Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have rode around on a suzuki 250 for years and it is time for on upgrade. I really want to get a bad a** bike and I like what i have heard about the VTX 1800. NOW FOR THE BIG? (I am 5'5" 185 pounds) Am i to short to handle this bike well?

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe! :cheers:

Too short to "handle" it? I'm not sure what you mean. Are you "strong"? The bike practically drives itself when it's moving just like any other bike. The only time you ever really notice the weight is pushing it around, backing up or throwing it around in a parking lot. It doesn't weigh that much more than a 1300 does. The 1300 sits lower than the 1800, but with either bike you would need to lower yourself. I would plan on at least modifying the seat and buying shorter shocks if you do go this route.

Good luck with the decision. :cheers:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I mean reaching ground. Reaching pegs and other controls you know all that good stuff that us short people have to think about be for diving into somthing. As far as the weight of the bike that does not scare me i think i have enough strengh i just dont know about length. Thanks for all the help

·
9,160 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Sebring, Florida. :icon_wave

There are numerous mods you can make to fit the bike to you, some of which Beefy has said. Do a search (button at the top of the page) and you will find a ton of information about it. :choppersm

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I am about 5'5" and ride a 1300 with just a riser mod (to bring the bars back). The 1800 wouldn't intimidate me based on my height. Have you even sat on one yet to see how it feels? If you make a few mods, you should be fine. Getting use to handling a heavier bike with extra power will probably be your biggest challenges, but not difficult.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
I am 5'5" also and I ride an 1800 , had a 1300 before...I have had no modifications as far as anything to lower the bike, I did however have my seat rebuilt and had him move me closer by 2"...but as far as reaching the controls, and being able to touch the ground...I am fine with all that, no problem at all.....I suggest going to a dealer and sitting on both the 1800 & 1300 and see what you feel more comfortable on.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think you will be fine, But just for a laugh you could take a page from some of the harley riders I've seen more than a few wearing boots that take them from 5.0 to 5.6 in no time. You'll find all the mods you need from the great members around here, for sure

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I'm 5'6. I purchased my bike with the Ultimate X seat, which does not appear to be lower than the stock seat. My heels touch the ground and so should yours. The only time my height is an issue is when I'm backing up on an incline, it feels like I could use a little less height when I'm doing that. I was thinking about getting a set of those Arnott shocks but you can just get off of the bike and push it off the incline.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
I ride a 1300R and I am tall but I like to sit low, for kicks and grins one day I compared the seat height on my X to my wifes Shadow 600, and also on the 86 Rebel 450. all 3 were the same height within about an inch of each other. as for the 1800, I couldn't tell you, but my 1300R sits low, I don't know if it had any mods done, it all looks factory, but it was 5 years old when I got it.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I gotta say something about lowering bikes. I have on many occasions scraped the pegs on turns. Its kinda cool going around curves like that but it seems to me that after lowering you my find yourself scraping pipes or something. Its already a very low bike. Some bikes are high, this one is not. Do you really want to change it?

Hey, just an opinion.

·
X Virgin
5,234 Posts
As much as the height/weight issues (bike and rider :icon_chuc), I urge new riders to consider the overall size. A jump up from a 250 to an 1800 is a huge leap, regardless of how many years riding.

Remember when a 750 was a huge bike and a KZ1000 was a monster only seen in Mad Max movies?

I'm 6' and 220 and the 1300 has tons of scoot 1 or 2 up. That said, the low centre of gravity and correct maintenance/tire pressure make it a joy to ride.

·
Local Hillbilly Lawyer
131 Posts
The "short" answer is YES you can handle the bike, bottom line, as long as you can ride. Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!!!!! Have fun! Be safe!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Just be aware, The 1800 is heavy and although it is great to ride alone, I find it alot more challenging with a passenger, especially one close to around your same weight. I am 5'9" and 180 and pretty strong and you need to get used to this bike for sure. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
As much as the height/weight issues (bike and rider :icon_chuc), I urge new riders to consider the overall size. A jump up from a 250 to an 1800 is a huge leap, regardless of how many years riding.

Remember when a 750 was a huge bike and a KZ1000 was a monster only seen in Mad Max movies?

I'm 6' and 220 and the 1300 has tons of scoot 1 or 2 up. That said, the low centre of gravity and correct maintenance/tire pressure make it a joy to ride.
I went from a 500cc bike to the 1800. Some folks told me that was too big a jump but I figured why waste time and money with bikes you don't want to work your way up to the bike you want??? You can learn to ride it now or you can learn to ride it later. I'm not going to kid you, I am still a little apprehensive on tight turns but I found that you CAN trust this bike! The power comes gradually so it is not like all that power is going to come at you as soon as you hit the throttle. I have had the bike for a few months and I am glad I went straight for the bike I wanted.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Like others have said...I would get to a local shop or try a friends bike to see which suits you best. I upgraded my seat from stock to a Mustang and found myself further forward and lower on the bike. Plus the sides of the seat are narrower than stock giving me more room to put my feet down. I am 5'11'' so this is not really a problem to begin with but this is what i noticed with the upgrade. I would do seat and Risers/bars before I did anything with "lowering" the bike.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I'm 5'3 or 5'4. I weigh about 180 pounds. I went from a rebel 250 to an '06 1300S. No problems. The only thing I had to do was get risers or new bars for more pull back. After that, no problem. Several people have told me I'm to short for my 1300 but I can stand flat footed while stradling the bike. I thought about lowering for looks but I frequently drag my floorboards and have scraped my pipes once (HardKrome K2's drop below floorboards before coming back up). I can't see you being to short. In fact, my daughter can stand the bike up and hold it no problems and she's only 5 foot even but again, I'm on a 1300.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts