Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at possibly getting trailer for the X. The only time its been on a trailer was the trip home when I bought it. That trailer belonged to a friend who is no longer a friend. I used the "search option" on the Cafe but didnt find the answer I was looking for. But while doing research, options, Ebay/Craigslist, open or enclosed. I found a Dolly system...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Trailer-Hauler-Hitch-Cargo-Enclosed-Cargo-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dLVIQ26ituQ3dUCIQ26otnQ3d5Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d63Q26clkidQ3d457898163744469702QQ_trksidZp5197Q2em7QQitemZ320709116335

(I hope the link works, its item number 320709116335 )

I have never seen a system like that before. Anyone else? I worry abt the X just "flopping around" if that makes since. At $350 and local I have consider it. My wife would like to do traveling on the X too, but the Dragon is a 9hr ride from here, and 4-5 hrs is abt her limit even with a Robert Doerr modified seat. So I have been looking at trailers system.

Then I think, what if I plan on traveling with other friends that ride. Would a trailer option be better for that I could carry at least 2 bikes. Of course that option is much more expensive, but then again, we (wife & I) plan on moving out of this home after a few yrs, so a trailer would be nice to help move.

What you guys think?. Yes $$ is a concern, I would like to stay in the $500 range. I know that enclosed ones, even used, go for much higher $$, but I would like to stay in that range. :coffee:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Seems to me there was a thread awhile ago talking about a similar setup. The analysis/reviews/opinions were negative for a number of reasons.

Can't remember all the reasons, the ones I do remember are 1)due to the oiling system of the X. Spinning the rear wheel with the engine not running can cause bad things to happen. The X needs the oil pump pushing the lube through the system. 2) the stresses on the front neck/steering components.

Doug

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Main concerns for me.
  1. Tire wear on rear tire. Tires are too precious too just be rolling to be rolling to me.
  2. Rocks and debris being thrown at the bike continually.
  3. A lot of torque could be put on those straps in some cases. Awful lot of trust $$$$$$ to put in some straps.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Here is something to think about Alex. By me, you can rent a U-Haul single motorcycle trailer for $15/day. If you factor in 1 week long trip/per year, that equates to about $120/year (figure an extra day for pu/return). So it's not until the 4th year that you will come out 'ahead'. Plus, if you add maintenance, storage, etc, it makes it even longer to break even.

I've done this calculation so many times, my head spins. My heart keeps saying "get a trailer", but my mind (and wallet) remind me that I don't need one.:banghead:

As others have said, the dolley system might work for a short trip every now and again, but I wouldn't trust it. I'd buy a regular trailer, if I was going to go that route. Or......just go to U-Haul :D

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
Yeah, rent, or go with an open utility trailer, you can build a front for it. Unless you plan on using the trailer for other things, that would make it more worth while to purchase a good enclosed trailer.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I like the idea but I can't seem to put the trust in something like this. Here's one I had originally thought about since it can be taken apart and stored in a small place. http://trailerinabag.com/index.html Once I got to looking around I found a used enclosed trailer for less so I bought it. I used it for a few years then bought my current one. Used trailer take some searching but a privately owned one is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than one from a dealer even used.

·
Registered
261 Posts
with the bike in neutral and rolling down the road.... the transmission will still be spinning, (it's just not under load from the engine).... HOWEVER...without the engine running there will NOT be any oil pressure to lube the transmission.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your price range will pick up a very nice open utility trailer that is stable, easy to load/unload and has 100's of other uses.
I purchased mine new several years ago. It is a single axle tilt bed, and I limited the amount of tilt with chains on the front and added a 3 ft fold down gate on the rear. It is a low angle to ride the bike on to, and a $59 wheel chock on the front holds the bike in place, while I install the tie-down straps and secure the trailer bed. I use this trailer at least once a month for other things and the 4 times I have hauled the bike have made the cost worthwhile by itself. I think I have about $750 invested total, with some of my free labor making it what I wanted.
I would leave the bike at home before I would use a dolly.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I've seen a couple of trailers similar to the style you posted the link for being sold on ebay and also wondered about the quality of them. The kendonusa trailers are pretty neat in that they don't take up much space but for what they cost, you could easily pick up a used enclosed trailer that would have many other purposes. I've got an enclosed trailer that I use if I need a trailer for the bike. The rest of the time, I keep my lawn equipment in so that it doesn't take up garage space.

·
FDC !! The Real Truth...
855 Posts
Alex.... I found my little trailer rolling down the road sitting on the side in a yard.. I don't like the look of the dolly system at all.... I say that to say this.. check out Craigslist in your area and I'll check around here for used ones... the other thing is both TSC 'Tractor Supply Company' and places like Lowes etc have flatbed trailers for cheap you can put a MC choke on like I did mine and you are off and up out....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...oor-trailer-1-600-lb-payload-capacity-1000231

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2426577274.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2426824421.html

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
My wife would like to do traveling on the X too, but the Dragon is a 9hr ride from here, and 4-5 hrs is abt her limit even with a Robert Doerr modified seat. So I have been looking at trailers system.

:coffee:

Make her follow you in the Expedition...I know she wouldn't mind at all! :D

·
Power Cruiser User
137 Posts
I bought a new enclosed trailer back in 2000 that was a 6x12 with a ramp door (only way to do a motorcycle trailer) aluminum wheels and extra 6" height and stainless front and corners with a large 36" curbside door for $2650. Granted that price was 11 years ago but I haven't regretted buying it ever. Really the only thing I wished I would have gotten on it was brakes.......3 sportbikes in it and all our gear + mountains = hot brakes on the tow vehicle.

I built a cabinet in the front to hold 5 helmets and misc stuff as well as a place to hang our riding gear under that.....works good to hang the straps and bar harness' as well after we unload.

If you are looking for a trailer just to haul 1 vtx I wouldn't look at any enclosed trailer shorter than 10 foot......granted I like to pull the bike forward of the wheel chock when I strap it in. I should have taken a pic of my vtx in the trailer when we went to pick it up last year.....loaded it right down the middle in a wheel chock and straps at all 4 corners and it rode solid all the way home (about 2 1/2 hour drive).

Right now the trailer is housing my pocketbike and some other junk as well as a virago 700 that's for sale.....my mobile garage!

A pic of the new tow beast!

Dragon Slayer 129

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dolly deal is out of my head now. The more I think abt it the more I really thing it is not for me or my peace of mind. Renting a trailer would be a better idea for the time being.

Alex.... I found my little trailer rolling down the road sitting on the side in a yard.. I don't like the look of the dolly system at all.... I say that to say this.. check out Craigslist in your area and I'll check around here for used ones... the other thing is both TSC 'Tractor Supply Company' and places like Lowes etc have flatbed trailers for cheap you can put a MC choke on like I did mine and you are off and up out....

http://www.tractorsupply.com/vehicl...oor-trailer-1-600-lb-payload-capacity-1000231

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2426577274.html
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/2426824421.html
Thanks for the idea guys. I still weighing my options. I just had "gifted" a none running (need battery/and something wrong w/ its deck pulley) John Deere GT262, from my father. Has a Kaw 17hp motor and 48" deck. So I got to put some $$ into that thing. But I already have a mower, 22" craftmans, so MAYBE if I can get it (JD GT262) running right I can sell it w/ a good profit and really dive into searching for a trailer.

Make her follow you in the Expedition...I know she wouldn't mind at all! :D
I can assure you THAT won't happen. She HATES driving that thing. But I love it, will be sad to see it go next summer. Been looking at the 2011 Dodge Chargers RT's......:cheers:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Buy the trailer..... Best of two worlds, Haul bike and anything else you want to for many,many, years..

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have seen one in action and there was wobble while being pulled. Then add in the tire wear, oil issues, rock issues etc. I wouldn't use something like that for my X to even haul it to a stealer....
If you look at my signature file you will see a link for a video of my trailer. Also if you go to my photo's, I have a few there as well.
I started with an exposed trailer and eventually moved to an enclosed as I can use it for other things (moving as an example). Take a look at the video, like Dragon_Slayer, it can be set up to carry spares, gear, etc. The one really big plus of an enclosed trailer is that it is not exposed to the weather or people. It is kept dry and safe, locked behind the doors from prying eyes, fingers and from getting keyed. On reason of moving from the exposed to enclosed.
A group of mine does a couple of rides a year and I haul the trailer with us as a back since it can carry two units or a single trike. It has paid off several times due to break downs and once for a crash on the Dragon's Tail in TN.
Bottomline, it comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
the dolly system is best used on chain drive bikes... remove master link and pull chain.
Like others have said... VTX need oil presure to lube the transmission.. Do not use on a VTX, end of story.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update....

Whelp, ask and you kinda receive. My father is moving back to south TX, and was going to sell his trailer to a neighbor. I advised that I would buy it from him. Whelp...I needed up with a FREE TRAILER. The frame is solid, but the bed/floor was made out of boards that were VERY dry rotted. This is a pic of the trailer board less. Now to find a welder that will put on a bed and some rails. Need to repaint it and run some light for it also.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I built a cabinet in the front to hold 5 helmets and misc stuff as well as a place to hang our riding gear under that.....works good to hang the straps and bar harness' as well after we unload.

If you are looking for a trailer just to haul 1 vtx I wouldn't look at any enclosed trailer shorter than 10 foot......granted I like to pull the bike forward of the wheel chock when I strap it in. I should have taken a pic of my vtx in the trailer when we went to pick it up last year.....loaded it right down the middle in a wheel chock and straps at all 4 corners and it rode solid all the way home (about 2 1/2 hour drive).

Right now the trailer is housing my pocketbike and some other junk as well as a virago 700 that's for sale.....my mobile garage!

Dragon Slayer 129
I'm going to borrow that idea for the helmet holders and the bar below it. That will be a great storage area, I can even stash some spare seats up there and hang an extra jacket and vest. Thanks for the help.

Whelp, ask and you kinda receive. My father is moving back to south TX, and was going to sell his trailer to a neighbor. I advised that I would buy it from him. Whelp...I needed up with a FREE TRAILER. The frame is solid, but the bed/floor was made out of boards that were VERY dry rotted. This is a pic of the trailer board less. Now to find a welder that will put on a bed and some rails. Need to repaint it and run some light for it also.

Weld it to have a square deck and replank it or use 1/2-3/4" plywood to resurface it. Be sure to use womanized wood. Find where you want your D rings on the floor and use blots, washers top and bottom with lock nuts to make sure they don't pull out with just screws. I'd put a stone deflecting front plate on it too. Wood is better than the steel mesh they use on some trailers and ligther than a steel floor too. Add a hinged drive up ramp(mesh is good for this portion of it. and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Weld it to have a square deck and replank it or use 1/2-3/4" plywood to resurface it. Be sure to use womanized wood. Find where you want your D rings on the floor and use blots, washers top and bottom with lock nuts to make sure they don't pull out with just screws. I'd put a stone deflecting front plate on it too. Wood is better than the steel mesh they use on some trailers and ligther than a steel floor too. Add a hinged drive up ramp(mesh is good for this portion of it. and you'll be good to go.
Thanks for the ideas. I wondered abt whether to have the tie downs on the front rail or on the actual floor. I considered also an off set of tie downs should i want to trailer a 2nd bike. A friend wants to do the Dragon later this fall, but he not sure abt the 9hr/500 mile ride down. Wuss!! I didnt even think abt a stone deflector....:hmm2:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts