Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been trying to troubleshoot an issue on my 04 vtx1300 with about 4k miles. I'm in the process of tuning my carb with jets and needle shimming. Mods include: Cobra pipes - no baffle, high flow air filter, 202 main jet, 58 pilot, and two washers shim on the needle.

I've been following the tuning procedure from Charlie D. on this forum. It pulls pretty good in second gear from 45mph and up to the limiter. If I shift into 3rd and 4th and keep it wide open throttle, it eventually (after about 5 seconds) runs out of - I would assume gas? - and starts sputtering and cutting out until I let off the throttle and lightly feather the throttle to get it back.

It did the same thing with the stock air filter, cobra pipes, stock jets, and with 1 shim on the needle.

I thought changing the main jet would have solved the issue, but it hasn't yet. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I wonder if something is restricting the flow of fuel to the carb. Perhaps the fuel filter in the tank (on the stalk of the petcock that inserts into the tank), perhaps the fuel filter at the fuel inlet to the carb, or perhaps a vacuum leak that is keeping the petcock from opening properly or consistently.

Reactions: JohnPaul2007VTX1300

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not had the petcock apart, but that would be a good place to start. I'll look into it. Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,653 Posts
Check that the vent hose at the right rear (bottom) of the fuel tank is attached.
I run 210 main, 60 pilot, shim on 4th notch, and a/f a little past 2 turns. I have a very open airbox (top and front), but now I'm using '08 1300 stock exhaust. Plugs read very good, avg mpg @ 45. In 5th gear, the tach reads 2000rpm and 50mph. 60mph gets the tach up to 3000. I found there's only 500 rpm difference between gears. I have no stall/hesitation points.
Since you had this problem before any changes, as a start I'd look at changing all the vacuum hoses. Pretty cheap troubleshoot. CharlieD always advised to look at the simple things first and from personal experience -- he was very correct.
RIP Charlie (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sumdatx, thanks for the reply. I checked for that and it is not attached. From what I have read, it's the fuel tank breather tube which is connected to a "T". One side of the T is open, the other has another tube on it which drains to the ground. Would it matter if it's not attached if it's only a drain tube?

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
I have always struggled with how that vent hose can affect things. I do not understand how but others have reported strange happenings when it is not connected.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,653 Posts
Hey sumdatx, thanks for the reply. I checked for that and it is not attached. From what I have read, it's the fuel tank breather tube which is connected to a "T". One side of the T is open, the other has another tube on it which drains to the ground. Would it matter if it's not attached if it's only a drain tube?

View attachment 240522
It's the only vent for the fuel tank which is even more important because our VTX1300s are a gravity feed fuel system. Sucking fuel at WOT probably creates a vacuum in the tank without that vent tube. I cut a beat up tank apart just to see how that vent was laid out. The vent tube runs in an S pattern along the top of the tank to a rectangular metal box on the inside front just ahead of the filler neck. It seemed to me to be a solid little box but I could have missed something about that box.
Anyway, this is a cheap way to see if connecting the vent tube solves your problem: its a vent tube not a drain tube. I've never noticed fuel dripping out but have briefly smelled fumes when getting down close to the tube exit just after riding.
Must have dropped a couple of bright colors out of my crayon box and had to pick up the pieces o_Oo_O:eek:;)
Sad you lose some bright colors as you age :mad:
It wouldn't hurt to put in a 210 main jet. Hope you're using a Factory Pro jet kit. Makes tuning simple and easy and mostly predictable when following CharlieD's instructions. His instructions are pretty much what Factory Pro advises. (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts