Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I am again seeking the wisdom of my fellow big V brethren. My (short) experience with the F model has been both exciting and disappointing. The power output of this 800lb brute is just amazing but I bought mine used with a gremlin that I have no money to fix correctly. After the "stealer" installed new fork seals that leaked worse than ever, the recommendation was new fork tubes. I opted to purchase a set of "leak proof" seals as a last attempt to fix the problem (which has yet to be done but I'm not mentioning it to Honda since their slow approach allows me to store the bike). I doubt different seals will make a difference but even if they do, I'm wondering if I should try to get my $5000 back from the bike and go with something thats more "all-weather" (like an old pick-up truck). Owning a bike is not for the guy on a budget. I just bought a set of new (take-off) V Max Bridgestone tires (not installed yet) and I'm already dreading for tires to be a regular 4K mi routine. If I could invest in the bike and properly maintain it, I would keep it but selling it looks like the better option. So based on the feedback I get on whether I can expect a big loss, I'll keep or sell the F.

Problems:
Tank has 50 cent size dent (from kneecap?) on the side.
Fork seals leak.

Positives:
New V Max Bridgestones included
4.5K mi total in bike

Can I get my $5K back on this 05' bike? Are my chances better in the spring?

Your opinions is appreciated. I know many would encourage me to keep the bike but I just have no $$$ for tools, parts and even taxes/ insurance have me over budgeted.

Thanks....Tom

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
well It's going to be just like anything else, you will probably eventually be able to get your asking price, it really just depends on how quick you wanna sell it..Now depending on how serious the issues with it are depends alot on what you will be able to get back out of it, there are bikes listed every day for 5k that need nothing and lot's of add on's....Hell Stump just bought an 1800 R that looks absolutely great for 2500!!!!..I say if it's not a Must sell situation hold on to it until times get better for you, or are able to fix it and then sell...JMO

Good Luck :cheers:

·
X Virgin
5,222 Posts
I wanna see Stump's 1800R that he got for 2500! Did it come with both tires and under 200,000 miles???

To the OP, you'd be hard pressed to find 5K for most bikes this time of year. It would have to be in great shape and sell to someone who could still sell this time of year.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
I wanna see Stump's 1800R that he got for 2500! Did it come with both tires and under 200,000 miles???

To the OP, you'd be hard pressed to find 5K for most bikes this time of year. It would have to be in great shape and sell to someone who could still sell this time of year.

Well here is a link to the thread that someone else posted about it, i seen it the night before searching CL...and everyone was afraid of it, thought it was a scam..Stump called and he is now the new owner....03 right at 20k miles...Deal, (Steal?) on craigs list - Honda VTX forums for Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'd insist that the dealer do the job correctly, at 4500 miles, there is no way that you need new fork tubes, unless the bike was in an accident..
IMHO, the dealer didn't do the fork seals correctly, and are trying to use the fork tubes as an excuse to cover their botched job.

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Maybe talk some local Xers into a BBQ / Fall tech session. :) I don't think it's rocket science.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the tone of your post, but it sounds as though you are feeling pretty discouraged about the whole mess. IMHO, don't make a decision yet. Even if you store it for the winter, everything is less difficult when it's warm. Who knows? Maybe your finances will improve over the next few months. You had good reasons for buying it in the first place. Those haven't changed. Take your time and don't make any hasty decisions. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Great thougts tomkat100 and agree with you 100%. Wishing all a nice day.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm on a 1300 but the X's are great bikes!! Your purchase although seeming like a possible money drain is not. Small dents can be overlooked/filled or sometimes even removed. Tires should be the least of your worries. Make the dealership stand behind it's work. Contact dept. managers if necessary and run the problem up to the next higher level as needed. Once your able to ride a bit, you'll see it's a great bike. As someone suggessted, either try and hold a make it to a tech session.
If you decide to sell, the spring would be a better time to try and recoupe your money.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
I would make the dealer stand behind their work
Exactly. They did not fix what you brought it in for, and if it is damaged by something they did not disclose, and they are jacking you around like that, I would make an attempt to get it taken care of. If not, I am pretty sure there are folks in the local riders groups who can help you. We had an Xile here in MD, with a 2003 and a LOT of miles, who had a fork leak. We had a garage day, and a few experienced guys took the whole front end apart, and reassembled in a couple hours time. It was beyond my skills, but there are plenty who are adept as a pro, and are willing to work for food and beer.:beer:

PS_Once you get the bike fixed, you'll find other than jonesin' for chrome, the VTX is a pretty cheap to keep bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks to all and I think everyone hit on some basic facts that will factor my future. I have never been able to (physically) see the shop manager (never in?!?) but left a "stern" email stating the problem was worse after their tech replaced the seals. Right now I'm using their slow work ethics to my advantage. It's currently 15 degrees in N. Kentucky so the bike is better off "stagnating" in their garage. Honda storage fee's are $75 a month (I think) so I won't show up again till March (unless they contact me sooner). I gave them a set of LEAK-PROOF seals and agreed to pay for additional fluid but atleast they agreed to re-do the job (free labor). Spring would be my best option for selling but even though it's a great bike, the economy's gonna dictate (buyers market).

I had a woman once much like my 1800F. She was awesome to ride (and beautiful) but previous treatment caused her issues to be my issues!

One of my local small towns has an ice cream shop (and cross street bar) that attracts big-n-purty Harley's from nearby Ohio. For kicks I would shine up the F and park in clear view of the visiting bikers. I would stash my riding gear and sit on a nearby bench, slurpin' on a shake and wait for the Harley guys to (purposely) do a "walk-by" for a closer look.
Damn.....I would miss doing that!

I was shown some (extremely minor) specks on the forks (5-7) and told that could be the cause. Maybe they're right but if you seen these "specs" it may make you doubt that they're the problem.

So, here's the plan: Eventually they'll install the fork seals and I'll pray they'll do as advertised. If I do have to go the way of a new fork replacement (and I have the $$$), I'll make the drive to another shop with a better reputation. Until then, should someone walk up with a cash offer (or equal value trade) I'll consider givin' her up (like I did with my former girlfriend haha!).

I'm "gunshy" with the whole inverted fork set-up now. I think I would avoid any future bikes with the I-forks.

It's cold outside and Spring is months away so I'll just keep sippin' spiked eggnog and ponder on it. I didn't buy the bike for re-sell and rarely does anyone re-coup their investment. She was suppose to be my "hot-rod/ attention gitter" that gets me to school in a cool/ economical way.

It would be a damn shame not to get to ride those new Bridgestones I bought.

Tom

·
Registered
368 Posts
NO NO NO, dont use Leak Proof seals!!!! They are guaranteed to leak!!!
Those are the worst seals I have ever seen in my career!!!
I have yet to ever install a set of Leak Proof that didnt leak, and I have installed many many many Honda seals that did not leak, on bikes that the Leak Proof seals did leak.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have yet to ever install a set of Leak Proof that didnt leak, and I have installed many many many Honda seals that did not leak, on bikes that the Leak Proof seals did leak.

+1 on this. Leak Proof do nothing but leak. Always use the factory fork seals. A few little divots in the fork tube shouldn't be a problem as long as they are smooth. If they have any little sharp edges, then they will trash a new seal immediately. You can take some very fine grit wet sanding paper/cloth ( in the thousands), and smooth out any sharp edges without damaging the fork tube

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
This is true, and was true when i was a factory trained honda tech also...
stick with the honda oem seals, buy some from another dealer, ask for your leakproof seals back and toss them away. It will save u money in the long run. good luck, Bry :cheers:

·
F rider
720 Posts
Palehorse, you said it has a small dent in the tank, and some small divets in the forks, have you checked the title to see if the bikes been wrecked, and if it has, did the dealer you bought it from tell you that it had been wrecked? Just something you might wanna look into.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again folks.

The history on this bike is that it was a "test" model for the Marysville Ohio plant. I'm sure that the bike had never been registered to no one except Honda Corp. I have no idea what a test bike endures but the local Honda shop states that it would have been ran vigorously (but maintained) for parts/ accessories durability. I had the impression that the small divots in the fork tub were from (possibly) high speed formation riding and perhaps the lead bike threw dust or other particles into the forks. There are shields to prvent this but whatever caused these "specs" had no edges that I could feel.

So here's an update...
The (crappy) seals were tried and failed (with a name like LEAKPROOF!!!). I could see that an emory cloth or similiar material had been used on the tubes. My Honda shop waivered any cost I was expecting to pay and I'm (almost) believing that an honest attempt was made to fix the problem.

I'm "chewing" on the option of getting a 2nd opinion from another shop or to bite the bullet for fork tubes. It's strange that Honda wants $430 ea while cheapcycle parts wants $330 ea.

My wife has been nice enough to allow me to spend a thousand dollars (if needed) to fix this problem.

I could raise hell with the shop but since the bike is being stored there for free, I'm biting my tongue for now. The investment into the repair (at this point) is less than a storage fee so in those terms....we're even.

I'll deal with this again after the new year. Perhaps the bike was set in front of a wall or other solid object and the rear tire was smoked by the testers (making the forks warp). I just don't know why she won't seal correctly but my big fear is investing in new tubes and still have a problem.

I've had offers for trade but the vehicles were "beat to death" and rolling junk.

It's a mean machine and I'm forced to get this thing fixed correctly.

BTW, I considered re-chroming and milling the tubes but the only shop I found is in England. By the time the Brits add 25% tax, it's cheaper to buy new ones.

To be continued.......Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make them do it right

I would make the dealer stand behind their work
I had a left front seal go out a week after the warrenty. It was a $18.00 part and a $150.00 repair. I check my lower forks after each ride. The shield is kinda small and bugs get by it sometimes, when they harden it can make a seal leak. If you have any big bike it's going to take some money to matain it. You can cut down on most expense doing most thing yourself. If you can't aford it sell your bike to someone who can. :hmm2:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been testing the "waters" for a buyer but I live in a rural area and the bike is not appreciated (not like tractors, ATV's and trucks). It's the wrong time of year for selling a bike but I'm already getting indications that I can expect (maybe) half of my money returned (guys with an interest wanted to trade "beater" vehicles). This would not be the first time I've bought something that's (apparently) not valued what I paid for it (again, the area is a big factor).

I can fix it, give someone a helluva deal at my expense or park it in the yard as "stationary art".

I'm gonna pay the (extremely overpriced) $430ea tubes and install them. Perhaps this experience is not typical of a Honda product but the damage has been done. The 1800 better last a long time cause I'll never buy another Honda (or Dodge but thats another "money bucket" saga).

A bad experience is enough to teach me to try another brand.

It's not that I can't afford a motorcycle, I can't afford to get my wallet RAPED because the maker (and its american dealerships) wanna charge $430 for a friggin' pipe!

After college I may trade in for a Triumph or BMW. Buying a used (anything) is a risk. When it comes to transportation, I'll save my pennies and buy new next time.

·
F rider
720 Posts
I've been testing the "waters" for a buyer but I live in a rural area and the bike is not appreciated (not like tractors, ATV's and trucks). It's the wrong time of year for selling a bike but I'm already getting indications that I can expect (maybe) half of my money returned (guys with an interest wanted to trade "beater" vehicles). This would not be the first time I've bought something that's (apparently) not valued what I paid for it (again, the area is a big factor).

I can fix it, give someone a helluva deal at my expense or park it in the yard as "stationary art".

I'm gonna pay the (extremely overpriced) $430ea tubes and install them. Perhaps this experience is not typical of a Honda product but the damage has been done. The 1800 better last a long time cause I'll never buy another Honda (or Dodge but thats another "money bucket" saga).

A bad experience is enough to teach me to try another brand.

It's not that I can't afford a motorcycle, I can't afford to get my wallet RAPED because the maker (and its american dealerships) wanna charge $430 for a friggin' pipe!

After college I may trade in for a Triumph or BMW. Buying a used (anything) is a risk. When it comes to transportation, I'll save my pennies and buy new next time.
I agree 100% on a dodge being a pod. I had a brand new RAM in 2003, with that awesome HEMI motor. Well, it was awesome when it actually ran! As for as getting ripped on parts at the dealership, I got news for ya, it don't matter what brand you got, they all gonna have outrageous mark ups on the parts.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts