Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all....I'm new to the forum and also to my VTX! I've had it about 2 months and am having a great time with it. I have been reading about using a auto tire on the rear and was wondering how the cornering differs from a reg cycle tire as the tires are physically kinda different. Thanks in advance.:patriot:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
we arent like the OTHER search forum, anyone around that has time and knowledge is usually glad to answer a person, especially a noob. There is a forum just for guys who use car tires on the back of their bikes, its called the darkside forum. Check it out maybe. and good luck with your new X, great bike!
Bry

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
When I mounted mine (Yokahama Avid Touring S, 205/70-15), the first 200-300 miles or so felt a little different..When rolling into a curve at a decent clip, the back end felt a little wiggly...Kinda like having worn out shock bushings in the rear...But like I said after 200-300 miles it got tighter and tighter...Now it feels as (or more) solid than a motorcycle tire...Now the tire I'm running has a more rounded profile when viewed from the back than some of the others also....That was my main reason for going with that one to beginme with...Saw TigerX's here at my house last spring at the tech day I held here and that sold me...

·
Registered
877 Posts
we arent like the OTHER search forum, anyone around that has time and knowledge is usually glad to answer a person, especially a noob. There is a forum just for guys who use car tires on the back of their bikes, its called the darkside forum. Check it out maybe. and good luck with your new X, great bike!
Bry

Yeah, but knowing the right search term can open up a whole new can of worms... Err, I mean wealth of information.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Thats true, Cevulirn, but the search can be confusing for a noob, it takes a little while to figure out how to use it. I agree with you in principle, but sometimes a person wants that almost person to person response, ya know?

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Welcome to the cafe and Semper Fi Marine. If you didn't pick it up, running a car tire on the rear is called darksiding. A lot of people here do it. I'm on an '06 1300S and run a Douglas 205-65/15. I wasn't sure if I'd like it so I bought a cheap tire from Walmart to try it. Handles great. A couple of noticeable differences are better traction and the wife says it's a smoother ride. I don't even notice it or think about it. The website mentioned is mcdarksiders.com There is a lot of info there about it.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Welcome to the cafe and Semper Fi Marine. If you didn't pick it up, running a car tire on the rear is called darksiding. A lot of people here do it. I'm on an '06 1300S and run a Douglas 205-65/15. I wasn't sure if I'd like it so I bought a cheap tire from Walmart to try it. Handles great. A couple of noticeable differences are better traction and the wife says it's a smoother ride. I don't even notice it or think about it. The website mentioned is mcdarksiders.com There is a lot of info there about it.
I referred old marine to darkside forum. Is mcdarksiders.com another forum for darkside riders?? :coffee:

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Just my 2 cents, Old Marine. There are very few "lukewarm" opinions about running car tires on our bikes. You've been guided to the best site to have your technical questions answered. Click on my sig pic and it'll take you there.

Your specific question was about cornering differences. My cornering experience on a CT has been similar to most; a little "different" than a MC tire, but nothing "bad". Probably has to do with the different profile of the tires. After you get over that "Oh my God...I'm riding on a car tire!!" thought in the back of your mind, it becomes a non-issue and feels normal.

Most of us will mention increased traction in the rain, quicker, straighter stops and of course, dramatically increased tire life. Check out the darksider forum. Good guys, straight answers.

Best to you and welcome to the cafe from the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts