Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start off by saying that I own a 2006 VTX 1800c. I have had the bike a little over two months now and have already put over 2k miles on it. Love the bike, love the power, love the ride. Next, this is my second bike. I started riding last August, with a shadow 750. Big difference between the two. Anyways, I never rode with my windshield on, with my 750. Always seemed to bog the bike down. Not as much power, to me. So I got used to riding without one. I have tried to ride with a shield on my 1800, and can't seem to get a good feeling while riding. It may all be in my head, but seems like the bike doesn't have as much acceleration or that the wind resistance is bogging it down. Am, I crazy feeling like this. I want to ride with a shield, especially night riding, bugs etc, but can't bring myself to put it back on. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
I never notice it - any bog - it bolts to 90 with no effort any time. This is with full size Honda shield. Put on the second season.

Try a smaller profile sportier type maybe - or modify one.

One can use smaller one to just remove the parachute effect off the body ( shoulders on down )- so cruising high speed all day is not as tiring.
Then Modular for full face protection.

I know all too well of being beat to death at night in the face with june bugs down the highway.
When I finally got to the cabin - friends took shot of bloody face of impacts. The first time w/o my helmet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a full face helmet that I ride with, so the bugs to the face is not a problem. Another problem I encounter which may still be in my head is the top of the shield is just in my line of view. Kinda annoying lol, but ya I need to look into a shorter shield I guess. Thanks

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
I have a full face helmet that I ride with, so the bugs to the face is not a problem. Another problem I encounter which may still be in my head is the top of the shield is just in my line of view. Kinda annoying lol, but ya I need to look into a shorter shield I guess. Thanks
Where it can get really ugly if too high a shield - in rain.
Now looking through both plexiglass shields is basically blind at night with oncoming headlights in next lane.

·
Registered
6,396 Posts
I've tried it both ways, on and off. I prefer to let the windshield absorb the wind, bugs, road debris, flying burritos, (ok that didn't happen) but you get the point. Just more comfortable for me, especially on a longer ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have a Memphis Shades windshield. It sits about 2-3 inches below my line of vision. When riding, when I put my hand up over my head you can feel the big difference in wind velocity. I don't feel there is any real problem slowing the bike down. Have tons of power to pass or whatever IMHO. When I get back from a ride and there are only a few places not covered in bugs, I am glad I have one.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Its really about drag. YES a shield increases drag a LOT. It is like trying to run down the street holding a piece of plywood straight up in the air.

Now that being said, I love my shield and really dont go without it very often. But I can really tell a difference in my 1300 with the shield off vs on.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
You may want to focus on your riding posture ... you should be sitting on your upper - thigh and cheek meat as opposed to tail bone and lower back ... I know the "pulled back" and footrest posture looks "kool" ... but you'll pay for it in riding years and miles ...

Shoulders should be over hips with relaxed arms and firm but relaxed grip ... there's plenty of posts and links about riding posture ... Just ride ...

... and you've got to be comfortabley able to see the hiway a few yards ahead of your front fender above the shield ...

That being said ... I wouldn't ride with or without a shield without a quality pair of eye protection ... not just 'stylish' but actually functional ... that means goggles ...

The VTX has more than enough 'power and torque' with or without a shield for any recreational rider ...

It's going to feel and sound differently with a shield ... and you may miss a mile or two on your mpg but nothing more substantial than a flick of the wrist ...

A shield is 'pricey' for most wage earning bikers and there's more than enough benefits to compensate for any negatives ...

Mine is off most of the time but always on for any ride longer than a hundred miles or a few hours or after sunset ... MOL

best of luck ...

because ...

opinions vary ...

all blessings ...

crew

·
Registered
10 Posts
If one is riding so fast that wind resistance is an issue , you are probably riding too fast to enjoy the scenery and smell the roses

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
You should have less drag with the windshield.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,254 Posts
If one is riding so fast that wind resistance is an issue , you are probably riding too fast to enjoy the scenery and smell the roses
I live next door to Cedar Rapids, Iowa... it does NOT smell like roses.

:biggrin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts