Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How brave am I ?? Well not very when it comes to the possibility of screwing up the bikes.

In two weeks or maybe a little less I am gonna have 2 sets of Hard Lowers from John at www.JTDcycleparts.com. A set for the Shadow 750 and one set for the "X".

They both will have to be painted. It will be a VERY COMPLICATED paint job. Black.

So begs the question and the dilemma. Do I attempt this myself or do I outsource this to a professional ?

It seems if I am ever gonna jump in and try something like this this would be a good opportunity because it shouldn't be too big a deal to have them redone if I mess it up. Still I would hate to waste the time and the money that would be spent on the paint. ( I am a REAL TIGHTWAD and MISER )

I have done rattle can painting before but not on a project that really requires the fine and smooth finish I would want on the new Lowers. Is this something attainable by a project klutz who has not done any fine finish painting work ? Is it something I should even think about trying ?

I will need to check again but I think the paint codes for the black on both bikes is the same.

The lowers are ABS plastic.

H E L P --- So the steps would be:

• buy paint / Clear Coat - Duh !! OK this is a given but put it in the prep list.
  • Prepare painting area - how "clean room" does this have to be ?
  • light sanding prep ??
  • paint - how many coats ??
  • clear coat - is this necessary or advantageous ??

Opinions and proper procedure sought from yuse gize who have done your own ...

Thanks in advance.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all ...

1st •> :choppersm2nd •> •> :choppersm3rd •> •> •>:choppersm4th •> •> •> •> :choppersm Gone •> •> •> •> •> _____ :choppersm​

1800 Mods / Accessories​
•• National Cycle Switchblade 2up Windshield, National Cycle Switchblade Chrome Lowers •• Clocks4bikes Clock-Thermometer •• Big Bike Parts/Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Paladin Highway bar •• Cobra Luggage Rack, Sissy bar & Tribal Insert, Drive Shaft Cover •• Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen SaddleStow Sissy Bar Deluxe Bag •• Willie & Max Windshield bag •• VTXExhaust.com 12" Short •• VTX Master Cylinder covers •• WhyPush "X" Air Box, K&N Filter •• Cycle House side covers •• Biglry & Bones Fuel Management •• Coyote Gas Cap hinge •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss, SwingWing Foot Pegs, Dually offset pegs, License Plate Mount for VX 1800C, License Plate frame, Texas Inspection Sticker plate •• Hondaline Chrome Light Bar for 1800C •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator/eCaddy Accessory Mount •• Cardo Intercom Scala Q2 & G4 •• iPod •• Avon Cobra 200 -130 tires & Dyna Beads •• Tsukayu Strong bags/EasyBrackets •• Ultimate Bigboy driver seat with backrest and passenger seat •• Rivco Tachometer for 1800 C, Rivco 6" risers, Rivco Passenger boards/forward adaptors •• Big Bike Parts Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• Gremlin Bell •• Signal Minder ••* Xena XX14 Motorcycle Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Tweaked Scotrod Tool Bag mod, Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn, Progressive shocks….

750 Mods / Accessories​
Memphis Shades Fats 21” Gradient Black Windshield • Memphis Shades Quick Release Mounting Kit • Memphis Shades Lowers-Black / Mounting Kit •• Cobra Light Bar • Freeway Bar • Sissy bar • Plain Insert • Luggage Rack • Honda OEM Driver Foot Pegs VTX 1800C3 model •• Lazy Rider Small Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen Cruiser Large Tool Bag • Shock Cutaway Saddlebags •• Vance and Hines Cruzer Dual Exhaust •• WhyPush “Tribal Flame” Air Box / K&N Filter •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips • Kuryakyn Throttle Boss •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Avon Venom 180 - 90/90 tires •• Robert Doerr Custom Seat Mod with graphic •• ButtyBuddy auxillary seat •• Clocks4bikes Clock • Clocks4bikes Thermometer •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator •• Phat Riser III for 750 Spirit •• Big Bike Parts Drive Shaft Cover • Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim • Kisan Signal Minder • Kuryakyn Carburetor Jet Kit •• Evoline Wayer Helmet •• Cardo Intercom Scala G4 Powerset-Q2 Multiset • Gremlin Bell • ToolKit • Xena XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn….

:patriot:..........• Blessed to have been born in Texas •..........:patriot:
• Blessed to have been raised in Texas •
• Blessed to Live in Texas •
• If things continue as they are going - Hopefully I will be Blessed to see Texas as a Sovereign Nation again before I pass •
• Blessed I will be buried in Texas •

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Bassdude might be able to give you some insight on this.. He recently painted his bike, and may have some tips and tricks for ya..

Me, personally? I suck at painting!! :D

-Gonz

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
new abs plastic requires much more prep than metal or fiberglass. the releasing agents they use in the molding process causes the paint not to stick very well. the releasing agents are "embedded" into the material as well...so just sanding wont work. the paint will soon flake and peel. it is best to use an adhesive promoter prior to painting, but you can also prep by using alot of soap and water...then sand with 300 grit sandpaper and clean with a tack cloth. if you do it this way though, for best results...after youre done cleaning it spray some water on the plastic. if it beads up, repeat the cleaning and sanding process until the water no longer beads before spraying your primer. then paint...

good luck!

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
I am definitely a DIY kind of guy, but that said... with what is involved and the cost of the materials, I would take it to a pro. Look at it this way, if you screw it up not only are you out the cost of the materials, but if you then take it to a painter they will probably charge you more because they will have to take it back down to the original ABS.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
At one time, I was considering putting some new parts in my 1911 pistol, and knew minor gunsmith work would be necessary. I figured I could handle it, but still asked (like you are) and the more input I got, the more I realized there are professionals that can do a far better job than I can, and there is a reason they are in business...

Take it to a real pro, so if it gets screwed up, you & your wife can scream at the pro, instead of you kicking yourself if it does get screwed up.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Autoparts stores sell a paint to plastic adhesive. It's good but not cheap. Like 30 bucks a can. If u mess it up you can always take the paint off with aircraft Remover just make sure you let the paint cure for a week before removal and don't it sit more than 10 minutes or you'll warp the plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts