Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Capo here!

thanks first and foremost for the direction I have gotten so far. I am taking the bike into the shop on Thurs July 29, 2021

so question on tires...

I am thinking Dunlop 404 or the Pirelli RT66

they are both about the same price.

question is, the rear tire is 170/80- 15

I have heard that 180/70-15 "fills out" the rear of the bike a little more and looks better. looks aside, is there any "performance" gains? like ride quality, stickyness, and cornering? or is it so little it doesnt matter or wont be felt in the seats of the pants driving.

and, any huge difference between the Pirelli and the Dunlops? I am just going to be basic cruising, but do like to lean into the corners a little bit! :)

And on last thing! rebuilding front fork seals..... $350 plus parts? I did get a quote of $275 plus parts, but that is 3 weeks out. I live in Northern VA, near Washington DC.

sound about right? anyone on here tackle this job themselves?

thanks!

Capo

able?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have decided on the Pirelli.

110/90-19 is the MT 66 and parts cost is $86

Reason is I can get the 180/70-15 for the rear.....and the Dunlop 404 doesn't offer that size.

Bike is in the shop right meow!

Getting this stuff done ....

Fork seals. Approx $400 includes parts.
Brake flush front and rear. Approx $75 w parts.
Front brakes. Approx $100 w parts.
Front tire. Approx, $115 w parts

$690 or so.....let see what the quote comes in at.

And .....frigggg the guy who put the rear tire on didn't do a 90 degree valve stem. Gonna make me get a rear tire now too! 🤓😂😆🙌🙌🦅🦅🇺🇸🇺🇸🍕🍕🍕🍕

Capo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have decided on the Pirelli.

110/90-19 is the MT 66 and parts cost is $86

Reason is I can get the 180/70-15 for the rear.....and the Dunlop 404 doesn't offer that size.

Bike is in the shop right meow!

Getting this stuff done ....

Fork seals. Approx $400 includes parts.
Brake flush front and rear. Approx $75 w parts.
Front brakes. Approx $100 w parts.
Front tire. Approx, $115 w parts

$690 or so.....let see what the quote comes in at.

And .....frigggg the guy who put the rear tire on didn't do a 90 degree valve stem. Gonna make me get a rear tire now too! 🤓😂😆🙌🙌🦅🦅🇺🇸🇺🇸🍕🍕🍕🍕

Capo
Amazon has that size in Dunlop i use same tire

·
Registered
2007 1300C
705 Posts
Dunlop 404 is a poor choice for a rear tire, unless you ride less than 2,000 miles a year, then you can get 4 yrs out of it. I ride 15-20,000 a yr and would have to change every 7-8K miles.
I will say that it grips pretty good wet or dry, just won't last. For not much more money can get a tire that lasts twice as long.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey fellas!

Updated the thread with some pics!
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system
Jeans Wheel Tire Dog Vehicle
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank
Wheel Tire Car Window Vehicle
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Fuel tank
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle

So I am getting the Pirelli front tire, and will run my rear tire for now.....(which is some no name brand).

Bike is still in the shop, and I will see how it feels when I get it back....

Should feel better when riding because of

New fork seals.
New Pirelli front tire.
New front brakes and brake flush.

Then if it still feels funny, I will match up the back tire to the front (and get an angled tire fill nipple, the one on the rear tire is straight, and it's hard to check tire pressure and fill up the tire with air)

Or.....maybe I need to adjust the back shock settings. How do I do that? Ok....on to the google search!

Hopefully bike will be done by tomorrow wednesday august 4th, 2021.....

Capo

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
The newer Dunny Elite 3 or Elite 4 is a dual compound, much better choice of rubber. Fork seals? Whatever the cost from Honda, it AIN'T any frickin' way NEAR to $600! It can be a DIY, or with help from a friend, or done for free and you learn by doing, at a regional tech session. Although I admit having not seen any in a couple months on here, anywhere.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Then if it still feels funny, I will match up the back tire to the front (and get an angled tire fill nipple, the one on the rear tire is straight, and it's hard to check tire pressure and fill up the tire with air)

Or.....maybe I need to adjust the back shock settings. How do I do that? Ok....on to the google search!

Capo
You mention the shcoks. Check the bushings for wear

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey everyone....

PaxMan11

...the total of Allllll the work should be just under $700. Not just the fork seals. Whew!

The front forks are $288 labor (3 hrs at $96/hr) and parts of fork oil $15 and fork/dust seal wiper kit $30 and fork bushing kit $37

Total front forks -- $370. I'm ok with it, not something I wanted to tackle myself. And a regional tech session, have not heard of that. (Everyone gets together to work on their bikes? )

Crusty.....
Are you speaking of the bushings that mount the shocks to the bike, in the rear of the bike? The top of the shock and the bottom of the shock, the rubber bushings.....hmmmm. yes ! Good call I will have to check those out. Thank you.

And will find out how to 'adjust' the shocks too.

Dunno if the tire came in, will find out later today.

Hopefully this is all done so I can get back on the road! And PaxMan, I am going to install the light you sold me when I get my scooter back from the shop. Thanks for the quick shipping!

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Capo

·
Registered
2007 1300C
705 Posts
Honda Motorcycle 2007 OEM Parts Diagram for Tools | Partzilla.com
Part #4 is needed to turn shock to desired setting. Just hook the tip in hole on shock and turn the appropriate direction
1 is lowest setting, 2 is factory setting, 3 is stiffer and so on
52489-HN0-671 green shock bushings for replacement if needed, not the 1300 OEM bushing

Reactions: CapoVTX1300

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm over 6'0" tall and my bike seems lower, is there a way to just get a bigger Tire to gain an inch? Will that affect the bike in the rear? I know my weight plays a part, I don't want to have to get a new spring, was hoping that I could just get a bigger tire to replace it in the back or lose 30 lbs around my spare tire area of my body. Whatcha think ?

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
I'm over 6'0" tall and my bike seems lower, is there a way to just get a bigger Tire to gain an inch? Will that affect the bike in the rear? I know my weight plays a part, I don't want to have to get a new spring, was hoping that I could just get a bigger tire to replace it in the back or lose 30 lbs around my spare tire area of my body. Whatcha think ?
What size/ brand of tire are you using now? The bike may have shorter than normal (12-1/4" ) shocks, like 10-1/2, or 11-1/2". A bigger tire will give you a bit of height, but it will also change the over-all final ratio, and change your speedometer/ odometer. For example, I have a Darkside (car tire) rear radial General Altimax RT43 205-65-16. It replaced a 180 MC tire. The stock driveline on a Honda is 8 to 10 mph off, to the slower side. If your speedo says 70 you might only be doing 62. The size I currently run trues the speed to 2 mph or less. Rear shocks also normally have 5 adjustment positions, maybe you need to turn them to the stiffer end a click or 2.

Reactions: SCRClubUTAH

·
Registered
2 Posts
What size/ brand of tire are you using now? The bike may have shorter than normal (12-1/4" ) shocks, like 10-1/2, or 11-1/2". A bigger tire will give you a bit of height, but it will also change the over-all final ratio, and change your speedometer/ odometer. For example, I have a Darkside (car tire) rear radial General Altimax RT43 205-65-16. It replaced a 180 MC tire. The stock driveline on a Honda is 8 to 10 mph off, to the slower side. If your speedo says 70 you might only be doing 62. The size I currently run trues the speed to 2 mph or less. Rear shocks also normally have 5 adjustment positions, maybe you need to turn them to the stiffer end a click or 2.
Thank you so much PaXman11, I seriously know nothing about street bikes, I've been a Dirtbiker for 30 years and traded it for the pavement. I enjoy it more. Again, thank you. I will make those adjustments. I know it has a 170/80-15 tire on it Pirelli.

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
Thank you so much PaXman11, I seriously know nothing about street bikes, I've been a Dirtbiker for 30 years and traded it for the pavement. I enjoy it more. Again, thank you. I will make those adjustments. I know it has a 170/80-15 tire on it Pirelli.
Many use a 180, if you can find them.

·
Registered
2001 vt1100 areo. Plus a 2012 xlc 1200
34 Posts
Hello, Capo here!

thanks first and foremost for the direction I have gotten so far. I am taking the bike into the shop on Thurs July 29, 2021

so question on tires...

I am thinking Dunlop 404 or the Pirelli RT66

they are both about the same price.

question is, the rear tire is 170/80- 15

I have heard that 180/70-15 "fills out" the rear of the bike a little more and looks better. looks aside, is there any "performance" gains? like ride quality, stickyness, and cornering? or is it so little it doesnt matter or wont be felt in the seats of the pants driving.

and, any huge difference between the Pirelli and the Dunlops? I am just going to be basic cruising, but do like to lean into the corners a little bit! :)

And on last thing! rebuilding front fork seals..... $350 plus parts? I did get a quote of $275 plus parts, but that is 3 weeks out. I live in Northern VA, near Washington DC.

sound about right? anyone on here tackle this job themselves?

thanks!

Capo

able?
Dunlap are so much better for your bike. Pirelli are mostly for sport bikes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts