Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had 2 VTX 1300s. Both were spoke wheels. I've had Dunlap tires I've had michelin tires. I can't get more than 5,500 miles out of the tires. I ride a lot out west in the heat but surely there is a tire with more milage in it. I run 29 lb of air in the rear and 28 in the front. The front seem to last a little longer. any suggestions out there. I'm going to put another set on before spring. I sure would like a 10,000 mile tire.
Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
you are running about 10 lbs short on air! Most run 40 and 40 or something close to that.

On my 1300 C, I am running Dunlop Elite 4's, had to change the rear out at 19,000 miles but 7,000 of that was pulling a 350# trailer

·
Registered
7,982 Posts
40 and 40 on the air pressure... I have for 15 years on my VTX.

I average 17,000 miles per tire... I run Dunlop Elite 3.. and now Elite 4 on the front.

I have 89,000 miles on my VTX.. I put everyone of them on myself.
here in south TEXAS... speed limit is 75... I do 85 most of the time.... and its over 100 degrees in the summer...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I used to run 41 rear and 36 front but they wear out in the middle so I dropped the pressure hopping for more even ware.1 set were Michelin pilots this set are Dunlap d404. Same wear pattern.
Center wears out on the rear 1st. I changed the 1st set at 2500 miles cause they were some what dry rotted and didn't trust them going out to Colorado. I think I going to try something else this time. Bike is a 2005 reto with spokes. only has 7500 miles on it I think I'm going to try Metyzlers this time.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
A dual compound such as the newer Dunny Elite 4 will bet greatly improved wear with the correct pressures mentioned. Wear is affected by a lot of variables which have been discussed ad infinitum on this site.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Dunlop D404 Rear Tire is at best a 10,000 mile tire, IF you ride like a sissy! Don't know about the Michelin Pilot.

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
Dunlop D404 Rear Tire is at best a 10,000 mile tire, IF you ride like a sissy! Don't know about the Michelin Pilot.
Just for the OP, the Dunlop 404 is more of a stock piece of crap. The Elite 3's and Elite 4's are a huge improvement over the 404.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
7,210 Posts
You'll always get more center wear unless you ride leaned all the time. I liked my metzeler and I like my elite. Mileage on tires doesn't concern me it's like oil just a wear item. Just need something that runs good in rain. So far I've not been disappointed with either brand.

·
Registered
16,051 Posts
Michelin Commander II 's are good tires too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have the best luck with the metzler 888 or the order version 880. I tried the commander II tire and it was awful in the rain or loose gravel. It was so bad I replaced it before I needed to which is saying something since I am a cheap SOB. That tire would fishtail taking off in the rain. The Dunlop’s 404 seemed to cup and cause a head shake. For me the metzler gets about 10K at 40 psi.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
My bike had Metzlers on it 80,000 miles ago when I bought it, and I stuck with it, not knowing any better.
Until this fall, when my mechanic suggested I switch to Avon Cobra.What a difference in handling, I immediately noticed how much easier it is to get the bike into a turn and keep it there. It's Avon for me from now on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like the elite 3. I ride in the Pacific Northwest, lots of rain, and these stick really well on wet pavement eve when the roads are not so great. Just put about 100 miles in steady rain on these. They are at 80% with about 4,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
10,097 Posts
I've had 2 VTX 1300s. Both were spoke wheels. I've had Dunlap tires I've had michelin tires. I can't get more than 5,500 miles out of the tires. I ride a lot out west in the heat but surely there is a tire with more milage in it. I run 29 lb of air in the rear and 28 in the front. The front seem to last a little longer. any suggestions out there. I'm going to put another set on before spring. I sure would like a 10,000 mile tire.
Thanks
  • I weigh 300 pounds and inflate front tire to 38 PSIA and rear to 39 PSIA rear and run my VTX 1300 C mostly 60-70 MPH. I use "Ride-on" sealant/balancer to balance tires, use to use Dyna-Beads. I keep my pressure maintained and getting approximately 22k on front and 16-17k on rear. Most of riding with ambient temperature of 90-95 °F and conservative rider, negative rabbit starts and etc.🇺🇸🇺🇸

·
Registered
620 Posts
The orginal Dunlops lasted about 7k if I remember. Replaced with dunlop again and got maybe 8k. Put on metzlers and only got 9k. Now running shinkos 777s. Hopefully get more than 10k out of a set

1 - 15 of 15 Posts