Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I tryed searching for the answers but i didnt find anything I could use so how hard is it to replace the throttle cables and does anyone have a write up on how it is done:stirpot:

·
Registered
84 Posts
i haven't done it but it shouldn't be that hard. the tank will have to come off to access the cable routing to the carb along with the air breather and there are 2 screws at the bottom of the throttle grip that come out to take the throttle grip apart.

i don't know where a write up would be at, but you can find it in the service manual i would think.

good luck!

·
Dapper Dave
2,805 Posts
Replaced both the throttle and clutch cables on my R, took me a while because I am not that good with a wrench.
Needed to take off the tank for the throttle cables and had the manual to look at.
Take your time.
I ran into the same problem when I asked for help on this one and the suggestions were to jump in because it is pretty basic.
Good luck!
PS: adjusted bars to give slack to remove throttle cables.

·
Union of Concerned Cynics
212 Posts
The manual doesn't show exactly what to do. +1 on tank and airbox removal. I started at the throttle body and put the innermost on first (push, I believe) then pull. The outermost gave me the most difficulty by not wanting to line up correctly, but I got it. Look first at how the old ones are in before removing. And, you won't want to hear this again, you will figure it out once you start doing it. The theory part is simple, the application part is not so bad, just maxes out your finger dexterity around the throttle body. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a proud new VTX owner and have switched out my bars. Having issues putting the throttle cables back on the new throttle tube and think the cables may be too short now. Can I run them on the inside of the forks to get more lenghth????

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can definately run your cables behind the triple tree to get a little extra length. I have a 1300C and was able to change out my bars to 8 up and 15 back with simply rerouting the cables..

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can gain a little extra slack in your brake line by loosening the clamp about 5 inches above the caliper and removing some of the excess there. The rubber piece in clamp holds the brake line tight, so you may need to remove the clamp and work the rubber down the hose with a little encouragement.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts