Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to start working on my own bike soon. Have an extensive tool collection but no torque wrench. ANy suggestions for brand, style, model, etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have an old Craftsman Microtork Torque Wrench ½’ Drv, I like it because it brakes and clicks when torque setting is reached.

Also have a Kobalt 3/8" Drive Micro-Dial Torque Wrench for tighter working environments with metric sockets.

Both have full replacement warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I have a pair I bought from harbor freight with one of their sale flyers. Larger one for $30 and smaller one for $20.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I also use microdials, a 3/8" and a 1/2" are almost mandatory for work on cars and bikes. I bought one from Auto Value the other from Home depot. I still need a 1/4" inch lb for the smaller jobs where size is an issue. Read up on how extension and universal joints can change the torque values for you.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I have 2 upper and lower tool boxes here(17 drawers total) and no place for wrenches and other tools. Here's where I keep the wrenches and notiice the screwdrives in the workbench, pliers live there to, I drilled holes in 1/4 of the bench.

Some screws hold as many as 5 wrenches the same size on them.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
I have 2 upper and lower tool boxes here(17 drawers total) and no place for wrenches and other tools. Here's where I keep the wrenches and notiice the screwdrives in the workbench, pliers live there to, I drilled holes in 1/4 of the bench.

Some screws hold as many as 5 wrenches the same size on them.
Great...now I know way Sears always has the tools I need on backorder...So, are these tools in Florida or Michigan?...:hmm2::D

My bike might develop a "slight" rattle after my visit...:bleh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought my first VTX. 1300, 2006R. Seems to have a little shimmy in the steering.
3500 miles. Any thoughts out here. It is not so noticeable over 40 mph.

·
Registered
4,323 Posts

·
243 Posts
Want to start working on my own bike soon. Have an extensive tool collection but no torque wrench. ANy suggestions for brand, style, model, etc? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Do NOT by any junk tools like Harbor Freight, Craftsman, etc. If you don't buy a professional grade tool, just keep tightening it by hand, either way you'll get the same result. Ditto owning a quality tool and never having it calibrated..

Brand name? Matco, Snap-On, Mac, Williams, etc.....

A click type tool is not advisable.... unless you just can't see the reading...

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
If you don't buy a professional grade tool, just keep tightening it by hand....
Most ridiculous sentence I've read on this forum, ever....:icon_blah

Yeah by all means, go spend $10-$20 for every wrench in the tool box...:rolleyes:

I know for a fact that my "cheap" tools (by your standards) are better than tightening by hand....By your statement, my bike should've fallen totally apart on the road by now...But it hasn't....:cool:

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
I use snap on torque wrenches, yes you do get what you pay for keep in mind ALL torque wrenches worth a damn need calibrated yealry depending on use. dropping them one time can be enough to knock them out of calibration. the old swing needle torque wrenches are not very accurate regardless of what anyone says. this comes from being a helicopter mechanic for the last 24 years and working on precision equipment that long. anyway everyone has opinions and (well you guessed what goes here). in the end it boils down to getting what you are comfortable with not everyoen wants to spend 350$ up on torque wrenches...

Do NOT by any junk tools like Harbor Freight, Craftsman, etc. If you don't buy a professional grade tool, just keep tightening it by hand, either way you'll get the same result. Ditto owning a quality tool and never having it calibrated..

Brand name? Matco, Snap-On, Mac, Williams, etc.....

A click type tool is not advisable.... unless you just can't see the reading...
thats kinda funny all my work tools are snap on I have worked in several countries where they wont let you bring in craftsman tools (middle east guess craftsman is associated with jewish somthing or other dont really care myself) but at home all my wrenches and sockets are stanley ( by the way they own MAC tools) only a few types of tools I get persnikity about. obviously torque wrenches being one of them. most people get what they can afford and call it good

·
243 Posts
Most ridiculous sentence I've read on this forum, ever....:icon_blah

Yeah by all means, go spend $10-$20 for every wrench in the tool box...:rolleyes:

I know for a fact that my "cheap" tools (by your standards) are better than tightening by hand....By your statement, my bike should've fallen totally apart on the road by now...But it hasn't....:cool:
OK.... let's not get so ridiculously literal.... :spank:....the topic was TORQUE WRENCHES and that is what I was referring to, not a solid tool. I have tons of Craftsman Wrenches and Sockets, since they have a lifetime warranty. I feel like Sears and Danaher are going to be around to honor that warranty, too.

Having owned a junk torque wrench or two... and I stand by my statement as I meant it: only a quality torque wrench that is in calibration is worth owning and using.... to use a junk wrench is to just fool yourself that you are stretching the bolt or stud the exact amount necessary.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
Most of us would agree that going with pro tools is preferable. I don't use some of my tools often enough to justify the expense. If I start investing heavy amounts of money into tools and their maintenance, I'd be better off having a shop do the work for me. Most of the time, good enough is all I need even if the precision may be off by a bit. If a tool gets used often, then it might be time to upgrade to a higher quality tool. Otherwise el-cheapo brand works for me.

·
That Just Happened!
2,934 Posts
I am all about doing things your selves. I would love a great torque wrench but can't afford that and the other tools/maintenance. I am stuck for now using the good old hand torque. Squeeze squeeze squeezeeeeee and pray!

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
go to wholesale used tool places witchita kansas has a bunch of them they sell surplus from cessna boeing ect great deals to be had!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lots of great advice. If I was to find a used Mac/Snap on/ Matco, etc torque wrench, where would I get it calibrated. I found a local pawn shop that has a pretty good selection of wrenches from these manufacturers.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts