Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is your speedometer? On the tank or mounted on the handle bars. I'm trying to tell the difference between a 2005 & 2008 as my VIN indicates a 2005 manufacture date but it was sold as a 2008. Zero miles, I am the first owner.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Pretty sure all the C model speedo's are handlebar mounted.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Isn't the year and model labeled on one of the front downtubes as well. You might also want to take the VIN# off your bike and take a look at the link below. this should let you decode the exact year and let you know if the dealer was up to some funny business or something. If it was a 2005 it should have been sold as such. I think that would have given you a little more leverage in making a deal on the sale. As it becomes a newer bike so does the dealers ability to get a better price on it. I think I'd cry foul on that. When did you buy the bike and what does the year on all the papwerwork say? Not to mention this may cause you some issue with insurace and registration at some point.

http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/resources/deciphering-the-vtx-vin/

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
R,S & N are in the dash on tank.

+1 on what ctgoodman said!

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
I also saw another thread you said your sticker is missing that has the year on it. Where did you get VIN# off the bike from that you referenced. I think there is one stamped into the neck of the frame. I'd look for the stamped VIN# to be sure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is on the dash on the tank. And from what I can tell from the 06 and below they arent digital. From what the dealer told me they started that in 07. hope that helps

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All,

Don't get me wrong, there is a VIN tag on the right side frame that's riveted into the frame just below the fork tree. This was why I was asking about the speedometers as that one gentleman was saying that there were tags on both sides on the frame. I really don't mind if it's a 05 or 08 as it had zero miles to begin with but as most have pointed out, it's a matter of paperwork, insurance & possibly final price. At the moment, I've put too much into the bike to tell them I don't want it but if compensation is due my NY/Italian attitude will be most apparent to the local Irish MC dealer!

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
I wouldn't say take the bike back either. It wouldn't matter to me if it was an 05 or 08 with 0 miles either. It just needs to be clarified which one it actually is and all the paperwork needs to reflect exactly that. I didn't think that VIN was riveted to the frame. I always thought it was stamped in the steering neck of the frame. Is there one there? Maybe throw up some photos of what you are seeing and maybe we can have an idea if other 1800's have these in the same locations. I might be wrong but a riveted VIN# plate seems a little fishy to me.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, here's my VIN tag that's mounted on the right downarm below the fork tree & yes, the VIN is allso stamped into the frame on the neck as well.

·
His Excellency
617 Posts
Hmmm.. So it's definately an 05. that SC46U after the 1HF has me a bit puzzled. It's most likey correct and it's just a different model than they had documented. That 3 is a check digit and 5 is the year. The A means it was manufactured in Ohio and then the last 6 digits are unique to your bike. I'd definately take that up with the dealer and see what they come up with for an explanation. You definately want to get that paper work straght on the year for insurance, registration, and any future resale. There is definately something up if they are calling it an 08 as your VIN definately says it's and 05. Best of luck. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The only bikes that differ with the speedo on the bars or dash is the last part of production. At the end of production they were running out of parts to finish bikes. There are some C models with the digital speedo on the dash, fuel tank.
They use F model parts.

·
Registered
30 Posts

all due respect but in 05 they were NOT running out of parts they kept production going thru 07 and into 08 there were 4 C types coded as vtx 1800 c1,c2,c3& c4 I have the 2006 vtx 1800 C3 which has factory painted flames and Chrome radiator frame . you have a 2005 with out any question :choppersm:choppersm:choppersm

·
Registered
27 Posts
My 2005 1800C has a handlebar mounted speedo/odo. Idiot lights and odo control button on tank.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just a quick update. Yes, they do admit that this one is a 2005 rather than a 2008 and was a minor oversite when they intitally spoke to me. Price would have ben the same as they were selling them off at a huge discount price to where they made money as well. Title paperwork here in Ireland is rather backwards for the most part so I'm not really worried about it once I move back to the U.S. as they'll go by the VIN & Insurance stays the same. For my inconvience, I get my first service & loaner bike no charge so in any event it's a win/win for me. For me, it was all about any price difference and what year should I need to order parts/addons.

Thanks to all that responded with advice/info!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Nice, glad you got this cleared up...It is important that they made it right and it sounds like you still got a good deal. But the important thing is you are happy!

I worked at a dealer a while ago and i remember that in 2006 Honda moved to a "sticker" VIN plate in addition to the frame stamped VIN.

Pretty cool you got a 2005 with 0 miles on it too!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
all due respect but in 05 they were NOT running out of parts they kept production going thru 07 and into 08 there were 4 C types coded as vtx 1800 c1,c2,c3& c4 I have the 2006 vtx 1800 C3 which has factory painted flames and Chrome radiator frame . you have a 2005 with out any question :choppersm:choppersm:choppersm
I added this for information only. Personally speaking I like to learn and information is a big help in the learning process.
I have never heard of a 1800 vtx c4
A c4 is not in my parts manual no where
I am aware of the spec 1/2/3
Spec 2/3 stared in 05

just a thought
dd

1 - 19 of 19 Posts