely came from somewhere....

First, any thoughts on where the coolant might be coming from? It looked like it would have been from the area directly under the side panel, straight down, but I couldn't find anything on the bike itself... Maybe in daylight tomorrow.

In the meantime, I found this hose wasn't connected to the tank, where it looked like it should have been. I hooked it up and ran the bike to confirm I didn't create any new problems, and it ran exactly like it did before I connected it.

I'm talking about the hose that looks grey in this pic:

What is it, should it, in fact, be connected, and why would the bike run no differently with or without it?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Grey hose should be the vent line

·
Registered
137 Posts
Look at your water pump , there is a weep hole on the bottom, if it is leaking, then you need a new one. If you are going to replace it, be sure to get oil and a new oil filter too, because you have to dump the oil to change the pump.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,523 Posts
Tank vent line.

I had slow coolant leak from temperature sensor by thermostat. Not sure if 1800 has similar setup. I also had slow drip leak at thermostat housing that needed new oring.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
like above has said.. and check the tightness of all hose clamps.. has been known for them to loosen and cause 1 or 2 drops to show on floor.. but recheck the little hole on bottom of water pump.. maybe 3 or 4 times.. recheck.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Coolant temp sending unit can be leaking too..Went through that back in the spring of this year...

And yes that grey hose is supposed to be connected to that fitting on the gas tank...

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Ditto all the above plus check raditor cap for leak.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the replies. I will keep a close eye on all of it. I didn't have time to check too much today but it looks and feels like everything is tight and I didn't see coolant at the weep hole....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
A leak directly under the left side cover onto the floor would indicate a water pump...like Bad X said...look at the weep hole to see if any fluid.

Bull

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also make sure your drain plug is tight. It can have a slow leak if its not torqued/seated well enough.
I haven't confirmed for sure but this may be our culprit. It's really hard for me to get under there the way it is in the garage (it's a few inches from a piano and I have to squeeze in between) but the next chance I get to move it I'll check it out. I found some dried-on green right under the drain plug, so that may be our guy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts