Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
FREEBIRD
7,599 Posts
I'm assuming you're happy with the Traeger? I like the 'set and forget' of the automatic feed. I might try to convince my wife to get a smaller version for my birthday.:icon_birt I've also heard Pit Boss has a similar 'entry level'(read: cheaper) smoker.

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I’d say they’re all pretty good now. But, no doubt about it, I love my Traeger. It’s up’ed my smoking game to a whole nuther level.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Yum, yum, had to be good eating! :patriot:

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,046 Posts
I'm assuming you're happy with the Traeger? I like the 'set and forget' of the automatic feed. I might try to convince my wife to get a smaller version for my birthday.:icon_birt I've also heard Pit Boss has a similar 'entry level'(read: cheaper) smoker.
I'd something happened to my Traeger, I absolutely would buy another one right away. I've heard good things about Pit Boss pellet grills and would consider that brand as well.

My only complaint is that it's very very difficult to get it hot enough to sear a steak. I finally bought a cheapie gas grill just for my steaks.

·
Super Moderator
5,351 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
My only complaint is that it's very very difficult to get it hot enough to sear a steak. I finally bought a cheapie gas grill just for my steaks.
I bought a used cast iron griddle and use it to sear my steaks after I smoke them. Placed in the back of the grill opposite of the smoke stack. It gets plenty hot enough..

·
FREEBIRD
7,599 Posts
I was considering getting a pellet smoker, but now I'm leaning towards an offset barrel type. The Oklahoma Joe's Highland to be precise. I have watched a hundred videos on how to modify it to make it better and have bookmarked a mod parts supplier. The smoker just went on sale this week at Lowes($100 off) so I'm seriously considering taking the plunge....maybe today?:shrug: Imagine all the fun I'll have trying to figure out how many beers it takes to smoke a brisket!:beer:-- turns heat waaaaaay down --:beer: :beer::beer:

·
This guy needs all 1800cc
2,046 Posts
I was considering getting a pellet smoker, but now I'm leaning towards an offset barrel type. The Oklahoma Joe's Highland to be precise. I have watched a hundred videos on how to modify it to make it better and have bookmarked a mod parts supplier. The smoker just went on sale this week at Lowes($100 off) so I'm seriously considering taking the plunge....maybe today?:shrug: Imagine all the fun I'll have trying to figure out how many beers it takes to smoke a brisket!-- turns heat waaaaaay down --
That's doing it the traditional way!
Props!

·
FREEBIRD
7,599 Posts
I hope you don't mind me posting this here, Jim.(at least it's on topic, lol)

I finally did it! I bought my first smoker. :mosh:It's the Oklahoma Joe's Highland offset smoker I mentioned earlier.

20180421_194626.jpg

I got a smokin' deal on it.(baahaha) It was regularly $450, on sale for $350.(can't really compare Canadian prices with US, this is a great price up here) The only one left in the warehouse was damaged beyond use, so they offered the already assembled floor model for an additional 10% off. That basically covered the cost of the cover.(baahaha) Of course I had to fill my cart with other stuff like charcoal, apple wood chunks, a small iron griddle, a chimney starter, etc. so it really started to add up. Oh well, I'm only gonna tell the wife what I paid for the BBQ.;)

Once I wrestled it out of my SUV, I started the mods right away. Lol, it's a sickness...I know. First was adding a 90* elbow to the inside of the exhaust. It was a little too close to the rack so I took the last section off the elbow.

20180421_194644 (2).jpg

I then took the firebox off and separated the top and bottom halves, coated the seam with high-temp stove sealer, and reassembled. Did the same between the firebox and smoke chamber, sealed it up nice and tight. I shouldn't have any leaks in those areas at all.

20180421_194721 (2).jpg

Next I will be ordering some baffle plates, a mesh charcoal box, and some high heat door gasket. As soon as that gasket arrives, I'll install it then season the BBQ. Then the real fun begins!!:glee:
Better stock up on beer. Lol

81 - 91 of 91 Posts