Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the bearings replaced and back together, I don't have a socket to torque it back. I can tighten it with chanellocks, how would I know when I'm at 15 ft lbs.

What socket fits it?

How important is the pull test and how is it done?

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
OK - I have done a few of these over the years. The key is to set the bearings. Take the channel locks and tighten it down snug (not real tight). Rotate the trees from lock to lock about 10 times. Tighten it down real snug. Do the rotate thing again. If it keeps loosening up when you rotate - repeat until it doesn't. Then just tighten snug. There should be a bit of drag, but not much. Button it up. A little snug is better than loose. 15 ft lbs is not real tight. The key is to set and remove all the play in the bearings. The pull test is done with a spring scale and is not all that important. If you fiddle with it a bit you will get a feel for too tight and too loose. Just a tiny amount of drag is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The bearing grease has to be squished out of the race so that the bearilngs contact the race. Just adjust till you beel the bump as oldfool mentioned.Take some time between checks of about two or three minutes until you are no longer able to get the nut to turn when you test it. Let it sit over night then do a final tweak. go for a ride (this puts more pressure on the head) and recheck when you get back. I posted a pic of a tool I adapted from an adjustable spanner wrench used to adjust collares on plastic plumbing pipe. The 15 lbs is for stock bearings as is the tension check, all balls tapered rollers may be different. The main thing is smooth operation with minimum end play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts