Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to repair a rear tire on my vtx 1300. It has a screw In the middle of the tire. All the shops I have called said I need to buy a new tire. This is a dunlop elite 4 tire with less than 3k on it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes you can repair it. A patch plug is best. You will get all responses from fix it and ride it like you stole it to replace the tire before you die in a firey crash. Getting a ship to do it may be another story as they will not want the liability of doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,086 Posts
I plugged using a cheap autoparts store plug kit and the cheap tools from the kit. It has been working great for three years now without a problem.

Reactions: MosinZealot

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
788 Posts
As everyone has said here that has repaired and rode on theirs, I had good luck with the same. I was stuck in BFE Missouri somewhere between Joplin and idk. Got a flat when I was riding to the gun show down there once upon a time. Had my tire repair kit for more than 3 years before I needed it. That little section of tread that touches the ground had hit something good to perforate the tread. It was a weekend, and no places open to repair it. The guy who's shop parking lot had a truck parked there with a quad on a trailer, said he would trailer it somewhere for me. I said thanks, let me see if I can get plan B to work. And sure enough it did! I rode that thing until the tire really went bald and the seal of the plug wore down so much it wouldn't seal. Still got the kit. And just in case you need more CO2 canisters to put in it, I had to get mine at a bicycle shop. The ones with the standard threads for a tire stem valve that thread on. This link is identical to the one I got. Couldn't tell you how much I paid for it, but it's certainly cheaper than a tire you can fix and keep going on! The shops must just be covering their ass in case something happened or if they repaired it. Plus they'd want the business too. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
I got a flat in my rear Dunlop tire, in Washington State... I plugged it and rode home on it.. in NE OHIO.. no issues.
get the car tire kit at Walmart or other big box store.

shops rarely do plugging on motorcycle tires... Legal issues.
my opinion.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've carried a plug kit on my last 2 bikes, around 55k miles. Haven't used either on my bike. They must work by preventing punctures.

I did use it for a couple cars though.

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
I would suggest for added insurance, maybe before airing it up, squeeze a bottle or so of Ride-On into the stem. Extra sealing on the inside around / over the plug.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
All good suggestions, make sure and keep check of your air pressure for a while before you ride (should anyway but most don’t) there are mushrooming plugs out there I would recommend using those but otherwise you shouldn’t have a problem with a plug good patch inside would be better but much harder and more expensive

·
Registered
602 Posts
I bought that style kit but haven't used it. It's supposedly a better way to plug a tire. I need to try it out before I actually need it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Last time I got tires I put Ride On tire sealant\balance in. Fortunately I haven't had to test it but I also don't have any stick on weights on my rims.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
I carried a plug kit and a small compressor (4"X3") I could connect to my battery tender pig tail behind the left side cover. Never used it and switched to RideOn, after seeing a member come home (used RideOn) with an aluminum gutter spike sticking out of the sidewall on his VTX1800. Another advantage of RideOn is that it balances your tires, no weights needed. It does left a sticky mess inside the tire but washes out with water.
Not really meant to be a sales pitch, just my experiences using a good product. Plug kit works just a well (y)

·
Registered
My other bike is a Turbo Busa
26 Posts
All good suggestions, make sure and keep check of your air pressure for a while before you ride (should anyway but most don’t) there are mushrooming plugs out there I would recommend using those but otherwise you shouldn’t have a problem with a plug good patch inside would be better but much harder and more expensive View attachment 239791
That Comrade hammered green color makes me laugh for some reason , my plastic bag sealer is the same color and at one point I believe all of China, Russia, and Eastern block Countries were covered in this color Paint. I was born in a Comrade hammered hospital looking at that I do believe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts